Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Mechanic Idea - Items rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: Originally suggested calling these "Artifacts" not realizing the Guardians expansion already added a different mechanic with this name.

SECOND EDIT: Based on preliminary feedback, got rid of the S.H.I.E.L.D. Scientist idea and went with a high recruit value for each card. Opted to still stick with a separate mechanic from the Thrown Items mechanic, as I felt these should simply be a "use them when they come up" item, not a persistent effect.

THIRD EDIT: Added an effect title for each card, to help explain the intended theme. It may not be necessary, but I think it adds a little something. Also tweaked the recruit values a little to try and help feel out balance for some of the more powerful cards, and added two additional characters - Gambit and Professor X.

ORIGINAL POST:
I've been mulling over this idea for a while and decided to put together a rough draft of a few cards to get some input. Perhaps something like this already exists and I'm not aware of it, but I had an afternoon to kill, so what the heck.

The idea is to add one Item for each Hero character in the game. The cards act as essentially items that are used by and enhance their specific character. So, in order to use say "Vibranium Shield" you have to play a Captain America card first. No Cap card in your hand, no shield bonus that turn.

The Item cards are intended to provide some pretty worthwhile bonuses, but in their rough draft phase I'm sure they could use some balancing - so input is appreciated.

The Item cards would get shuffled into the Hero deck along with the other 14 cards for each character, meaning only really adding 5 cards to each game.

I mocked up 8 Item (ignore the "Artifact" titles) cards to go with some of the core game characters just to get the ball rolling. If the idea seems to gain some traction, I can work on adding more. Again, I appreciate input, I have not had a chance to play test any of these, so definitely consider them a draft. The recruit values are mostly just generic, so feedback on cost values would be helpful.

The thought process for Cap is the bouncing shield throw. Essentially one of your Cap cards can hit every Villain in the city by ricocheting his shield off of them.

For Iron Man, Extremis allows him to summon, or materialize his suit out of his body (depending on the version). So, in this case, it allows you to "summon" one of your Iron Man cards out of your deck. Early on, not as powerful, but later on it gives you the ability to control when say your Rare Iron Man comes up.

Here the theme worked off of Thor's lightning strike - dealing damage to the first Villain, but then chaining to nearby Villains with diminishing amounts of damage.

For Hawkeye it was about precision, so focusing some of your recruit, and in this case attack, to target the top card of the Villain deck without knowing what's there.

Black Widow's gauntlets (aka Stingers) have a feature called "The Widow's Bite" which can either stun an enemy with electricity, or hit them with a full on lethal dose. This gives you the opportunity to choose.

Of all of these, Hulk's has the most chance to be a bit OP, but thematically it fits. The angrier Hulk gets, the stronger he gets, so this card basically lets you intentionally get him angrier by taking on Wounds in order to rile him up and increase the damage of all your Hulk cards up to 3 times.

I tried to keep Spidey as a bit of a lighter weight card to add some balance. So he takes out a lower level character and saves a Bystander in the process. But, I think he could also be beefed up a bit, so suggestions appreciated.

In the old X-Men cartoon series, they had episodes in the future where Wolverine's skeleton was literally floating in a vat, but because some cells were still there, he was still regenerating, so he'd be back sooner or later. In this case, the card allows a Wolverine card in the KO pile to "regenerate" into your discard pile - similar to my custom Phil Coulson "T.A.H.I.T.I. Protocol" card.

Gambit charges up his playing cards, so in this case, he adds an attack point to every other card you play that round - effectively "charging" each card. If combined with some Draw characters, this could start to stack quite a bit.

Professor X uses Cerebro to search for mutants, in this case you can search for a specific Hero card in your deck for immediate use.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New Mechanic Idea - Artifacts
You don't have the Guardians of the Galaxy expansion, I take it?

It introduced the Artifact keyword, which means you play the card and it stays in front of you (you don't discard it at the end of the turn). Artifacts usually have a "once per turn" ability on them.

