Vytautas V
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mb
Could you please suggest which of your favorite area control games could be played best with 3 players, one of them - 7 years old.

More thematic, more obvious rules are important.

I am considering two options currently: Kingdom Builder and Rattus. Which is better for you?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zorko
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any experience with the two games you mentioned, but I have recently purchased Eight-Minute Empire: Legends and it seems to play well with all player counts (at least in my opinion) and it would probably be ok for a 7 years old, especially if you play only the bare bone game with none of the included variants (there are tokens for 4 or 5 variants adding further interesting decision, but even the most basic game is fun)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mb
Considering only both base games, I would recommend KB, it's way more replayable, simple to learn for kids, and overall a great game.

On the other hand it has less drama than Rattus, so it also depends on what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for thematic, Kingdom Builder probably isn't the best option as it's more abstract. I love KB though and have quite a bit of fun with it. Haven't played Rattus personally although it seems interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder plays really well with younger kids (I've done it!). It's one of those games that almost plays itself but there's just enough choice for it to be fun for gamers of different skill levels. The only real trick is making sure younger kids understand that game's goals.

We've also had a lot of luck with Masons and younger kids. It's a little more complicated but there's a nice mechanic where many of the things you do also benefit someone else. The kids like that there are a million little houses, walls, and towers to build and best of all...dirt cheap!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Rattus, but have read through the rule book. It seems simple enough, but turning over the tokens means there's a lot of luck despite any grand strategy you might have. I still plan to get this game at some point because it looks really interesting, but just not anytime soon.

Kingdom Builder is great, but it's definitely not thematic. It is easy to play/learn, but there's a lot of luck involved in which card you get (though you could use the variant where you draw two cards and keep one). It's got a lot of variability in the win conditions and set up of the boards, and tons of replayability. However, I played this one with a 7yo and he found it quite boring. He really likes Forbidden Island and Small World, though.

Speaking of which, have you considered Small World? It's also area control, though very low on the strategy scale (most decisions are deciding who to attack or when to switch to another race). But the different combinations of races and powers keeps the game interesting over many, many plays. The board is adorable, the artwork is wonderful, and it feels thematic despite being a very straightforward game.

All three of these games have a ton of expansions, so you'd certainly get plenty of life out of all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.