Orion Mcclelland
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Heroes of Ark Light

I'm working on a smallish project that's a hero vs hero game. I feel like it's kind of generic, but I also want something recognizable as a hero game as that's the whole point. Does that sound corny, cliche, intriguing? Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the words picked, but Ark Light doesn't give me an idea of what the game is or any extra detail.

Heroes of Ark, I like. Dunno what Ark is though. An actual ark or an acronym? Maybe Ark Light: a Hero Game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it's "ark light" and not the usual "arc light," it makes me think it's either A) a game where anthroporphic animals are the heroes, in a Noah's Ark kind of way, or B) a game where Indiana Jones type heroes go around melting faces with light that shoots out of an Ark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes me think about kinds of light-bulb. I know that arc light is spelled differently to your title, but homophones are what they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
get off of the computer.
badge
play the games you have.
mbmbmb
Arklight kind of sounds like a fantasy place. I'd make it one word.

Keeping in mind that I have no idea what you're going for whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Rothlisberger
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes me think of Noah's Ark or the Ark of the Covenant. I've rarely seen the word Ark outside of those uses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My subconscious mind makes my conscious mind expect a religious theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
It sounds intriguing and I too also believe it sounds religious in nature. It also sounds like an Indiana Jones type of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Pissburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds different, but what's an ark light?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mind went and conjured up -- the Light version of 'Heroes of Ark', whatever that is. Probably not what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teejay Gatsby
United States
California
flag msg tools
Not sure I'm digging it 100% either.

What is this Ark Light? Is it a futuristic gun capable of sending out a devastating arc of light that disintegrates the other hero, and we've decided to misspell arc for funsies? Or is it a tiny Noahs Ark where Noah and the Elephants battle it out to the death on a rowboat where there's not enough space to move about, so it's survival of the fittest.

I think keeping heroes in the title is not a bad idea, but maybe rethink the whole Ark Light. You are making it sound like a town? Maybe? At any rate, if I saw just the title of the game, I am not sure it would draw me in to learn more.

That being said, I am no guru at inventing names for games. I would get as many opinions as possible and try the Facebook group for BGG and post a poll on there, you will get more feedback then you ever wanted, but it will help.

Good luck and happy Ark Lighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk K

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is Ark Light? What kind of Heroes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, it sounds like the titles of dozens of other games on the market. As others have posted, perhaps it needs to be more descriptive of the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My brain keeps trying to parse "ark" as an adjective modifying the noun "light" and failing to interpret your title in a way that makes sense. I mean, I guess that could be a light on board or coming from an ark, but why would heroes be "of" a specific light source? Or maybe "Light" is the proper name of some specific ark, so you can have "the ark Light" like "the starship Enterprise."

Your title could probably do more to encourage a specific mental image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find myself wondering if Heroes of Ark Light is a lighter version of Heroes of Ark?

Could/should Ark Light be one word, as in Arklight? Or does that mess up everything?

As it is, I find "the other meaning" of "light" trips me up mentally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nissen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Having the first hard sound (k) be so late in the name makes it a little difficult to say.

Heroes is kind of a mushy word, and 'of' and 'ar' don't give you anything to rest on either.

If you said Heroes of 'The' Ark Light, for example would add a harder word sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First place my mind went was, 'that sounds a lot like Arkwright', which is an entirely different kind of game you probably wouldn't want yours confused with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Santos
Uruguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here... i guess my mind went to a more fantasy place like most of the resto... probably because of "Ark"

That said, if you could give us some more info about the setting we could probably give some ideas on the name.

Cheers and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cloud3x3 wrote:
Heroes of Ark Light

I'm working on a smallish project that's a hero vs hero game. I feel like it's kind of generic, but I also want something recognizable as a hero game as that's the whole point. Does that sound corny, cliche, intriguing? Thoughts?

Like some others, I thought "arc light". It's better than "Champions of sodium vapour lamp", I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
cloud3x3 wrote:
Heroes of Ark Light

Like some others, I thought "arc light". It's better than "Champions of sodium vapour lamp", I suppose.

Warriors of Incandescence!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Mcclelland
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
So much good feedback, thanks guys.

This is one of those silly titles that I came up with spontaneously because it sounds good, but I'm not married to. Two things I was considering:

1. "Heroes of" is super generic, but people do notice it. So I'm not sure if it's better to pull on those subconscious strings or to do something different. In marketing, recognizable seems useful until it isn't anymore. There's a reason that so much fantasy stuff has titles like "Sword of the Dragon Archmage Runes: Elven Thrust!" Maybe I'll AB test the names on FB or something.

2. So the reason it is "Ark Light" is because in this world the Ark is a story vehicle and it's an ancient alien technology used to travel between different worlds in the multiverse. Light is the term for the magic/energy/chi that is used to connect, power, and traverse the Ark. Even that part is a pretty standard story trope but the worlds are kind of interesting. Over thousands of years Light has leaked into the worlds that are connected by the Ark and have different effects in each. For instance, in one world, the Light causes organisms' genetics to go astray causing wild evolutions. In another world it causes people to develop super powers.

At any rate, the story details aren't super important because I can mold them over time, I guess my main question is on a gut level are people like "that sounds stupid" or "that sounds interesting". It seems like some people kind of assume it's fantasy and others associate it with religion or sodium lamps. Maybe I can keep the Ark as a concept, but drop it from the title. Maybe light can stay in. I'm not sure, but thanks for the gut check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That description of the Ark as a sci-fi vehicle brought some memories of Halo to my mind. Pretty cool.

My suggestion would be to drop "Heroes of", but it's obviously completely your call. I think regardless of what springs to people's minds you can still use Ark Light, and with some cool sci-fi art of your ark on the cover it should grab attention for sure. I also like the sound of it switched around, like "In the Light of the Ark" or something like that.

Best of luck with your endeavour! Looking forward to seeing more of this design some day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masters of the Ark Light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I hear Heroes of Ark Light, I think of Ark Light...like, fewer calories. But then you ought to spell it Ark Lite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
.. is here!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'Ark light' does sound a little weird.. Plus, it reminds me of the game 'Darklight', so that can't be good.. Some people may confuse it with an expansion for it of some sort!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.