Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Holdfast: Pacific 1941-45» Forums » Rules

Subject: Several Questions sent to WG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Eastep
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just sent these rules questions to Worthington Games:


1. I assume Yokosuka can be captured by controlling the Sea of Japan at the beginning and end of a turn, just as Pearl Harbor can be captured by controlling the Hawaiian Islands. Correct? Are the Saigon, India, Singapore, or Australian ports uncapturable since each is attached to a land mass that can't be surrounded by sea areas on the mapboard?

2. If Yokosuka or Pearl are controlled by the enemy, what happens to the reinforcements that are supposed to come in? Does it make a difference if the ports are controlled by the enemy but not the sea area?

3. I assume when one side withdraws from a battle, not all the units from the winning side have to pursue, e.g., three battle ships withdraw, the staying side has six battle ships, but can choose to pursue with only three ships, correct? And if so, I also assume that only the units that actually pursue would be subject to return fire from the withdrawing units.

4. Re: surface combat against aircraft carriers and transports, the rule says: "Aircraft carriers and transports do not fire during surface combat and CAN NOT be targeted until the battle station position of the opposing side has no opposing ships in it." To be clear, does this mean only after all of the ships in the carrier/transport player's side have to have been destroyed or disabled can the carriers/transports be targeted, presumably in the next surface battle round? Or does it mean that if, for instance there are 4 surface ships in the battle station position on the carrier/transport player's side, but the opposing player has more than 4 surface ships on his side, he can attack the carriers/transports?

5. Are all units in a battle exposed before the Air/Surface combat preferences are made? Are they exposed before submarines declare their targets?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck on receiving an answer!

I wish the designers would just visit these forums once in awhile. I can't understand not having the pride of authorship after designing a game to see what questions are arising and following players' discussions and impressions concerning the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaufschtick
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
roger-e wrote:
I just sent these rules questions to Worthington Games:


1. I assume Yokosuka can be captured by controlling the Sea of Japan at the beginning and end of a turn, just as Pearl Harbor can be captured by controlling the Hawaiian Islands. Correct? Are the Saigon, India, Singapore, or Australian ports uncapturable since each is attached to a land mass that can't be surrounded by sea areas on the mapboard?

2. If Yokosuka or Pearl are controlled by the enemy, what happens to the reinforcements that are supposed to come in? Does it make a difference if the ports are controlled by the enemy but not the sea area?

3. I assume when one side withdraws from a battle, not all the units from the winning side have to pursue, e.g., three battle ships withdraw, the staying side has six battle ships, but can choose to pursue with only three ships, correct? And if so, I also assume that only the units that actually pursue would be subject to return fire from the withdrawing units.

4. Re: surface combat against aircraft carriers and transports, the rule says: "Aircraft carriers and transports do not fire during surface combat and CAN NOT be targeted until the battle station position of the opposing side has no opposing ships in it." To be clear, does this mean only after all of the ships in the carrier/transport player's side have to have been destroyed or disabled can the carriers/transports be targeted, presumably in the next surface battle round? Or does it mean that if, for instance there are 4 surface ships in the battle station position on the carrier/transport player's side, but the opposing player has more than 4 surface ships on his side, he can attack the carriers/transports?

5. Are all units in a battle exposed before the Air/Surface combat preferences are made? Are they exposed before submarines declare their targets?


Good questions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Korstick
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to number was answered in a previous thread.
But also covered in the rules. See the 1st paragraph of page 6 under Surface combat:
Aircraft Carriers and Transports CAN NOT be targeted until the battle station position of the opposing side has no opposing ships in it.


