Subject: If you could only buy one for solo play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse F
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I know a lot of people have asked which edition of Hoplomachus is the best and which should they buy first. It seems that every time someone asks this the general answer is just get the first one and go from there, but that doesn't tell one much about the differences between the games. I'd like a more specific answer to a more specific question.

If you could only buy ONE of the games and intended to only use it for solo play, which one would provide the most interesting solo experience?

While it would be nice to own the entire set I can't justify that kind of cost. Even a single version is more expensive than your average board game. Based on what I have read it seems that the solo play in each version is significantly different, although perhaps i'm wrong on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Origins for sure to my mind.

Smaller footprint, plays faster, less expensive, great solo trials campaign system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: If you could only buy one for solo play?
I prefer Rise of Rome, the Titans are my favorite! I'll elaborate when I'm no longer on my phone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke T.
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say RoR because I love the Titian AI system. The Lost Cities is great and maybe even plays a tad bit faster, but RoR is the one I consistently pull out to play. Sadly I don't own Origins yet but will soon. I would say I play RoR 3 out of every 4 times I get my Hoplo on which is about twice a week. Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TLC solo play: It is the same game play feel for each of the opponents. The only difference is each opponent has a different special attack, one of them is also a beast so has random movement as well. All opponents have the same set of beasts and criminals to add to the arena and they all behave the same way for each one. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as I have enjoyed my solo plays and haven't gotten tired of it yet but the differences between opponents is minor.

RoR solo play: each Titan is dramatically different in movement, attack, and additions to the arena. There is a lot of variety with the Titans.

Origins: sorry don't own this one.

I'd have a hard time saying but I think I would say RoR for solo play only although you really can't go wrong with either one. The nice thing about TLC is you could optionally play 2 or 3 player with it as well where with RoR the only other player count is 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse F
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks all. Sounds like RoR it is. Looking forward to trying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.