Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Carpenter
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Am trying Pemberton and Grant solo initially to see how it plays out and to make sure I am familiar with the rules.

I have Forged in Fire which I really enjoy, so thought I would give this series a punt, and as I own no other games featuring the Vicksburg campaign, I thought I would start with this one. I'm pleased to say my initial impressions are good.

On first glance, it looks like a cakewalk for Grant with his powerful corps and more CAP (on average) than Pemberton. However, it is not as easy as it looks as Grant has no supply (and therefore cannot get replacements and can only move 2 spaces) until he can open up Vicksburg or Chickasaw Bluff. So if the Confederates make good use of interior lines of communication and the rivers and entrenchments, the Federals can be ground down.

Anyway, I do have a few rules questions:

1. CAP's – I take it the total Confederate CAP is initially 2, (maybe 3 if Pemberton passes his Commander rating). But can Gardner from Fort Hudson move with one of these before Johnston arrives? I would assume he can.

2. Then when Johnston arrives, I assume there is a second Command roll made for him, which means that the Confederates could eventually reach as many as 6 CAP (the 2 basic plus 1 for Pemberton and 1 for Johnston, plus an extra 2 for the 2 waves of reinforcements)?

3. Confederate reinforcements – the rules say you can spend a CAP to increase the die roll by one, but do you decide that before you roll or after?

4. As it takes 3 movement points to build place a trench block, I take it that until Grant establishes supply he cannot build any? Also I take it that Garrisons cannot use a trench block even if they started the game in the same location as one? (I'm thinking if the other unit moved away, the trench block would disappear)

That's it, many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Most certainly, just not the CAP that Pemberton produces.

2. Yes. Grant needs to act fast to defeat the Rebels. It is a ticking clock situation.

3. Before

4. Garrison units can use them. Keep in mind the Union ignores supply for turns 1-5. They are considered in supply for movement and step loss. But if you are building trenches on turns 1-5 you are not playing right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Carpenter
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Sean for clearing up those points.

No indeed I would not want Grant building trenches, but I was only moving him two spaces. Now that you've confirmed Grant has full movement in the first 5 turns I'm going to have to sharpen my game as The Confederates

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob James
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can more than one unit build a trench in a location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Can more than one unit build a trench in a location?

Certainly Bob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.