fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Most folks probably know Sophie Turner by now (aka Sansa Stark on Game Of Thrones.)

She had this to say in a recent interview:

Telegraph wrote:
Hollywood prides social media following over acting talent – or at least that's what Game of Thrones star Sophie Turner has experienced.

The actress revealed in an interview with Porter magazine that she landed a part over a superior actress because she "had the followers".

Turner has been in the spotlight since her teens after being cast as the ill-fated princess Sansa Stark in the hit HBO fantasy series, aged 14. It meant that she swiftly built up a considerable following on Twitter (1.34 million), Instagram (5.4 million) and Facebook (2 million), which she says helped her in auditions.

She told Porter: "A lot of what I have achieved is about timing and luck, but it is also, and I hate to say it, about a big social-media following.

"I auditioned for a project and it was between me and another girl who is a far better actress than I am, far better, but I had the followers, so I got the job. It’s not right, but it is part of the movie industry now."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
STRAP IN » BURN ON » BLACK OUT
badge
HIT 'EM FROM ORBIT
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes perfect sense—it's free advertising for the project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's called pulling power, it does not matter if it is due to Social Media, tabloid coverage or punching reporters. What matters is you are a draw. That is what Stardom is, people know who you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's probably a healthy dose of modesty in there, too. I think she has become a much better actor in the last couple of seasons of GoT, (regardless of the quality of the scripts and dialog they have been giving her), and I think she would be in the running for any significant role nowadays.

I guess my seven* Twitter followers aren't going to help me in Hollywood, though.

*six of which are bots
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:

So, if we launch a massive social media campaign to get Chris a bunch of followers for his Twitter account, can we land him a screenwriting job? Maybe he can write the Next Big Thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
HiveGod wrote:

So, if we launch a massive social media campaign to get Chris a bunch of followers for his Twitter account, can we land him a screenwriting job? Maybe he can write the Next Big Thing.
Yep, Troma or the Asylum are always looking for new "talent".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
robbbbbb wrote:
HiveGod wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:
There's probably a healthy dose of modesty in there, too. I think she has become a much better actor in the last couple of seasons of GoT, (regardless of the quality of the scripts and dialog they have been giving her), and I think she would be in the running for any significant role nowadays.

I guess my seven* Twitter followers aren't going to help me in Hollywood, though.

*six of which are bots
Lets not also forget the fact she has appeared in a TV show that is quite well known in some quarters. I suspect that maybe (in fact) This was a bigger influence (as well as the reason she has so many followers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Verdigris97 wrote:

*six of which are bots
Lets not also forget the fact she has appeared in a TV show that is quite well known in some quarters. I suspect that maybe (in fact) This was a bigger influence (as well as the reason she has so many followers).

That's the thing, social media numbers give casting directors hard numbers on who's a bigger draw among the target demographic (18-35). It's not just about who's last film made more money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Verdigris97 wrote:

*six of which are bots

That's the thing, social media numbers give casting directors hard numbers on who's a bigger draw among the target demographic (18-35). It's not just about who's last film made more money.
And unlike the old star system is not manufactured by the studio, it represents a real fan base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure that social media exposure also figures into a celebrity's Q Score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can finally put on that one-man show in my backyard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Telegraph wrote:
... It meant that she swiftly built up a considerable following on Twitter (1.34 million), Instagram (5.4 million) and Facebook (2 million), which she says helped her in auditions.

What, no GeekBuddies? Pfft...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.