Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I refer, of course, to the classic British game wherein players attempt to wend their way through the London Underground map by claiming stations. The winner is the 1st to arrive at Mornington Crescent, but only when all players are in knip.

It sounds like some of the basic mechanics here are reminiscent of some classic MC maneuvers, such as the double-loop.

-kl

PS- I'm saddened that MC doesn't have its own BGG entry, but I suppose as their really isn't a board, or cards, it is understandable. It's more a form of verbal chess, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty B
United States
Upstate
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Re:Why does this game remind me of Mornington Crescent?
klarkinhistrep (#28882),

>Why does this game remind me of Mornington Crescent?

To answer this question, one needs to reflect upon the original rules of Mornington Crescent (which are so widely known they need hardly be repeated here) prior to the international adoption of the Vicar of Exeter variant, without lateral substitution. Because one could not legally move transversely from a north line station, common (though somewhat uninspired and tedious) play often involved either gambits (such as Admiral Holloway's Folly and the Sherkston-Marbury) or direct incursions (e.g., The Honey). Accordingly, when faced with such moves as "Charing Cross" or "Hyde Park Corner", which are today easily met with the Lumley Defence, pre-amendment players had few options other than those which would either: (1) potentially violate the rule against cross-line blocking; or (2) prematurely end the game.

Perhaps this is why this game feels so familiar.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottBecker (#33411),

Scott, thank you for your wonderful explanation. I am glad I am not alone in noticing the similarities.

I am especially grateful for your reference to the Vicar of Exeter variant, a subject on which my ignorance is, frankly, apalling. I am more fluent with Stovold's 2nd amendment, which I find to be a game that is both deep and elegant, with the agonizing decision of when you to leave your laterals exposedin order to attempt a daring double-loop, etc.

I am afraid I am not a skilled practitioner of the great game, myself. As an American (New Yorker), I am more familiar with the much more bland NYC IND/IRT station names (can you imagine a member of the MCC nominating "23rd Street"?), and, when the opportunity to play MC arises, cannot resist the temptation to declare "Elephant & Castle". It has been brought to my attention that this is a puerile gambit, with a great risk for being blocked and with few potential diagonals to traverse, but I just can't resist saying "Elephant & Castle".

-kl

PS- Why does Tim Brooke-Taylor NEVER win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Walker
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
klarkinhistrep (#33456),

I hope your fascination with Elephant & Castle doesn't stretch to a visit. It's other claim to fame is being the location of an architectual disaster, anyone who has exited there from the Bakerloo or Northern lines will confirm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bribaba (#33469),

It's really just a fascination with the name. In my visits to London, I have never actually been to that station. would you please elaborate?

Big-time MC players seem to avoid it, as well.

-kl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Walker
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
klarkinhistrep (#33484),

The area is a but of a joke amongst Londoners. It's hard to describe the full horror of emerging from the underground station, and being confronted with the horror that is the Elephant & Castle roundabout. There's something post-apocalyptic about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lea
United Kingdom
Leeds
County: West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm very pleased to hear that MC appears to have an enthusiastic group of fans on the other side of the herring pond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rplea (#38767),

The question remains, why does Tim Brooke-Taylor never win? (Admittedly, most of my exposure comes from late 90s re-runs on BBC7...)

-kl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lea
United Kingdom
Leeds
County: West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
klarkinhistrep (#38789),
I tuned in to today's edition of ISIHAC, just in the hope of furthering my insights into the gameplay of MC. Unfortunately they did not play, and I had to make do with listening to them playing Strip Poker instead, with Samantha as dealer. (The sound of Tim removing his corset was not pleasant). I believe that the reason he always loses at MC is that he has difficulty in visualising spatial problems when there are no visual cues. That and the fact that he doesn't use the Underground - you don't need to when you've got your own chauffeur.
It's surprising that when every pathetic game show on TV has its own boardgame spin-off, there is yet to be one produced for MC. There are, however quite a lot of webpages about the game on Google UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rplea (#38853),

A company called Dvorak has a print-your-own-cards edition, but I think all you really need is a map of the Underground, and the careful study of hundreds of years of play by the great masters.

-kl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.