Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nobody Suspects
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added a set of the marble dice to my pledge due to their exclusivity and appearance in the initial mock-up, but I've read in the Kickstarter comments that the frost set is more visually appealing (all subjective I know). That said, would someone be so kind to post a pic of each of the two add-on dice sets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThE_BuTLeR__ wrote:
I added a set of the marble dice to my pledge due to their exclusivity and appearance in the initial mock-up, but I've read in the Kickstarter comments that the frost set is more visually appealing (all subjective I know).

No, it's a fact . i got both and i'm completely underwhelmed at the marble ones. The swirls are too "noisy". The frost ones are absolutely gorgeous.

ThE_BuTLeR__ wrote:
That said, would someone be so kind to post a pic of each of the two add-on dice sets?

i'm on my way out with my dog, but if nobody posts theirs by the time i get back, i'll post some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have an image but the marble dice are of low quality and I don't like them visually. Bad decision on my part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nobody Suspects
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
i'm on my way out with my dog, but if nobody posts theirs by the time i get back, i'll post some.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThE_BuTLeR__ wrote:
Quote:

Thank you

Here we go... (dog did his thing unusually quickly this evening...)

Frost vs Marble:

While taking that photo i noticed that the yellow of the marbled dice is even lighter than the yellow of the core set dice, and that i have trouble discerning the symbols on them at any further than half-an-arm's length away:

(i store my core set dice in the frosted set's package.)

i'm quite unsatisfied with the marble set, especially now that i've noticed how light the yellow is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are terrible, and setting aside not looking anything like the image on the campaign, they don't even match the base colors?

Between this and the odd scale minis I'm less and less excite to get this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghorron
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both sets, too, and while the marble dice aren't terrible they aren't good either. should have ordered 2 frost dice sets instead, they look awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:

While taking that photo i noticed that the yellow of the marbled dice is even lighter than the yellow of the core set dice, and that i have trouble discerning the symbols on them at any further than half-an-arm's length away

That is unfortunate. At least for the yellow I might offer you a simple fix? If you have a black crayon, I would suggest you rub it vigorously into the dice symbol debossments (some wiping away of excess on the surface may be required afterwards). Or perhaps some other color that doesn't match the swirls. This should improve the readability at a distance, even if it doesn't dispel your disappointment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
... setting aside not looking anything like the image on the campaign...

Doh, you're right:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/massive-d...

Those look much more like the frosted dice.

The bottom-most photo of real dice on that page says:

"Example of the kind of texture that will be present in the Frost Dice and Marble Dice."

What we were given looks nothing at all like that.

i'm curious if we'll get replacements if enough of us make a stink about it. i doubt it, but i'm curious.

jmathias wrote:
Between this and the odd scale minis...

AFAIK, only those who got the Z:BP crossover have been concerned by that. Not being a cross-player, i haven't noticed any unusualness in their scales.

jmathias wrote:
I'm less and less excite to get this game.

The extra dice aren't part of the game, per se, and don't reflect poorly on the game. They do reflect poorly on the marketer who posted completely different photos of them in KS, the dice's designer, and the manager who signed off on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. The frost dice look like how I expected the marble to look. And the marble look like dooky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xookliba wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

While taking that photo i noticed that the yellow of the marbled dice is even lighter than the yellow of the core set dice, and that i have trouble discerning the symbols on them at any further than half-an-arm's length away

That is unfortunate. At least for the yellow I might offer you a simple fix? If you have a black crayon, I would suggest you rub it vigorously into the dice symbol debossments (some wiping away of excess on the surface may be required afterwards).

If i didn't have the frosted dice, that's what i'd do. My marbled set will sit on my shelf untouched, likely forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Dickie
msg tools
I think the marble dice look fantastic, weathered and in keeping with the dark dungeon crawl theme of the game...ALL HAIL THE MARBLE DICE!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crogafette wrote:
I think the marble dice look fantastic, weathered and in keeping with the dark dungeon crawl theme of the game...ALL HAIL THE MARBLE DICE!!!

It's like Blade said: "There's always some <expletive> trying to ice skate uphill"

If they looked truly weathered (and if the yellow wasn't so light) i'd like them better. As it is, they look more like ice cream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nobody Suspects
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
Wow. The frost dice look like how I expected the marble to look. And the marble look like dooky.

My thoughts exactly. I feel like I've been duped. In the mock-up they displayed during the campaign, the frost dice looked like they had been rolled in glitter. Now the frost dice look the way the marble dice were purported to be and the marble dice look like some sort of melted crayon amalgam.yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I really do not understand is how they did pass quality control. Even the sides of a single die are completely different. One side is plain yellow and the other is greenish black. Marble would be ashamed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:

Frost vs Marble:

Interesting. Based on that photo, I much prefer the Marble set to the Frost set. I guess opinions will vary, as with everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

Frost vs Marble:

Interesting. Based on that photo, I much prefer the Marble set to the Frost set. I guess opinions will vary, as with everything.

Just wait until you try to read the symbols on the yellow marble :/. Maybe you're still young and still have telescopic vision, but many of us are... not young... and our vision is... less good... than it used to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Staples
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn. Checked my invoice. I ordered marble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ozmo wrote:
Damn. Checked my invoice. I ordered marble.

If you're lucky they'll accidentally pack frosted instead .

The frosted dice really are gorgeous. i don't mind the core set dice, except that they look a bit too "bright" for this theme. The frosted, though... absolutely beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

Frost vs Marble:

I much prefer the marble dice (and I have them in front of me), not sure what everyone is on about... I think they look fantastic! Kind of remind me of the dark swirling mist inside a Palantíri cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The above set looks ok. I will take some pictures tomorrow and show how ugly they can be. Obviously there is a totally random deviation of how the black color is mixed into the base color. I'm absolutly willing to exchange my 2 sets of 'fantastic' marble dice with frosted or even base ones. Anyone interested in germany ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Dickie
msg tools
I guess its a matter of taste (most of you are wrong)...I've still to get my pledge, so they may be awful in reality. LONG LIVE THE MARBLE DICE!!! (they are 'FANTASTIC')
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Dickie
msg tools
Do they taste like ice cream though....?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a little surprised by the marble dice but after "fondling" them a bit I think I quite like them. The black swirls are strange but I realised it evokes the darkness theme quite well.

Anyone who doesn't want theirs can send 'em my way, I wish I'd bought more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The marble dice actually turned out looking like marble (google "marble" if you don't believe me). I don't think they look that bad.

I think the bigger issue is the poor representation of the marble dice during the KS. Was it really that hard to take a normal set of dice and put some random black streaking in it for the renders? Furthermore why did they use metallic-y, glitter-y dice with marble lines in the photo of real dice as an example instead of something better? I found much better examples just googling marble dice than what they used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.