Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/politics/austra...

(full transcript in articles)
Mexico: President Peña Nieto

Quote:
Highlights

1. Trump threatens potential tariffs on Mexican goods.

2. Trump vows to help fight the “tough hombres” driving the Mexican drug trade.

3. Trump seems to acknowledge that his threats to make Mexico pay had left him cornered politically.

4. Trump asks that they avoid publicly disagreeing over how the wall will be funded.

5. Trump describes the wall as “the least important thing we are talking about.”

6. Trump tells Peña Nieto to stop saying publicly that his government would never pay for the wall.

Bonus points: Trump insults new hampshire (a swing state) (and several other states).

Australia: Prime Minister Turnbull
Quote:

Highlights

1. Trump tells Turnbull that accepting the refugees “will make us look awfully bad.”

2. Turnbull tries to explain to Trump that the refugee deal is consistent with the travel ban

3. Turnbull tells Trump that the deal is “really, really important” to Australia.

4. Trump says the refugee deal is “going to kill me.”

5. Trump calls the agreement a “stupid deal” that will make him “look terrible.”

6. Trump tells Turnbull “I have had it” and ends the call.

A bit of russian leakage as well during this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind—Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
In general I think the leaks have been a good thing, with a White House this messed up. But this one is probably uncalled for.

Republicans and Democrats condemn leaking Trump's conversation with foreign leaders

I like this quote from Tommy Vietor, a former spokesperson for President Barack Obama’s National Security Council:

Quote:
I would’ve lost my mind if transcripts of Obama's calls to foreign leaders leaked. He wouldn't have sounded so dumb, but it's still absurd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is they are being leaked because they are so dumb. People want to shine a light on how terrible he is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this should not have been leaked, but more fundamental to the issue is the question of WHY they are being leaked. Clearly, someone that has the capability to do so, is "concerned" about the content of these conversations.

Yes, the leaks will create a chilling effect on world leaders who might speak to the President. They will fear that whatever they discuss with him will be made public, when perhaps the conversation was not meant to be made public.

But one thing is clear from the leaks; they indicate a President that is out of touch with reality, and more concerned about politics, and how the issue makes him appear, as opposed to how the issue will affect the American people. In other words, the leaker feels that their concerns should be our concerns, and in truth, I'd have to agree with them.

It's clear that Trump is not pulling for the American people here, more a case of him attempting to push a stance that makes him look like he is keeping his campaign promises, many of which he now realizes, cannot possibly be achieved. The leaks also demonstrate that he has no prowess in negotation, his techniques are that of a bully, and appear to be childish at best. When he doesn't get his way, he hangs up the phone in a huff.

In my opinion, if you talk the talk, you have to walk the walk, Trump is great at doing the first, but these leaks show he is anything but great, at doing the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T
United States
flag msg tools
A good analysis of what the transcripts reveal about Trump...

What Donald Trump doesn't get about diplomacy

"And yet despite his bluster in both conversations on the building of the border wall that Mexico is going to pay for and the agreement to take a limited number of refugees from Australia, it's stunning how quickly the master of the "Art of the Deal" backs off his opening positions and implicitly concedes that they were just ploys."

"These calls demonstrate in stunning fashion that, however unpleasant the conversations, both Pena Nieto and Turnbull got what they wanted and, in the process, the best of Trump."

"It's striking how quickly the tone of the conversation with both leaders escalated, largely because of Trump's aggressiveness, impatience and inability to have his own way. The President seems to have little sense that building relationships requires time and the capacity to listen with a measure of empathy, even though he may not agree."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
The president of the most powerful nation on earth, the man with the ability to start a nuclear world war, is a clueless moron. I don't mean that as an insult. I mean that as an honest assessment of his very limited mental abilities.

That's really fucking dangerous. People need to understand what we are dealing with here. Releasing these transcripts may be a small "sin", but that sin pales in comparison of the importance of exposing Trump's rationality, or lack thereof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda suspect Rance for these leaks and the 'trump wrote the letter' leak. They are both so high level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
The president of the most powerful nation on earth, the man with the ability to start a nuclear world war, is a clueless moron. I don't mean that as an insult. I mean that as an honest assessment of his very limited mental abilities.

That's really fucking dangerous. People need to understand what we are dealing with here. Releasing these transcripts may be a small "sin", but that sin pales in comparison of the importance of exposing Trump's rationality, or lack thereof.

I tend to agree. Leaking those conversations is certainly not good. But exposing not just how terrible he is at this whole thing but also his complete inability to learn and adapt is critical.

We need to know that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The timing of the leaks makes me wonder whether they came from three recently-fired NSC staffers who were in the Bannon camp. Makes McMaster look bad (since NSC is typically the keeper of such transcripts), and Breitbart right now is howling for McMaster's blood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morning Joe speculated it was by the trump administration to discredit the press.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Trump is an idiot - I think I've been fairly clear on the point in this forum and elsewhere. Having said that, I do NOT think leaking these transcripts was a good idea. This is the kind of thing that shouldn't be made public because it simply weakens the US (forget about Trump) and emboldens our enemies. I know these leakers have their political agendas, but doing something that can make the nation more vulnerable (than it already is, due to Trump) is NOT a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
It's emblematic of the utter disarray of the administration - right or wrong doesn't really have anything to do with it (almost all the leaks are 'wrong').

We're in a situation where there's a power vacuum at the top, and leaks are one of the main methods the king's ministers use for their infighting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.