Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Larsen
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I was wondering what the nature of the card play in AW will be. Does it involve hidden hands of card or is it a matter of drawing one card at a time.

I ask because the solitaire capability of a game is impacted by hidden hands of cards. On the other hand, systems that allow one card to be drawn at a time, use it or lose it, usually work much better for solo gamers.

I played No Retreat Combat Commander and Up Front solitaire and enjoyed the games, so hidden cards don't make it impossible, and in fact they are still fun games to play. But systems like Piquet (for miniatures) might even enhance their solo capability with their single draw system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rollo il Gatto wrote:
I was wondering what the nature of the card play in AW will be. Does it involve hidden hands of card or is it a matter of drawing one card at a time.

I ask because the solitaire capability of a game is impacted by hidden hands of cards. On the other hand, systems that allow one card to be drawn at a time, use it or lose it, usually work much better for solo gamers.

I played No Retreat Combat Commander and Up Front solitaire and enjoyed the games, so hidden cards don't make it impossible, and in fact they are still fun games to play. But systems like Piquet (for miniatures) might even enhance their solo capability with their single draw system.

Good question!

It will not be a single card draw system. You draw a hand of cards (four to six) each turn. Yes they are hidden. BUT in the case of this game there is still time for me to include a complete solitaire module in it. In fact I will not need extra components as for the event cards I am using part of the features of the cards in the NR solitaire module: Easy to adapt to full solitaire for Absolute War.

Note also that for that game each player has his own deck of cards (so two packs of 55 cards).

Edit: Here is a scoop for you... I might take a long extended leave or even a pre-retirement package from my "real Job" early next year (I am senior IT Engineer for one of the largest private corporations in Canada). If I do this move, it will mean way more time for me to design games, and I do have a project going to make I-phone/I-Pod/Android applets that will allow full solitaire play for that game and the "No Retreat!" games, it also includes a form of adaptative Artificial Intelligence. But I really don't have enough time to do it right now. This would be a really cool project to complete!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Hadjikyriakou
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear you're working on these apps! It is about time we left these cardboard 1950s AI decision trees behind.

I've just started teaching myself Swift to do an AI app for a game I've just started designing (very early days). It might be worth setting up a section on BGG for board game AI app design so people can share learning about how to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.