As for your concept - it's interesting, but the odds of actually pulling one off seem really, really small. You have to hope the Artifact shows up in the HQ, then you need to invest in the Scientists, then you need to hope they all show up in you hand at the same time... I don't see a situation where that's actually worth it. I'd rather just invest in getting heroes.

What you could do, is have a "Lab" section below the HQ, that has the 5 artifacts always available, so you don't need to hope they come out of the hero deck. I'd also ditch the scientists and just buy them with recruit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick V
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think an Artifact or Item deck with a set recruitment cost would work. Spend the points and purchase the top card of the deck. This would function like the Sidekick deck.

I would set the cost at 6-8. You don't want everyone ending up with a huge row of persistant cards in front of them. That would skew the game quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:

It introduced the Artifact keyword, which means you play the card and it stays in front of you (you don't discard it at the end of the turn). Artifacts usually have a "once per turn" ability on them.

As for your concept - it's interesting, but the odds of actually pulling one off seem really, really small. You have to hope the Artifact shows up in the HQ, then you need to invest in the Scientists, then you need to hope they all show up in you hand at the same time... I don't see a situation where that's actually worth it. I'd rather just invest in getting heroes.

What you could do, is have a "Lab" section below the HQ, that has the 5 artifacts always available, so you don't need to hope they come out of the hero deck. I'd also ditch the scientists and just buy them with recruit.

No, I don't have the Guardians expansion, which is why I wasn't sure if the term or concept already existed. This sounds like it would be different than that, so perhaps we should just call them "Items". The intent is definitely not for them to stay in front of you the rest of the game.

I agree that the odds of all factors lining up are slim, that's one of the things I'd like to figure out a better balance on. I wanted them to be hard to get, but a serious bonus if you did, like an "Ultimate Weapon".

I kind of like the idea of a secondary HQ "Lab" section to recruit from, that at least eases up on the requirement of the item coming up at the time you have scientists in your hand. It's possible the Items need some vamping up too to make them more appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_pl0ugh wrote:
I think an Artifact or Item deck with a set recruitment cost would work. Spend the points and purchase the top card of the deck. This would function like the Sidekick deck.

I would set the cost at 6-8. You don't want everyone ending up with a huge row of persistant cards in front of them. That would skew the game quite a bit.

I thought a separate item deck, and the possibility of just using recruit instead of a whole new resource. Perhaps using the idea of a "Lab" HQ section to have all five cards visible, then limiting it so each player can only have one Item in their deck helps focus the strategy?

I suppose if it went to just a much higher recruit value instead of the Research idea, that could work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:

I've mentioned once before that I'd like to see a dedicated Artifacts deck. There are so many unique items in the Marvel Universe that I feel they need a spotlight. Much like Dwiser's idea, combined with the Guardians' artifact rules. However, to make them more versatile, all characters can use them for something, but specific characters get a major advantage. Example:

Spider-Man's Web Shooters
Once per turn, rescue a bystander.
[Spider-Friends] Gain +1 *
[card name includes Spider] Gain +1 ///

So in this case, if you have Web Shooters out, you can rescue a bystander, playing any Spider-Friends card will get you an extra 1 recruit, and Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen, etc., would also get 1 damage. Focusing your deck on Spider characters would be very advantageous.

Similarly for Captain America's Shield, Iron Man's armor, Mjolnir, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would clogging up your deck with Scientists be worth it? And they would be in the Hero deck? That would make some scheme easier perhaps, but limit the amount of Heroes that you can buy. If two came out from the onset, then you would only have 3 Heroes to pick from each turn.

Perhaps it would work better if they had their own deck, and 2-3 were available at a time for purchase. This is an interesting idea, but I never really liked the Alchemy expansion for Dominion, and kind of balked at the idea of a new resource included in X-Men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
Would clogging up your deck with Scientists be worth it? And they would be in the Hero deck? That would make some scheme easier perhaps, but limit the amount of Heroes that you can buy. If two came out from the onset, then you would only have 3 Heroes to pick from each turn.

