Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this game is supposed to be released in a week yet there is nothing but a single thread posted here. Nothing from the creator. Nothing from the distributor. No reviews. No buzz.

Nothing.

I don't think I've ever seen a game on BGG with so little info so close to release.

Maybe if the movie had been a hit there would be something more here trying to build on that success. But with the poor reception of the movie maybe the game is getting retooled. Likely a little too late for that since it is probably already waiting at distribution centers.

Just weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Natera
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I actually forgot this game existed until this post! I saw the movie it was just ok at best. Not terrible. But it's too bad because it felt like it could have been AMAZING. Maybe the game is good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
mb
I fear that it might mean this is a quick cash grab. They were hoping to release it with a successful film, but maybe they were hesitant to put funding into advertising and promotions, maybe because early focus groups for the film weren't too positive.

But that's all guesses. Not sure why it's so quiet.

I'm following the game because of the theme. But honestly, even though I love the genre, director, idea and even the actors--the trailers have left the movie looking like an underwhelming CGI fest. I think others feel the same due to the lack of box office sales. Rotten tomatoes has it at only 50%, which is also probably hurting it. Not sure if I'll see it in theatres.

Though perhaps a good game could come out of it, so I'm curious to see if anything happens with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the universe that was created in the film had such large possibilities that the faltering of the actors and the script did a great disservice in eliminating the chance of future Valerian adventures. Visually the movie was a feast and I greatly enjoyed that aspect. Also many of the ideas presented were perfect fodder for more exposition and exploration.

My hope is that the game, released from the bounds of bad acting, can rebound and allow me to further explore this captivating universe. So I rolled the dice (snap) and pre-ordered a copy. I really hope I am not disappointed a second time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had read the game was supposed to release on the 9th but, of course, it didn't. Amazon now has it to release on the 1st of September.

I guess I'll see if that happens and my game ships out on that day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read anything about anyone seeing this at Gen Con but I did find this in a search:

"The game will premiere at Gen Con and release to trade in September."

Is it at Gen Con? If it is nobody seems to be paying any mind or impressed enough to comment about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
Odd, so this game is based on the Valerian franchise after all? I must say, I did not watch the movie after several warnings, it would be horrible, but I quite liked the French comic series. I played the game in Essen, assuming it should be connected to the theme, but while playing it seemed to be in no way related to it other, than that it is (coincidently) also SciFi.

The game itself seemed fine, but it felt way too easy to win. Although the lady at the booth pointed out afterwards, that there are ways to make it harder for the players, it seems to me to be an optimisation puzzle, where the options to optimize (with your given die rolls) are fairly obvious. I think, it could still be more interesting on "hard mode", but there are probably a gazillion of coop games, which provide a similar kind of entertainment and plenty of them, doing it better than this game. But take this with a grain of salt, as I only played it once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insight, Metthias. I am hoping CSI gets their copies soon so mine can wing its way to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.