Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Gillespie
Canada
Strathmore
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have backed this game and have watched the news around it with a keen eye since hearing about it. I have read every revision of the rulebook that came out and examined the PnP. I am beyond excited to have my copy in a few weeks, but there is still one question has been asked and is whispering at the back of my mind.

What happens when you lose?

I know the obvious answer is, well, you have just lost the game, dummy. End of story. Pack it up and start again another time. But if you are 900 minutes into what is advertised as a 1000+ minute game and you lose due to a bad card draw, it is very different than losing at the end of a one or two hour game. This game has compared itself to RPGs, to choose your own adventure books and to videogames throughout the campaign and in each of those analogies there is usually a way to keep the story moving after you lose, whether it is rolling up a new character in D&D, reloading a saved game or respawn in a videogame, or just flipping back a few pages in a book.

During the campaign, there were some rumours of checkpoints, but I don't recall if they were confirmed, or how they worked. So now that the final product has gotten into the hands of some members of the public, how is this handles? With a game this long, I think I'll end up being more interested in completing the stories and exploring than I will be about worrying about win/loss conditions. So how much of a sting does failure have on this island?

p.s. And yes, I am aware that there is a difference between one character dying and losing the game. I am talking about the situation where everyone dies or you draw that dreaded curse card from the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are willing to flip back a few pages in the adventure book or funble your roll in an RPG I am sure you will find a solution here (for example redrawing if you draw the curse).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting for my game with much anticipation too.

As far as I know, you choose which curses to play at the start of each game. You seem to be alluding to playing as a campaign. As far as I know that would entail succeeding against all the curses, however you choose to play them, therefore the 'checkpoints' would be in succeeding against the curse(s) you choose to play. I assumed the 1.000* mins would be the time required to play all these curses (I assume without failing any of them)

OR, is there a campaign, or at least a recommended order in which to play the curses? Would be interested to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is 1000 mins per curse. And the Voracious Goddess is recommended for your first curse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
It is 1000 mins per curse. And the Voracious Goddess is recommended for your first curse.

16+ hours per curse? That doesn't sound right, given the number of cards you can draw, even after re-shuffling. It is clear from the rules that is the recommended first curse, but after that? Would be good if they were linked in some way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:

I don't buy the 1,000 minutes per game number. That sounds very exaggerated to me. I assume it might be 1,000 minutes including all the restarts until you beat a curse, but there's no way the game lasts 1000 minutes with a single curse and no fail state. If that were true, it would have to be incredibly repetitive. I hope that isn't the case...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Thurston
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
beri2 wrote:

16+ hours per curse? That doesn't sound right, given the number of cards you can draw, even after re-shuffling. It is clear from the rules that is the recommended first curse, but after that? Would be good if they were linked in some way.

According to this post Re: Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale. A tale of a fateful trip..., it sounds like 16 hours per curse is about right.

And I'm not sure you can comment on the number of cards you can draw and re-shuffle when there are mechanics built into the game to rest and add cards back to the deck from the discard pile. This seems like a very important mechanic in the game to be able to continue exploring the continent without getting exhausted (read: lose).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Jandt
United States
Watertown
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coligill wrote:
What happens when you lose?

I know the obvious answer is, well, you have just lost the game, dummy. End of story.

Who says your characters are the only one with this curse?

I would (and am going to once I get my copy) note down the card that you died on and the stuff you had when you were there.

Then when the next group comes along to that card they find a skeleton ("So this is where Forrestal cashed in.") with the stuff in/around it.

So yes, start over, but it adds to the Island's mystery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anyone has actually addressed the OP's question which is something I've been pondering for awhile myself.

Literally what happens when you lose the game. Do you:

1) reset entirely no matter how far you were?

2) are there checkpoints built into the game (obviously not covered by the rulebook) that you can set back up from? say the start of an area?

3) take it upon yourself to house rule it and restart from a previous position and maybe give yourself some sort of penalty?

