Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Memoir '44» Forums » General

Subject: How much of a second base set is required for the Overlord scenarios? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Gent
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, sorry if this is an obvious question but I couldn't find an answer doing a search on BGG and Google.

How much of a second base set is required for the Overlord scenarios?

I have recently picked up a second copy of the base game in a charity shop and it is missing some bits. This is the list of stuff I'm missing:

German

1 x tank
2 x infantry

US

1 x tank
2 x infantry
1 x artillery

Game

2 x Terrain tiles
1 x Section card

Are these omissions likely to impinge on my ability to play Overlord scenarios or will I have enough components/tiles/cards?

Thanks for any help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether you have enough units depends on the scenario. Each base set has 10.5 infantry units (4 figures each). Most scenarios don't use more than 20 infantry units, but there might be one or two that use 21.

Same deal for tanks.

Why not just plan/review/play some OL games and see?

As for the missing section card, you will have a missing section card if you are combining the two decks to make an overlord deck. How you feel about that is up to you. If you are using the Overlord Expansion card deck then not a problem.

Regarding missing terrain, again that depends on the scenario. Why worry about it now? Why not look at the OL scenarios you have at hand and see if you can set them up and play them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are workarounds if you don't have enough figures for a scenario.

1. Instead of putting N figures in a hex, just put 1 figure with N-1 disks (like small poker chips) underneath that figure.

2. Substitute a small wooden cube for a missing figure and take that cube as the first casualty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know when I've run out of figures I just sub in either Russians or Japanese, Equipment pack figures, or other minis I have around. But if you don't have the expansions, any game piece/token, coin, rock whatever will work. Casualties will mount pretty quickly and you can swap out the temporary token.

If you purchase the OL expansion, you have the little cardboard chits as an alternative, but I prefer to use those to mark ordered units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will generally still be fine. The one missing Section card is unlikely to swing the outcome of a battle, few Overlord scenarios use all the pieces for both sides, and you can always just substitute a cube/meeple/coin for a piece on the front lines and make that one take the first losses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you sleeve your cards, you can probably scan a copy of the missing section card and print it out. The sleeves will help conceal that the card is not an original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the OL Expansion is nice because you get cards that better describe their function. As previously stated, poker chips work to indicate the unit size, or I like to substitute other Nation's pieces - U.S. for Allies, Japanese for Russian (or vice-versa). Also, the chits that come with the Expansion can also be used. As unit pieces die, I substitute them back in with the used chits, or other items, I use to denote the unit size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also pick up cheap WWII minis, in any quantity, from:
http://historicalboardgaming.com

I bought replacement artillery pieces from this site, because I felt the pieces in the box are too flimsy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.