Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Weinfurther
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for a car racing game recommendation. I have Formula D and I like it a lot, but I am looking for something without the dice and runaway leader problem. I frequently have groups with gaming noobs, so it should be something easy to teach and not too long... 60-90 minutes is a good range. However, it shouldn't be too simple so I don't get bored with it.

It doesn't have to be a racing simulator. So something medium weight (just a bit more involved than Formula D) but easy to teach and lots of fun.

I have read many of the related threads here and have seen many suggestions, but I can't tell if any of the games might be too long or complicated for my group. I have seen Race! Formula 90 described as more of a gamer's game... if so, that might be too complex for my group. It should also be readily available.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Downforce

Maybe you should consider this re-release. The game itself is 40 years old. The winner is the racer with the most money at the end, not the first cart to cross the finish line. It mixes in Camel Up style betting, but you get to play cards that influence how the race cars move. If you car wins, you get more money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´ll say that Thunder Alley sounds exactly like the type of game you are looking for.

It is a card-driven racing game where each player controls a team of cars rather than just a single. The game has quite a heavy emphasis on drafting so it encourages a fair amount of negotiation as players lagging behind group up to form highly efficient draft-line, while trying to push the leaders cars out of the line and in to the wind!
The game also includes a deck of special events that, while being quite random, really contributes to the feeling of being in a chaotic car race.

It is a step up in complexity from Formula D, but it is still very much a medium weight game! Great fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Paladino
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Falco sparverius
mbmbmbmbmb
I will heartily also recommend Thunder Alley. Next to Formula D/De it's my favorite racing game. It's a little heavier than Formula D, but there's a lot more avenues for strategy and clever play, a little less reliance on luck, and the draft mechanic tends to keep packs of cars together and offer some interesting play challenges.

Another good racing themed game to check out is Automobiles. It's a lighter game than Formula D, and it's basically the classic racing game in a Euro game style. It's a little more abstract, but the bag building mechanic, cube shopping, and waste management give you lots of choices about what to do every turn.

For some more ideas, check out this NASCAR themed Geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Its the oldest but Formula 1 is an excellent game if you can get a copy. It might be a little long for modern tastes bust that is not hard to deal with by reducing the number of laps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another recommendation for Thunder Alley, probably the only *good* game that plays 7 that doesn't advertise itself as a party game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
An older list of mine but still a good one.

Zoom into My Top 10 Favorite Auto Racing Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Championship Formula Racing, which is an evolution of the classic racing game Speed Circuit was released this year and is another great step up from Formula D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get Race! Formula 90. It's not complex and after a couple turns it all comes together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.