As the OP said it wouldn't feel too bad to have an untimely death several hours into an adventure but to have to restart after 15 hours and a couple of poor decisions may be fairly deflating for some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From SP's comments during the Kickstarter and after, it seems there is some sort of a "save point" system in the game, but, I assume, you discover it as you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The save point system is only to put away the game mid-play (i.e. part way through discovery of a cure for a curse) and to resume later. It's not a "save point" in the Final Fantasy or other RPG sense of "pick up where you left off if you died."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Gillespie
Canada
Strathmore
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
If you are willing to flip back a few pages in the adventure book or funble your roll in an RPG I am sure you will find a solution here (for example redrawing if you draw the curse).

I haven't gone through any of the old Fighting Fantasy books, just the "choose your own adventure" books without the stat sheets and die rolls.

I would see going back a few pages as different than fudging a roll in an RPG or redrawing cards in this case. One is cheating, whereas the other is just exploring further to see where the other branching storylines go. I'm not interested in cheating, I'll accept a loss as a loss, I would just appreciate the chance to try again from a point that is not the very beginning.

Maybe I regain consciousness at the beginning of the zone that I was currently in without any equipment or cards in hand. cheated even from a death that would have released me from this curse, but determined to find a way to break it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
these links might be of relevance - the relevant term is checkpoints:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1426253/adventurers-guide-c...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1461567/can-someone-please-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Gillespie
Canada
Strathmore
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, linking to the last time I asked the same question and had it fully answered whistle. I really do need to either remember things better, or just look for the answers.

Just to save a click, here is the quote from SP:

Quote:
WIN... OR DIE TRYING!

Now as you progress, bad things can happen. The 7th Continent isn’t exactly a charming holiday getaway. Most of the time the island, or it’s inhabitants, will be trying to eat your face.

Now there’s two ways to shuffle off the mortal coil in this game:

- By drawing a curse card from the discard pile after having ran out of cards in your Action Deck.
- By drawing a game card that reads “your adventure ends here…”, this is a rare occurrence mind you and when it does happen, don’t say the game didn’t warn you!

When this happens you discard any Idea cards from your hand as well as objects from your inventory. Sadly, for you, the adventure is over...

Or is it?

We wouldn’t have you play through hours or gameplay just to have it all spoiled because of a small mistake like falling off a cliff or poking a sleeping bear now would we?

The game features "checkpoints". If you can find them, these are cards you can carry in your "shoulder bag". In the case of your untimely demise; you can "respawn" on these points however you will lose all your cards in the process, almost starting again from scratch so it really is a last resort!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sendy
msg tools
Quote:
The game features "checkpoints". If you can find them, these are cards you can carry in your "shoulder bag". In the case of your untimely demise; you can "respawn" on these points

Interesting, I wonder if these made it into the final game, I played the first curse three times the first on failed after 15 hours and I never saw one of these check points, the second I failed really quickly, and the third time it took about 8 or 9 Hours to successfully beat.

The only thing I can think of is that the card you draw when you complete a curse may become your check point f you are playing multiple curses (I didn't read the text on the victory card related to playing multiple curses)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK someone who owns and is playing the game on the scene here. Yes you have to reset everything, however this game isn't a "game ' it's a book (or puzzle) that has been broken down into cards to increase immersion ad make it possible for more in depth descion making.

1st up you should add curses one at a time to prevent confusion. In the first curse, with out spoiling anything, there is there is kind of a fork in the road that leads off in several directions and it became clear that we took the wrong way and we considered rolling back but then we just rolled with it and ended up finding our way back to territory covered in the clue map.

If I do die I'd totally just go a different way or choose different outcomes.

Also you always have items and are able to assess risks rarely are you just gonna loose like 6 cards all at once so as long as you're paying attention to animal tracks and hunting and eating regularly you're in more trouble of getting lost than out right loosing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.