So you cannot attack Aircraft Carriers or Transports until there are no ships left in the battle stations meaning all ships there have to be sunk or disabled. Extra ships after each ship is targeted can only attack ships in the battle station area until no more ships are there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Korstick
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just looked up the answer to number 5:

Page 4 under Combat:
All units except Aircraft Carriers and Transports are placed in the battle station section of the battle board. Carriers and Transports are placed in their box. All task force blocks are placed in appropriate sections.
Then you proceed to 1 round of submarine combat and then you determine air or surface.
So yes all unit are exposed on the battleboard before any combat takes place.
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Eastep
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Von Korstick wrote:
The answer to number was answered in a previous thread.
But also covered in the rules. See the 1st paragraph of page 6 under Surface combat:
Aircraft Carriers and Transports CAN NOT be targeted until the battle station position of the opposing side has no opposing ships in it.


So you cannot attack Aircraft Carriers or Transports until there are no ships left in the battle stations meaning all ships there have to be sunk or disabled. Extra ships after each ship is targeted can only attack ships in the battle station area until no more ships are there.


That's probably the correct interpretation, I was just looking for clarification. Battle example 3 has a similar situation to what I was using as an example, and it didn't mention an attack on the Japanese carrier as an option for the extra Allied ship.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Eastep
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Von Korstick wrote:
I just looked up the answer to number 5:

Page 4 under Combat:
All units except Aircraft Carriers and Transports are placed in the battle station section of the battle board. Carriers and Transports are placed in their box. All task force blocks are placed in appropriate sections.
Then you proceed to 1 round of submarine combat and then you determine air or surface.
So yes all unit are exposed on the battleboard before any combat takes place.


Ok, thanks. Sometimes I miss the obvious when I read the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Eastep
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Von Korstick wrote:
The answer to number was answered in a previous thread.


Which question? And which thread was it answered in?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
“Knowing where the trap is—that's the first step in evading it.”
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I also sent in three questions. When I get a response I will post it.

Three questions related to Land units

After successfully invading, does the land unit return to port like surface ships or stay there? For example, the Japanese invade Guadalcanal - do they put a garrison marker and return to Truk, etc.?

Which brings me to – can a land unit move to an existing base? If so, does that mean it + the garrison defend? Or just the land unit?

Finally – why can’t air units attack a garrison / defending land unit? Certainly the did so in the war, yes?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Korstick
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry that should have said answer to number 4
We really don't need any help in destroying carriers in this game. Air attacks and submarines more than do the job since they are hit on 4+
If the 2 games I have played so far there were very few carriers left on either side which didn't equal historical accuracy but the battleship survival plays out accurately. I would have liked to see a rule where carriers can use their air attack dice to defend air attacks instead of attacking. Maybe blocking a hit on a role 6. They role dice equal to attack strength. After all they did have their own fighter cover. But that would probably just make the game longer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaufschtick
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Question #2 is important. Pretty sure if Yokosuka is captured, as in the original, no more Japanese reinforcements. As long as it's in enemy hands, that is.

The big question is what happens if Pearl is captured. If it's captured early and no more reinforcements are allowed...could be game.

The original game had all listed reinforcements entering as lost on their turn of entry if the port were entering at was enemy controlled.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Eastep
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 2 is critical to the game I'm currently playing: I lost Pearl on turn 4. We've been playing it that my reinforcements still come into the Hawaiin Islands, but since the bulk of the Japanese fleet is there, the arriving ships are getting chewed up. I think the rule should allow for the reinforcements to come in to an alternate port.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaufschtick
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
roger-e wrote:
Question 2 is critical to the game I'm currently playing: I lost Pearl on turn 4. We've been playing it that my reinforcements still come into the Hawaiin Islands, but since the bulk of the Japanese fleet is there, the arriving ships are getting chewed up. I think the rule should allow for the reinforcements to come in to an alternate port.


That alternate port in the original VITP was Samoa. That was the only alternate allowed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Eastep
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Curmudgeon wrote:
roger-e wrote:
Question 2 is critical to the game I'm currently playing: I lost Pearl on turn 4. We've been playing it that my reinforcements still come into the Hawaiin Islands, but since the bulk of the Japanese fleet is there, the arriving ships are getting chewed up. I think the rule should allow for the reinforcements to come in to an alternate port.


That alternate port in the original VITP was Samoa. That was the only alternate allowed.


