Subject: Reccomendation for a friend rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabor Ironat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello guys on of our best friends birthday is coming, so my wife and i want to give him a game that he can play with his wife and with us, that eans a game that can be played 2 to 4 players (also something different to what we have so there is more variety in the group).

The only game he has is Catan, but this are the games they both enjoy and are good at:

Castles of Burgundy.
Scythe.
Coup.
Pandemic (original and legacy).
7 Wonders.
Betrayal at house in the Hill.
Ticket to Ride (and Europe.

This are the games we currently have:

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Tanori

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Can you give us an idea of what games they DIDN'T like?

It seems like it may be safer to just give them one of the games out of your collection that they liked and just replace the space in your collection with something from your wishlist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Ironat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Well, he didt like Eldritch Horror, Ghost Stories, Flash Point and Mysterium.

I dont know, giving one of the games we have would seem cheap on my part... i preffer getting him something new...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
What about Terra Mystica? It's a highly rated game that's stood the test of time. A little tough to learn, but really it's pretty simple once you get playing. I thought of this because of Scythe, which was inspired by TM.

You could also consider Terraforming Mars. It's hugely popular and isn't too tough of a game to learn, though it does take a while to play.

The other option is to go with some some old(er) games that have stood the test of time. Tigris & Euphrates, Ra, Alhambra, Stone Age, Kingdom Builder, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Ironat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PerpetualFX wrote:
What about Terra Mystica? It's a highly rated game that's stood the test of time. A little tough to learn, but really it's pretty simple once you get playing. I thought of this because of Scythe, which was inspired by TM.

You could also consider Terraforming Mars. It's hugely popular and isn't too tough of a game to learn, though it does take a while to play.

The other option is to go with some some old(er) games that have stood the test of time. Tigris & Euphrates, Ra, Alhambra, Stone Age, Kingdom Builder, etc.

Thank you, ill look up on those games, is Terra Mystica too similar to Scythe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds he's liking some classics (catan, 7 wonders, TTR and pandemic are four of the six games with the most votes here on BGG), so how about one of the other two from that top six? (Carcassonne or Dominion)

I don't think Terra Mystica is very fun with two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Tanori wrote:
PerpetualFX wrote:

I don't find Terra Mystica close to Scythe at all, other than it has a player board that's upgradeable. There's no conflict other than blocking a space someone might want to go to, which is probably the biggest difference, but in general they're totally different games. There's no resource collection in TM like there is in Scythe, you don't move people around the map like you do in Scythe (just terraform spaces next to you and put buildings on them), there's no worker placement like there is in Scythe, and there's nothing in Scythe that comes close to the bowls of power from Terra Mystica. They're definitely different enough to own/play both.

I agree with Olafslomp that Terra Mystica might no be best with 2, but I had fun with it at 2, whereas I found Scythe a horrible 2 player game.

+1 to Olafslomp's suggestions of Carcassone or Dominion, both great games that play well at all player counts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Nelmark
United States
Saint Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Istanbul
Five Tribes
Century Spice Road
Dream Home
Kingsburg
Adventureland
Raiders of the North Sea
Stockpile

Those are all good 2 player and more games that are fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Ironat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PerpetualFX wrote:
Tanori wrote:
PerpetualFX wrote:

I don't find Terra Mystica close to Scythe at all, other than it has a player board that's upgradeable. There's no conflict other than blocking a space someone might want to go to, which is probably the biggest difference, but in general they're totally different games. There's no resource collection in TM like there is in Scythe, you don't move people around the map like you do in Scythe (just terraform spaces next to you and put buildings on them), there's no worker placement like there is in Scythe, and there's nothing in Scythe that comes close to the bowls of power from Terra Mystica. They're definitely different enough to own/play both.

I agree with Olafslomp that Terra Mystica might no be best with 2, but I had fun with it at 2, whereas I found Scythe a horrible 2 player game.

+1 to Olafslomp's suggestions of Carcassone or Dominion, both great games that play well at all player counts!

Well just ordered carcassone, hope he likes it.

Thank you guys for all your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.