Subject: Immersive weathers of Terrinoth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ruben Theuns
Belgium
Mechelen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
This custom made mini expansion was inspired by the “frozen wastes” expansion of second edition. I wanted to implement a similar “feel” of the weather conditions, but in a the less harsh environment. I wanted to keep it as simple and clean as possible. After a lot of testing with cards and even a weather dial, I ended up making a custom weather die. It’s really just a simple addition to the game to increase the immersion into the realms of Terrinoth. The D6 consists of 6 different weather types. This die is rolled at the beginning of every round to determine what weather it’s going to be.

As you can see, there’s numbers in the top left corner of every side. These represent the amount of terrain dice you may roll when resting in the wilderness. I think this also helps to remember new players how many dice may be rolled when resting (just like the value on the character cards to show how many dice a hero may use to move). I think it does its job well of increasing the immersion.

As a second addition, I’ve swapped the time token with a custom made double sided day/night token. I did this because it felt like the token itself did not really had a purpose in the game, since it’s very obvious what act you’re on. Every time the time track advances, you flip the day/night token.

During the day, a player has 4 actions to spend. During the night, only 2. I think the day and night cycle gives a nice additional asymmetry which may (or may not) add an additional strategic layer to the game. And of course it again brings a nice aspect of immersion into the game. Just try it out and let me know if you like it. If I find a camera, I will post some pictures. Also, I will submit the files on BGG as PDF. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Pérez Cantalapiedra
Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is interesting the weather dice.

Your day/night token is almost the same as the one here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1820681/crystals-might-fan-...

Note that in the previous scenario, the way in which Story Cards are drawn, and in which the Adventure Gems are refreshed, had to be tuned.

I also think that this system (day/night) is more interesting than the original one, and could be implemented (more or less heavily) in a variety of scenarios.

Best
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Theuns
Belgium
Mechelen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
Hey Carlos,

Thanks for the thumbs up!
I haven't seen the scenario of "The crystals of might" before, so sorry for the unintentional plagiarism.
I really like the way that day and night have different effects in the scenario. Although, it would be nice if these effects could be combined with other scenarios (ascendance of Margath etc.). So maybe custom adventure cards with day/night dependent effect could be an idea?
Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Pérez Cantalapiedra
Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghalahad wrote:
Hey Carlos,

Thanks for the thumbs up!
I haven't seen the scenario of "The crystals of might" before, so sorry for the unintentional plagiarism.
I really like the way that day and night have different effects in the scenario. Although, it would be nice if these effects could be combined with other scenarios (ascendance of Margath etc.). So maybe custom adventure cards with day/night dependent effect could be an idea?
Cheers

hehe no plagiarism. In fact, Mage Knight uses this system for day/night rounds so I should apologyze to Vlaada instead I guess I just thought that you would like to see how an idea close to yours was implemented in an scenario.

I really would like to see it in other scenarios also. About adventure cards, it is just a matter of time that I didn't add, for example, enemies whose behaviour or danger changes depending on day/night in which they are found. It takes a lot of time doing new cards, but it would be fun and much more thematic to play with them in any scenario yes! Also the companions from Chaos and Corruption, for example, could have different behaviour, or the Horde of Goblins, the spider webs, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both of these will accomplish what you've set out to do: add theme without affecting gameplay significantly.

If I do anything I will create the weather die as it does as you say serve as a reminder for how many dice to roll for healing in the wilds.

Well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.