Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew CARLESS
Italy
Inveruno
MILANO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just bought this to add to my collection, and am very excited by the possibilities the game seems to offer.

While downsizing to solo-play won't be a problem (there are some good BOT rules out there on BGG) I'm wondering how to up-size to 5 or 6 players.

I know the expansion is coming out later this year (cobbles, extra riders etc) but it only mentions 2 (or even 1-wide) roads. Is this a problem for playing with larger numbers of cyclists?

Has anyone tried playing with 10-12 cyclists on the normal track? Does it get too clogged-up or do you need to prepare some 3-lane pieces (that I've spotted in some people's photos)?

What are your thoughts? I'd love to be able to bring this to the table for 5 people on Saturday night without having to go 4+1 (let the other 4 play while I help them learn...).

PS No problem for the models and cards (I can use some off-scale models and playing cards until the expansion comes out!)

Thanks for helping out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Did try with 6 players (12 riders) and it didn't work out well. Impossible to break away, and difficult to advance up through the field. Would not recommend it and would rather play 2 x 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew CARLESS
Italy
Inveruno
MILANO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
Impossible to break away, and difficult to advance up through the field.

That was my fear too.. maybe the three-wide roads can help a little for this... I would imagine 1-wide cobbles would become a car-park with 6 players... really curious to see how this works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Peloton expansion includes bits for up to six players and rules for playing 12 players with one cyclist per player. Rules can be found here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't tried it with more than 8 cyclists, but 10 doesn't seem so bad. 12 is getting to be too much unless you use a "breakaway starting setup" like Asger did in the expansion.

But you can also play the base game with more than 4 players and still limit the game to 8 cyclists. You can have 2 human players play as a team, with different options for how they interact (e.g. they agree which teammate draws first and shows the other what card he picked). Or you can play "every cyclist for himself" where up to 8 players each control a single cyclist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier PERRONNY
France
flag msg tools
mb
We played several times with 6 players (in a Grand Tour mode) and we had breakaways (often because of climbs). However we played with 2 ou 3 3 wide squares tiles (mainly 2 for the start line) and one in the middle of the stage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Early Flamme Rouge prototype
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played stage 5-9 of a 21 stage grand tour, all games played with 12 riders and six players. This works without any problems at all, because we have the 3 wide tiles from the coming peloton expansion, and play with the breakaway rules. The break away ensure that the starting pack is at most 10 riders, because a few fight their way ahead from the start (at a price). Plus the stage is 3 squares longer.

Just putting 12 riders on a normal stage wouldn't work very well.

On the plus side, using these rules you can actually play up to 12. Each controlling a single rider, with no team affilliations.

Asger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew CARLESS
Italy
Inveruno
MILANO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
The Peloton expansion includes bits for up to six players and rules for playing 12 players with one cyclist per player. Rules can be found here.

I am stunned (and very pleased) that my little question has provoked this massive help to your playing public. I am sure we all really appreciate the "sneak-peek" of these rules, and I, for one, can't wait for the expansion to be published.
You've got another fan!
Many thanks to the whole team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.