Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris K
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While it's fine to "share the victory" with an opponent, Ships is too long and intense of a game to not have a tie-breaker in my opinion. Here are some possible tie-breakers that I came up with. (Of course, there are some of you that will say sharing the victory is fine. Great! But I'd still like to hear some other opinions.) So, in no particular order:

1. Player with the most ships on the board at the end.
I like this one because the name of the game is, after all, Ships. Plus, having more ships on the board is likely to be more of a detriment than an advantage.

2. Player with most VPs from conversions of gold and/or resources.
This one rewards players for putting out cubes & discs. Additionally, these players made a point of getting more cubes and/or foregoing putting cubes in the Spice Box, which can be a big point earner. One possible negative is that this would require players to keep track of how many points they earned from conversion which may be a pain.

3. Player to get to Region 7 first or be closest to Region 7.
The few plays I've had, all players eventually get a cube and/or disc in Region 7. Of course, this could be by dent of drafting off of an opponent's advancements but them's the breaks. Still, this one seems perhaps weakest to me.

I'd love to hear any comments or other suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, if you want to these are certainly the usual suspects for a tie breaker... But I disagree with the initial premise that the game is too long for a tie breaker to be absent. I think it's rather the opposite! There have been a gazillion actions... And now you want to assign meaning to an event which is so uncertain that it might as well be random? To each his own, I guess; but I think I am content to call it a tie meeple: too close to tell for certain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose people's perceptions will differ on what constitutes a "long game". I've played Ships a handful of times, all at three players, and games have been in the 2.5-3 hour range. That will no doubt decrease as players become more familiar with the game, but as it stands now, that's too long to play to leave the table with a tie, in my opinion.

Anyway, I always appreciate your input, Maarten. Thanks for responding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
If you want to then you could also track who received the least malus points on the age track? That is something you can at least influence during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.