That certainly seems reasonable.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaufschtick
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
roger-e wrote:
Old Curmudgeon wrote:
roger-e wrote:
Question 2 is critical to the game I'm currently playing: I lost Pearl on turn 4. We've been playing it that my reinforcements still come into the Hawaiin Islands, but since the bulk of the Japanese fleet is there, the arriving ships are getting chewed up. I think the rule should allow for the reinforcements to come in to an alternate port.


That alternate port in the original VITP was Samoa. That was the only alternate allowed.


That certainly seems reasonable.


In VITP, the reinforcements and the reapir points transferred to Samoa if Pearl were to be captured.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaufschtick
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Several Questions sent to WGP
The RPs got errata...to miss Samoa as an alternate if Pearl were captured would be a huge miss.

I don't think Samoa is an alternate as in the original. But what happens to reinforcements if the port is captured? Lost or delayed?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grant wylie
United States
va. beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I assume Yokosuka can be captured by controlling the Sea of Japan at the beginning and end of a turn, just as Pearl Harbor can be captured by controlling the Hawaiian Islands. Correct? Are the Saigon, India, Singapore, or Australian ports uncapturable since each is attached to a land mass that can't be surrounded by sea areas on the mapboard?

Worthington Answer: CORRECT ON BOTH. UNDER RULE 10 SECOND PARAGRAPH THE KEY WORD IS “WITHIN”.

2. If Yokosuka or Pearl are controlled by the enemy, what happens to the reinforcements that are supposed to come in? Does it make a difference if the ports are controlled by the enemy but not the sea area?

Worthington Answer: THE NEXT CLOSEST FRIENDLY CONTROLLED PORT. IF THERE ARE NONE THEN YOU’VE LOST.

3. I assume when one side withdraws from a battle, not all the units from the winning side have to pursue, e.g., three battle ships withdraw, the staying side has six battle ships, but can choose to pursue with only three ships, correct? And if so, I also assume that only the units that actually pursue would be subject to return fire from the withdrawing units.

Worthington Answer: CORRECT

4. Re: surface combat against aircraft carriers and transports, the rule says: "Aircraft carriers and transports do not fire during surface combat and CAN NOT be targeted until the battle station position of the opposing side has no opposing ships in it." To be clear, does this mean only after all of the ships in the carrier/transport player's side have to have been destroyed or disabled can the carriers/transports be targeted, presumably in the next surface battle round? Or does it mean that if, for instance there are 4 surface ships in the battle station position on the carrier/transport player's side, but the opposing player has more than 4 surface ships on his side, he can attack the carriers/transports?

Worthington Answer: AIRCRAFT CARRIERS AND TRANSPORTS CAN NOT BE TARGETED UNTIL THE BATTLE STATION POSITION OF THE OPPOSING SIDE HAS NO OPPOSING SHIPS IN IT.

5. Are all units in a battle exposed before the Air/Surface combat preferences are made? Are they exposed before submarines declare their targets?

Worthington Answers: ALL UNITS EXCEPT AIRCRAFT CARRIERS AND TRANSPORTS ARE PLACED IN THE BATTLE STATION SECTION OF THE BATTLE BOARD. CARRIERS AND TRANSPORTS ARE PLACED IN THEIR BOX. ALL TASK FORCE BLOCKS ARE PLACED IN APPROPRIATE SECTIONS. THEN YOU PROCEED TO 1 ROUND OF SUBMARINE COMBAT AND THEN YOU DETERMINE AIR OR SURFACE.
ALL UNITS ARE EXPOSED ON THE BATTLEBOARD BEFORE ANY COMBAT TAKES PLACE.

Thanks,
Worthington Publishing
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grant wylie
United States
va. beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I just sent all collected questions and answers as a file to the geek administrators. Hopefully it will be posted in the next day or two.

Thanks,
Grant
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Eastep
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Grant!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaufschtick
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
roger-e wrote:
Thanks, Grant!


Ditto for me as well! That's a nice Q&A document!
thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.