Subject: Wooden Divider - With portability and sleeves in mind rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Dovan
Australia
Lugarno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I recently got myself a laser cutter and decided to create a divider for Century Road for the machine's virgin run. After many hours of fiddly measurements, pixel pushing (Sketchup), cutting and finally assembly this is the result. Original design goals = something that isn't too horrible, can take sleeved cards, holds (mostly) everything and is portable. I couldn't figure out a way to put the cups in as well but may, time permitting, make something like a small tray to hold them.

What I learnt :
- This was actually very time intensive and much more fiddly then it first appeared. Foam work is much more easier. Kudos to the guys doing this on a professional level (Broken Token, Go7, MeepleRealty, Daedalus etc).
- I was thinking about engraving some rule reminders on the back but eventually 'burnt out' and decided that it wasn't worth more time (as my life is busy enough and I actually want to be playing games more as opposed to crafting)
- Mistakes were made! The lid doesn't work as well as I hoped - it sort of holds with retention slots but not that well. The weight of the cards combined is too much so I resorted to using a rubber band. My wife suggested a leather strap and this would certainly make it more fancy but ... time (recurring theme here!).
- Also the undertray would be super difficult to take out (even with the finger hold) without fingernails. If I were to go back to the drawing board I would make a circular hole on the base to allow a bit of grip/ friction to make it easier to take out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebeard
United States
Joshua
Texas
flag msg tools
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
badge
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a good first design. If you want to do something like this in the future look into "living hinges". They will allow you to lock the pieces together without the rubber band (or a leather strap). Though getting your first one to work will take many attempts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good insert... but it misses the main point of the bowls.

The bowls themselves are a part of the insert. They are made to speed up setup and tear down.
In the original insert, they are flush with the cover and the cubes won't get out of the bowls even if stored vertically.

In Century, all you need to do to start a game is put the bowls, shuffle the cards and put a few up in both rows.
Your insert requires to take the cubes and put them in the bowls... not the biggest of deals, but it takes a longer time.

Custom inserts are made to speed up setup and teardown, not the opposite... Else just put a bunch of baggies and a deck box to hold the cards and call it a day. They'll serve the same function.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Dovan
Australia
Lugarno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
treebeardtheent wrote:
Looks like a good first design. If you want to do something like this in the future look into "living hinges". They will allow you to lock the pieces together without the rubber band (or a leather strap). Though getting your first one to work will take many attempts.

Thanks Treebeard - I've had a look at that and found a few templates on Thingiverse for it - may experiment with lids using them.

deedob wrote:

The bowls themselves are a part of the insert. They are made to speed up setup and tear down. In the original insert, they are flush with the cover and the cubes won't get out of the bowls even if stored vertically.

In Century, all you need to do to start a game is put the bowls, shuffle the cards and put a few up in both rows.
Your insert requires to take the cubes and put them in the bowls... not the biggest of deals, but it takes a longer time.

Actually this was designed so that you didn't need the bowls - you use the small tray. Admittedly you don't have the upgrade sequence or the aesthetic but after a few games it's quite easy to remember - alternatively I could draw little arrows on the edges of the tray to mark upgrade direction. You gain in portability what you lose in good looks. Also I found that a problem with the original insert was that it didn't take sleeved cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrej Medved
Slovenia
Kozina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it! Congratz on the idea and the final product.
as a first run, it is a success that everything fits together.
Small mistakes are always there, just so that you can improve on next tries.

@deedob
You don't actualy need the bowls to play the game. they are there just for the fancy looks.. and to provoke curses when you try to grab 2-3 cubes and you cannot grab them due to the curve of the bowl.

I think this setup is faster as you just take out the few cards to create 2 rows and the lid already has the cubes sorted.

you can use the bowls to drink sake while playing at traders

Edit: OP was faster than me to reply
p.s. I hate designers that don't show any love to the sleeving community
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
As Andrej mentioned, in my play of the game I found the bowls to be a pain for grabbing cubes. The flat tray looks like it would make grabbing cubes a lot easier.

The divider looks great!

I think I'm getting some laser cutter envy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.