Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is the Wittman recruitment tile supposed to have a breaking point icon? If so, that is errata, because it does not have one?

If it isn't supposed to have a breaking point icon, then why does the reverse side show 11 points for breaking? Is that errata?

Finally, if Wittman is worth points for breaking, then is he the only Officer Recruitment Tile that does give points for breaking? Or, despite the fact he has the gold leaves icon, he isn't considered an Officer?

Thanks

Oh, and if anyone is aware of any ruling as to what Blitzkrieg and Initiative do, please let me know . [edit - blitzkrieg has now been defined in the compendium: https://www.devil-pig-games.com/en/forum/?action=viewtopic&t....3]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Breakpoints are really not relevant for recruitment tiles with a single unit on them. When you have killed everything in the recruitment tile you get the victory points. Breakpoints only really matter if there is more than one unit on the recruitment tile.

It is the same for Fritz, Helmut, Ludwig or Oros Snowt. Nor does DivisionStab or Fieldkommando. It was not really considered at the time.

They have modified the standard in the later products so that even single unit recruitment tiles have a breakpoint. So now it is treated a bit more consistently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you - you obviously know more about this game than is probably healthy, and I'm getting there fast myself.

Ok, but, and this is why my whole train wreck of a brain thought that the lack of a breaking point indicator was important - because on the 3rd Errata they released a new version of Hobbart - the only difference appears to be that there isn't a breakpoint indicator on the front. I don't know what the back looks like, but I thought maybe they also changed the back so that he isn't worth any points for breaking.

Now, why would they have bothered to release a version of Hobbart just to eliminate a redundant marking? I assumed (wrongfully perhaps) that the change had some real meaning and that officer tiles maybe didn't break for points.

I'm new to the game and only have 6 officer recruitment tiles and NONE of them are worth any points to 'break' nor do any of them have a breaking point marker. (5 of these are field command, 1 is a high command)

Now along comes Hobbart who has a breaking point, but that was deleted in the updated version - so are there points on the back of his updated tile for breaking him?

The real question which I guess I should be asking, is whether Wittman should be worth points for breaking, notwithstanding other Officer tiles appear not to be. I think the answer is 'yes' and that does make sense given how powerful he is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, all Field Command tiles have had their VP removed. DPG has changed how "Field Command" units work.

Wittmann was an early design and has ended up being a corner case for a lot of reasons:

1) There is a Special Case listed in the Compendium for Wittmann's recruitment tile special ability so that the extra order only comes if there is an option with Wittmann's unit colors in the space. That extra order was there to deal with Wittmann's tiger option, not to give the German player a free Order star when he assigned Blitzkrieg or Field Artillery to that slot.

2) He is not a field command, even though he has the command laurels. He is just an Heroic Platoon that can use orders. Since Field Command tiles all grant 0 VP, I think you can understand why

3) Wittmann's Blitzkrieg ability remained undefined for years after the board was made. I don't know what DPG was envisioning for that ability, but they realized they needed to rethink it and it took a while to come up with a definition. That is also in the Compendium.

Since all the single-board expansions are now out of print, I am sure that if we see a new version of Wittmann in the future it will be a bit different from the current one

Note: I keep saying "in the Compendium" because that is the first appearance of the v2.0 rules. I am not implying you need to buy the Compendium to get the information. The Compendium is unique in that it is all the rules gathered in one book. All those rules will appear in v2.0 rulebooks at some point but I am not sure if that will be in the updated core rules or the as yet untitled book that will cover all the small expansion pack abilities. So I cannot yet be specific as to where they will be found in the generally available v2.0 rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nostradunwhich wrote:

1) There is a Special Case listed in the Compendium for Wittmann's recruitment tile special ability so that the extra order only comes if there is an option with Wittmann's unit colors in the space. That extra order was there to deal with Wittmann's tiger option, not to give the German player a free Order star when he assigned Blitzkrieg or Field Artillery to that slot.

Never noticed that, but yeah, the graphic is different - normally there is just a star, but with Wittman's tile it has the 101st Battalion colours under it. I wouldn't have noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out. Thanks!

Nostradunwhich wrote:

I am not implying you need to buy the Compendium to get the information.

Well, no, but it would save you having to answer questions that are answered there. Maybe I'll break down and buy it ... maybe ... but it ain't cheap, and I am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P.O.G.G. wrote:
Nostradunwhich wrote:

I am not implying you need to buy the Compendium to get the information.

Well, no, but it would save you having to answer questions that are answered there. Maybe I'll break down and buy it ... maybe ... but it ain't cheap, and I am.

No, really. Eventually all the current rulebooks will be updated to v2.0 rules. You just have to be patient

But if you have a lot of HoN, then it is certainly nice to have all the rules in one place!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Fuhrer is not a patient man. He demands constant reports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.