Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

The Opulent was a game that disappointed me when I first played it. It wasn't because I had such high hopes for it, but more to do with how easy it was. The first scenario is a little easier than what will come later. Once you add some staff, upgrades, and celebrities the game starts to shine.

The game is intended to be a campaign game. I am confident in this. The single experience isn't going to be as rewarding as the historical campaign with all the extras. I am sure of this. This leads to me to the next "fact". This is best as a solo experience and with 2 max. You could play with three if one doesn't mind not having as much to do.

The problem is the minis games are done one at a time. So if you are the door man it is going to be a long time before it gets back to your turn. It is even worse for the manager even though the manager is very powerful (but his turn is very quick!).

The minis games are very easy and fast. The band is the most complicated and might take the most time. If you are not invested in this game, then the downtime is going to kill you.

Overall, I like this game but it took a little bit of work. I do like the theme quite a bit and the campaign mode is awesome. I love that it really works as a solo game. I've had a ton of fun with it. The luck faster is very high which can be frustrating at times. The luck factor is quite high. You are rolling dice and drawing cards, but the manager is intended to mitigate this somewhat.

I will recommend this without a doubt for solo gamers. That is where this game shines. If you want to play with a spouse or a buddy, then that is fine. I hesitate to recommend this with 3+. If this looks interesting at all, take a flyer on this game and I don't think you will be disappointed.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are fantastic. It starts with the box that is beautiful. The art work is real players costumed up. I really like this and it works in this game. The components for the bar are all shaped like they should be. The dice are really nice. I have to say this is some of the best components in a game that I've seen. I love the look of this game. Beautiful and it fits the theme.

Rule Book:

The rule book is a beast. It is long, but broken down by mini game which is helpful. There are great player aids included so it will decrease how much you need the rule book over time. The rules are long but very very good. The game is simple, so it was easy for me to understand.

Flow of the Game:

You will be bringing people into your club and have them drink and dance and hopefully spend someone money while in the club. You are trying to get X amount of money by the end of the game. There is a finite number of patrons that will enter/exit your club.

The game is really 4 mini games:

1. Door: You will play a Yahtzee style dice rolling mini game to bring people into your club. You have have a max of 5 people in line and 5 in the back up line. The longer they wait, the money they lose. This is very easy to play and where you will place your newest gamer.

2. Band: This is the most complicated mini game. You will draw cards from 4 different decks each with its own unique make up. Then, you have a choice to make: get people dancing and get them to the bar or try to put more nickels on them. At its core, this is a matching game where you don't have a lot of control. You play the cards you dealt (or don't play them). It is super important to understand how this mini game works and the make up of the decks.

3. Bar: The bar is a resource management with dice rolling. You will decide to give up a dice to add some resources (if needed). Then you roll the dice to see if you are able to serve everyone. The number you need to roll is equal or higher than the number of components you are using to serve the drinks.

4. Manager - This person will perform the event deck for the round (you literally flip a card and do what it says). Then, you will get two POWERFUL actions that can help the other mini games and thus the club overall.

All the players work together to earn as much money as possible to hit the required threshold.

Should I buy this game?:

This is a no brainer for solo gamers. I would play this with max of 3 players, but really 1-2. It is intended as a campaign game, but it does have a single game in the box. This is a lighter cooperative game that has some luck in the game. You need to be okay with these things parameters.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, like it.

I play this solo and really really enjoy it but I do not find it easy at all. I really don't like the way you are limited to hiring staff only compatible with the club upgrade you have purchased - this limits your options in the first scenario where you are made to buy the Manager club upgrade which means you are limited to the slot machine or two other items that aren't that useful at this stage of the campaign. I'd much rather hire a singer!

Still, I need to stop complaining and play it some more.

It's quite a different type of game and I love the theme.

Thanks for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ibbo wrote:
Nice review, like it.

I play this solo and really really enjoy it but I do not find it easy at all. I really don't like the way you are limited to hiring staff only compatible with the club upgrade you have purchased - this limits your options in the first scenario where you are made to buy the Manager club upgrade which means you are limited to the slot machine or two other items that aren't that useful at this stage of the campaign. I'd much rather hire a singer!

Still, I need to stop complaining and play it some more.

It's quite a different type of game and I love the theme.

Thanks for the review.

I've found it hard to have enough money to hire more people. I'm not very good whistle I'm having blast...as a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.