Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Carlson
United States
Cloquet
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in 2012, Sentinels of the Multiverse was my "breakthrough" from Scrabble, Monopoly, and Canasta. Since then, 70 different titles played and manageable collection of 25 games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B.
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
I don't design games, I play them!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt8987 wrote:
Since then, 70 different titles played and manageable collection of 25 games

So... you haven't really had a breakthrough yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride and Forbidden Island followed closely by 7 Wonders. That and finding out our close friends were really into Dominion and Catan really propelled me into the hobby. I found BGG looking for a copy of Colosseum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Blood Bowl (Third Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wacht am Rhein
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess Magic: The Gathering did it for me.

In my childhood I played a lot of games. Some a little special, others the regular stuff. But after playing Magic for some time, I got introduced to other games, like Elfenland, Ricochet Robots and Catan: Cities & Knights.

Still going up from there....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably Star Wars Customizable Card Game by Decipher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Nuss
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a few great games in recent years, probably starting with Dominion. However, I haven't been that interested in the hobby until a few months ago when some friends brought over Champions of Midgard. This worker placement mechanic/beautiful theme really opened me up to a new world of gaming I didn't know existed. I became very interested in seeing what other types of games were out there.

Since then (Februaryish), I have probably picked up a dozen new games and have a decent wish list with some more I'm looking forward to adding to my "collection!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
if I'm Andy, is Zack April? seems right...
badge
"When I get bummed out, I take my shirt off because the bad feelings make me feel sweaty."
mbmbmbmbmb
I had always liked playing games. I played Magic, YuGiOh, Pokemon...Monopoly, Clue...all of the standard games

and then a few years ago I was introduced to Dominion and then I was hooked and can't stop spending money and buying games lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I've been gaming ever since I can remember, so... Hi Ho! Cherry-O, maybe?

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Avalon Hill's Panzer Blitz. My father bought it, as he liked the idea of wargames better than actually playing them (Years later he later repeated this pattern with PC videogames for a few months in the late '90's). I was fascinated by it as a child, and as soon as I could comprehend the rules I played the Hell out of that one.

That was the gateway for me for games beyond Risk, Monopoly and a few other family-oriented mass market games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played Risk/Monopoly as a child........I could play a game everyday for the next 5 years and not surpass how many times I played these as a child.
However, I would say that games like Marvel Superheroes TSR RPG, HeroQuest were some of my first modern-esque games.........then I dabbled in Warhammer 40K and some Hero clicks by wizkids....then I took a hiatus and then I started having party nights and started playing Apples to Apples and other party games. Then I evolved to the modern day games like Ticket to Ride now I play games like Last Will, Trickerion, Telestrations, Blood Rage, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, it was a long time ago cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was HeroQuest. That's the first game I remember owning and getting excited about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Nelmark
United States
Saint Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride would be the first game that got me hooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hackman
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game night we played Puerto Rico and Fantasy Business.

For some reason the idea of a game about developing a Caribbean Island wowed me much more than elves and ogres and trolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, when I as about 10 or so, I had an older friend, (about four years older than I was), who I used to play Stratego and chess with. He then introduced me to The Battle of the Bulge. The mechanics were a little challenging for a 10 year old, but I loved the whole wargame concept.

Then in high school I found a group of guys who had started a wargaming club, so I attended, and rediscovered my love of wargames.
One of my very first purchases was .....

eddy_sterckx wrote:

Yeah, it was a long time ago cool

Great Game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was introduced to Pandemic on a New Years Eve 2013. I was blown away at how amazing it was. Shortly after, I bought a copy and my wife and I played it hundreds of times over the next several months. It wasnt until about July of that same year that I came across this site and diving into the world of board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had four main generations of being a gamer.
Gen 1:
I played games as a kid, and have always loved board games - mostly the usual but the "unusual" (less common) ones as a kid were Rich Uncle, Sinking of the Titanic, and The Inventors. (I still have Rich Uncle, bought Titanic on ebay about ten years ago, and recently found The Inventors at a thrift store.)
Gen 2:
A wave of MB Gamemaster games in high school (Axis and Allies, Fortress America, Shogun)
Gen 3:
Dabbled in M:tG in college, bought maybe 2 half-size card boxes full before realizing, I'm in college, I can't afford this. D&D, spades, and Backgammon.
Gen 4: (Current gen)
Went to a few game nights where we played party games which were fun and I still like, but my first "Wow!" moment was Battlestar Galactica. Soon after, a gift card to a game store got me Arkham Horror. Been "into" gaming ever since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The beginning of "wow I really enjoy getting together with friends and playing a game!" was Cards Against Humanity. Yes, I loved it, whatever.

The first "real" game that hooked me though was Dominant Species. My once-a-year Risk group had someone bring it out one time since he thought it looked cool, not realizing how heavy a game it was. We tried it begrudgingly, all LOVED it, and thus the rabbit hole was opened.

I blame him for my addiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fireteam Zero

I had read the books that the game is based on and followed the author's blog. I saw he was working on designing a board game and it opened my eyes to the world to designer board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was the Japanese wargame
Leopard II, totally unplayable but an incredible simulation model. Now I mostly play Kingdomino. A development from maximal complexity towards max playability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
None of your business

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think it was Tactics II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.