Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Woll
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game and read the rules. I have some questions.

1. On page 12, there is an example of a fleet jumping. There is an anomaly 3 steps away yet it is marked as not accessible. Why?
2. Are there enough ways to get antimatter? It seems like if I never build a fleet over 3 ships and never build a unique unit then my opponent either can't win or it might take several hours. Is this a viable strategy?

3. I noticed a rules thread where Emil states that Diplomacy action c. "Form, change, or cancel 1 alliance with another empire..." that forming an alliance must actually be a mutual decision contrary to what the rules indicate. Does this apply to changing alliances or canceling alliances as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Larsen
Denmark
Faxe
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nathan,

1. I've received that question before, so I have to assume it's because it's hard to see, but the anomaly hasn't been explored yet. That's why you can't jump there

2. There are antimatter on systems, agents, artifacts and items on the market. So there should be enough ways to win without doing battle

3. The rules explain that you can only form an alliance if your leader is successful with the leader roll (option c), which is correct.
However, alliances are still a mutual decision, so if the other player doesn't want to, there's no way to force an alliance upon him.
Both players may cancel the alliances through a diplomacy action again.

The rule's origin might also explain it: Originally I just had alliances as a separate (other layer) in the game and people could exchange alliances as they saw fit.
But in order to avoid last minute alliances against the winning player or other similar gang-up situations, I made the alliances part of the leaders' actions.
In this way players have to invest in it, and last minute alliances are very hard to come by.

I hope that helped a bit
Best regards Emil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Woll
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have more questions:
1. The player aid states that jumping into a system with an opposing fleet will end your jump action, but the rules state only jumping into a system with an opposing fleet of 4 or more ships will end your action. I assume rulebook is correct?

2.Construct action - you may construct and purchase as much as your treasury of crystals and construction limit permit. Does my construction limit only apply to the number of units/unique units I can construct or the number of things I can do during the construct action?
I.E. with a construct limit of 4 can i purchase 3 items from the market and construct 4 units or not? (It seems rather ambiguous)

3. There is no indication which symbols mean light, neutral or dark, I guess it doesn't matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Larsen
Denmark
Faxe
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure thing

1. Well, both are correct. Because if you look on the last page (24), you can see in the terms that only enemy fleets of 4 or more ships count as "Opposing fleets". So the Player Aid is basically just the short explanation.

2. That's why I put the two examples next to the explanation (black box) on page 16.
So it's a combined total, e.g. 2 items and 2 units, or any of the other combinations showcased.

3. Yea, that's only a lore thing
But it'll be described in the FAQs site I'm putting up on my website in a couple of days.

Have a good day Nathan,
Best regards Emil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Larsen
Denmark
Faxe
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi again Nathan,

I've hereby uploaded the FAQs page on my website: http://www.suntzugames.com/burning-suns-rules-and-faqs.html

Hope it can help you out, if you have other questions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.