John Gorski
United States
Blairstown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a carrier platoon, MG and two infantry companies assaulting from woods into a heavy bocage. There is a strongpoint in the bocage containing an AT gun, infantry platoon and MG. There is light fog.

My question is: can the AT gun Friction Fire at the carrier platoon coming out of the woods to halt it's part in the assault?

I'm a great fan of "Red Winter" and was a P500 purchaser of OpD but only recently was able to get it to the table. This is probably not my last question post.

Shout Out to MikeWhit for his great tutorial videos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't forget that friction fire is only allowed if a unit is moving into or out of a field hex, so in your situation, no matter the weather, you couldn't friction fire.

Also, Friction fire would have no affect on the Carrier Platoon since it is an AFV and friction fire has no affect on AFV's.

The AT Gun could, however, fire anti-armor at the CP as movement is an ARC trigger.

With light fog you can only shoot at an adjacent hex since LOS is only 1 hex. Friction fire does have an exception allowing ranged attacks into an adjacent hex, but only if it is also a field hex.

The difference between anti-tank and ranged attacks can be confusing.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerardo Bolanos
msg tools
1) If the attacking units started 2+ hexes away from the strong point and they move adjacent before the assault, the AT gun can fire at the Carrier Platoon (has LOS and it is a movement trigger by a vehicle). Like Bryan mentioned, this isn't Friction Fire but fire as part of the ARC.

2) However, I'm not so sure that the AT gun can fire if the offensive units started adjacent to the strong point. I'm not sure that declaring an assault is considered "movement". Reading rule 9.1, you can find the following comment:"Attacking units do not actually enter the defending hex". Based on this, I would say the AT gun can't fire because there is no movement.

I am certain on 1) but not on 2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think an assault counts as movement even though it uses MP's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for helping out with the answers, guys!

While Reaction Fire (AT guns using AT Fire on Carrier Platoon) might have been possible as the units moved adjacent, it is not possible at the instant of the Assault. As Kenneth says, you're spending MPs to conduct the Assault but not actually moving. At this point, it's all up to the Tactical Advantage procedure to determine how many AT attacks the defenders can make prior to the resolution of the Assault on the CRT. If there are any "D" results on the chit drawn from the cup, the AT guns can fire before the Assault is resolved.

Let me know if you run into any more questions. I'm always happy to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duckweed wrote:

Let me know if you run into any more questions. I'm always happy to help.

that's for sure !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.