Perhaps it would work better if they had their own deck, and 2-3 were available at a time for purchase. This is an interesting idea, but I never really liked the Alchemy expansion for Dominion, and kind of balked at the idea of a new resource included in X-Men.

The thought was for the Scientists to be an additional deck next to, or replacement for, the SHIELD Officer deck. Early on when you don't have enough recruit to get higher level heroes, it might be worth using the recruit to get scientists for later on. There is a risk of clogging up your deck, so you wouldn't want to get too many (possibly have a limited number in the game to begin with?) but it would be a method of playing the long game to get big payoffs later.

But, as has been pointed out, the odds of getting all the Scientists you need in your hand at once could create some pretty slim odds - which I'm okay with making it a little harder to get these cards if they have a big enough payout. That Hulk card, for example, could add +3 to every Hulk card played that turn. Assuming your other 5 cards were all Hulk cards and you opted to take 3 wounds, that's an additional 15 attack off that card alone, which could knock off a Mastermind, or help clear the city.

I too am not a huge fan of adding new, unnecessary mechanics, so I definitely think the idea needs some tweaking to streamline it. I appreciate everyone's input so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa V
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the idea, but maybe borrow the mechanics from the "thrown artifact" cards from the Fear Itself expansion. I think the scientists make it too complicated, I think making them costed like another "rare" card in the deck would work better. Having to manage yet another card type (the scientist) would dilute your deck too much while playing.

Curious to see how this evolves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muhlenkamper wrote:
I like the idea, but maybe borrow the mechanics from the "thrown artifact" cards from the Fear Itself expansion. I think the scientists make it too complicated, I think making them costed like another "rare" card in the deck would work better. Having to manage yet another card type (the scientist) would dilute your deck too much while playing.

Curious to see how this evolves...

I'll check out the Thrown Artifact mechanic, but I agree, simplifying to a rare equivalent or higher recruit value would also do the trick. I liked the Thematic idea of the Scientist card, but I'm also not a fan of unnecessary mechanic additions and complications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob REUX
United States
San Diego
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any update on changing these over to be thrown artifacts and the cost now being stars. I like the idea of making these the same cost as the Heroes Rare card. If you're not up for it do you have a PSD file I could take a shot at it? Thanks for the Idea I like it alot and would like to try to make thrown artifacts for many of my favorite characters. I think it has been an underutilized card dynamic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
REUXROB wrote:
Any update on changing these over to be thrown artifacts and the cost now being stars. I like the idea of making these the same cost as the Heroes Rare card. If you're not up for it do you have a PSD file I could take a shot at it? Thanks for the Idea I like it alot and would like to try to make thrown artifacts for many of my favorite characters. I think it has been an underutilized card dynamic.

Sure, I can take a look at it. Got sidetracked on other projects. I for sure want to revisit these, although I'll need to find a new custom print place since PrinterStudio stopped doing them and apparently ArtsCow's cards aren't quite the exact same size.

I'll see if I can work on them over the upcoming holiday break.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob REUX
United States
San Diego
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that's good news. I tend to print at home and sleeve with some standard cards. Not the greatest but it gets the job done and I can play with them until Legendary make real copies of the characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't sleeve, so I liked how PrinterStudio's matched enough to not be noticeable.

I really only do characters or cards that aren't part of any sets - aka my Phil Coulson or Squirrel Girl customs, but PrinterStudio won't do anything with the Legendary Logo attached - must have gotten their hand slapped.

At any rate, I will return to these, if you have any suggestions for modifications to the cards above, or for other existing character "ultimate items" let me know and I'll see if I can work them in during the revamps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted some updated versions, mostly just switching them to recruit value as opposed to the new "tech" mechanic I'd pondered. Also switched the text from "Artifact" to "Item" in order to keep it separate from existing mechanics.

Let me know what you think! Anything and everything can be modified, and I can start working up other characters. If you have ideas for who to do next, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to the Marvel Master Database!

thumbsup

Under the game Modifications tab...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.