Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shortly after release a question was posted asking if you could use Move but not play any cards in order to complete a goal. I didn't have the rulebook with me at the time and didn't want to keep players waiting, so I said it was allowed. Since then other doubts have been popping up as a result: 1, 2, 3, 4.

I just had a proper look into the current rulebook and found the root of the issue. There's a mistake in the description for "Wait".

To put it simply, if you want to use cards you Move. If you don't, you Wait.

So let's clear this up. This is what the rules should have said:

Wait or Move? wrote:
In this phase, you have two choices.

Wait: You may discard as many cards as you like from your hand. These cards go into the Obstacles Discard. You can't discard Bullet Cards this way. Refill your hand back to 4 cards.
Then take the Obstacle from the end of the line (the one on the right, next to the Obstacles Discard) and put it into your Player Discard. After you have done all that, move straight to phase 5| Check the Goals.

Move: If everything looks good, you can choose to simply move to phase 2 (Use cards).

So there you have it. Waiting is a valid way to complete a goal, and the line will scroll slowly. Just like in the original videogame, where time is almost frozen, but still moving slightly.

Once more, I apologize for the initial knee-jerk reaction. Thank you for pointing that out. I hope it's clear now, and I will redirect those threads here.

Have fun with Superhot: The Card Game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To confirm, if you choose to Move, is using at least 1 card mandatory? Or can you choose to Move and then not play any cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
To confirm, if you choose to Move, is using at least 1 card mandatory? Or can you choose to Move and then not play any cards?

If you choose to Move you have to play at least 1 card.

If you don't want to use any cards, you Wait. When you Wait you can choose to not discard any cards. The outcome should be the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kriss pics
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cool, That change my thought on Wait.
No, I now, that is a good way to change your hand, and win Objective.

In the rules, it's seems just a waste of time.
Change your hand and go to 6th...
It use to mean, no hand refill and no objective done.

Beter now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please update the rulebook and post files to the BGG section for custom printing. That would be extremely helpful for tracking clarifications, and it works a lot better than just posting a list of errata (though maintaining a list of errata from the official printed rule book is also useful).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
Please update the rulebook and post files to the BGG section for custom printing. That would be extremely helpful for tracking clarifications, and it works a lot better than just posting a list of errata (though maintaining a list of errata from the official printed rule book is also useful).

Good idea, I don't have the editable files but I'll ask Board & Dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Dufour
msg tools
mbmb
If you wait and discard 3 cards.
Do you take 3 cards from the line of just one
no matter how many cards are discarded ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one, because you didn't get to use them. You're just throwing them away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
If the rightmost card is bullet, does it go to hand or player discard on WAIT?

Never mind. Found another thread: goes to hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
You can go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.
badge
Or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first, huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
If the rightmost card is bullet, does it go to hand or player discard on WAIT?

Never mind. Found another thread: goes to hand.

I have a similar question:

If the rightmost card is facedown because it has been knocked out, on WAIT does it go to your player discard or to the obstacle discard?

pg. 4: "Knock Out: ...when they leave The Line, they go to the Obstacles Discard instead of your Player Discard.
pg. 9 (from above errata): "...Then take the Obstacle from the end of the line (the one on the right, next to the Obstacles Discard) and put it into your Player Discard."

I'm in the middle of my first game, so I am going to assume that when using the Wait choice, the last obstacle is not technically "leaving The Line." This would make sense thematically since time is only moving ever so slightly when you wait, and a knocked-out enemy could be useful as a human shield. This would mean you are taking advantage of it in some way, and it should become part of your player deck (to be drawn on a future turn), not simply a body on the ground that is no longer a threat in the near future (which is what it would be in your obstacle discard pile).

Let me know if that is correct.

THANKS! I love having access to designers here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmmayo wrote:
If the rightmost card is facedown because it has been knocked out, on WAIT does it go to your player discard or to the obstacle discard?

Face down obstacle cards always go to the obstacle discard when they leave the line. That's part of the reason why you'd Knock them Out (block their ability and prevent it from going into your hand/deck).

cmmayo wrote:

You're welcome! I'm here to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
You can go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.
badge
Or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first, huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
gr9yfox wrote:
cmmayo wrote:

Face down obstacle cards always go to the obstacle discard when they leave the line. That's part of the reason why you'd Knock them Out (block their ability and prevent it from going into your hand/deck).

cmmayo wrote:

You're welcome! I'm here to help.

Thanks for the response. I lost so quickly, it didn't matter that I played that wrong.

I think you have a real winner here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edouard Paumier
France
flag msg tools
Hello,

For those having trouble remembering the rule of Wait, I use the "Phases in a turn" card and mentally adjust only two phases :

[2] Use cards : discard as many card that you want in the "used cards" section.
[3] Refill your hand : as usual (this moves discarded cards into the "obstacle discard")
[4] Maneuvers : move a single card to the player discard pile
[5] - [7] : as usual

(in bold the differences in regard to a Move turn).

I can follow this more easily because it becomes a single turn flow instead of a 4-step special turn case.

Hope this helps (and maybe it can help a possible rewrite of the rules or of the card).

Sincerely,

PS : Thanks a lot for this game, it's awesome in many many ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in for wanting an updated rulebook. I am trying to play this right now and I just discovered this thread, so I've been playing incorrectly.

Edit: If I've knocked out an obstacle and it's in slot #1, and I decide to wait, it still comes to the player discard, even though I KO'd it because I didn't want it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danaolson wrote:
(...) it still comes to the player discard, even though I KO'd it because I didn't want it?

Don't worry, knocked out cards always go to the obstacles discard when they leave the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc R
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The german rules are a bit confusing regarding "Wait". It should say: "put the card in the 'line' furthest to the right (position 1) into your discard pile." Instead it says: "put the first card in the line (leftmost) onto your discard pile and move to phase 6." It should say 'rightmost' in brackets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Draper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sorry, just one more clarification needed here.
I understand and am thankful for all the other info on the wait option but just wanted it in black and white; when you choose to wait you skip to phase 5 (check the goals) as in your quote, and not to phase 6 (obstacle abilities) as in the rule book?
Or to put it another way, can you confirm the instruction to move to phase 6 after waiting is incorrect, and that you should refill hand and then move to phase 5?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badgerofmight wrote:
(...) when you choose to wait you skip to phase 5 (check the goals) as in your quote, and not to phase 6 (obstacle abilities) as in the rule book?

Yes, this correction was made after the first printing of the game. The new edition by Grey Fox Games already includes this correction.

badgerofmight wrote:
Or to put it another way, can you confirm the instruction to move to phase 6 after waiting is incorrect, and that you should refill hand and then move to phase 5?

That is correct.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robby Fernandez
Australia
flag msg tools
Can I please ask that if the card in slot one is a shotgun, I get to simply put it in my discard pile (if I choose to wait) without getting shot by it?

Thank you so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speedy F wrote:
Can I please ask that if the card in slot one is a shotgun, I get to simply put it in my discard pile (if I choose to wait) without getting shot by it?

Thank you so much!

That's right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robby Fernandez
Australia
flag msg tools
Thank you so much! It was my first play through and a first victory. Although it was getting close to uncomfortable - Lots of bullets getting added in the last few turns!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Ducat
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This change of rule is very big ! i missed it. Hence i have never understood before why wait was useful (as you never refill your hand... and do not check goals)

It will really ease my future games I think.
This is really powerful to clean your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.