Subject: Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League - The 2nd edition ?!? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
"Courage isn't the matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway." - 3rd Doctor
badge
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been into board games for the years now, but I really got serious about it a couple of years ago. Most of my gaming is done with my wife. So I always try to find good 2 player games that will appeal to her.

In my extensive (and sometimes exhaustive) research, I fell onto an article talking about the Kosmos game Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League. Space is not her cup of tea, bit is definitely mine. Being a big fan of Merchant of Venus and Firefly this small pick-up and deliver game really intrigued me.

So Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League became one of my "grail" games. Having finally found a not ridiculously overprice copy, I decided to try and wedge the game in between Patchwork, Carcassonne and Jaipur and try to get my wife to play. After weeks of getting a flat "No" I finally got an "Okay" (with rolling eyes).

To my absolute joy (and surprise), my wife really enjoyed the game. It's now part of our weekly roaster.

This game is a good gateway game if you want to get your friends or partner into bigger pick-up and deliver games. (At least, that is my secret goal! (evil laugh))

The only big downer is that this game is out of print and getting more difficult to find at a reasonable price.

So, like Baldrick would say - "I have a cunning plan":

This game should get a second printing or better yet: a second edition.
We should get Heinrich Glumpler and Kosmos (or whoever owns the rights) to Kickstart this.

Hear me out:

- New printing of the game with the optional solo and 3 player rules
- A new clearer Sun Victory point counter
- A cool game board (See the excellent one from Scott Everts (ScottE) in the files section)
- A 3rd player set of cards, token and ship.

We could have stretch goals like:

- Plastic 3D printed model ships (3 players) and tokens
- A neoprene game mat (again, see the excellent design from Scott Everts (ScottE))
- Additional cards (something like: Planetary Blockade. Prevent other player from accessing a planet for 1 turn)

I would jump on this in seconds.

Who's with me?

PS: The name of this game might be a bit off-putting to some, but believe me, this is a great game for two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League - The 2nd edition ?1?
It is a great game, it plays fast and you are always trying to think ahead. My wife and I enjoy it a great deal. I also agree that a pretier package would be awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sallay
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League - The 2nd edition ?1?
Just found this game a couple of weeks ago - its seeing a lot of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love this. I got a used copy a while ago and it is fine, but I agree, some of the material in the BGG file section is outstanding and a visual overhaul would make this game shine.
I also like the solo and 3-player suggestion, though it then would not fit anymore in the Kosmos 2-player line of games (which is a Kosmos mainstay and has a lot of appeal as a brand).

Unfortunately, Kickstarter is not the ways Kosmos does business. They are a very traditional publisher (in fact they are a "real" publisher (=books) with games just being one aspect of their portfolio).
But as it has been out of print for a while it might be worth checking if Kosmos still holds the rights to this game. If not, something like the Odin's Ravens reprint (without the Kickstarter excitement (the scam that it turned into, followed by the gracious rescue provided by Osprey)) could be an option.

The theme is fine and the Perry Rhodan universe is actually quite interesting (the longest running SciFi universe dating back to 1961), but I could also see a Firefly or Star Wars smuggler or generic SciFi trading theme.

Someone should contact the designer and ask about the licence...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
"Courage isn't the matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway." - 3rd Doctor
badge
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
Working on it....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinrich Glumpler
Germany
Koeln
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am the designer and I could contact Kosmos - but I think it would be much more effective to contact Z-Man, so I will give it a try.

Kickstarter is not an option for me myself because I cannot spare the time for such a project and I am definitely lacking the experience and the necessary partners.

It might also help if some of you would contact Z-Man about it - especially pointing to the wonderful fan-art and designs which were created in the meantime.

Myself I will try to talk to Z-Man regarding this topic (but it might still take some time).

Best Regards
Heinrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you sir for the answer. (And again for this awesome game!!!)

I am preparing an email for Z-Man now.

(Edit: Sent!!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alas... still no answer!

cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shamsher Razzak
Pakistan
Karachi
flag msg tools
Please share the email, i also want this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey RazzMtazz,

This is what was sent:

Greetings,

I am reaching out to you after a posting made on BoardGameGeek's Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League forum.
(See: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1823482/perry-rhodan-cosmic...)

Does Z-Man have any plans regarding Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League? Do you still hold the rights?

With the current board game boom, it would be a great opportunity to re-issue a new or updated version of this excellent game.

Some of the suggestions that came up were:

- Optional solo and 3 player rules (Already available from the designer's web site)
- A new clearer Sun Victory point counter
- A neoprene game mat (See the excellent design from Scott Everts in the BGG files section)
- A 3rd player set of cards, token and ship.
- 3D printed plastic model ships and tokens.
- Additional cards

A lot of great fan art and designs have been done since the game came out.
A visual overhaul would make this game shine.

This game is really good and it deserves to be in print!

Thank you very much.

Hope this is what you wanted.

Still hoping for an answer. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.