Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JonSnow and I were having a conversation a week or two ago and he threw out an A-Team quote, and that got me thinking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work! thumbsup

Are you going to add other regulars such as Colonel Decker, Amy Allen, Captain Crane, etc? You need 18 cards for a print run!

I'm not sure why Murdock gets discarded when Alliance Contact occurs. This could see him get kicked off the Ship often and is a double whammy during a Corvette Contact if you have unprotected Wanted Crew! Maybe just a Disgruntle would be an alternative option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it!

Re Murdock discard. Maybe he could be placed on Londinium and then the rest of the crew could bust him out by completing misbehaves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like.

Okay, have to nitpick--one fuel seems cheap to get Companion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hells YEAH!

It's like they wrote the show just to make Firefly characters. Outstanding.

You'll need an AK-47. [FIGHT] [FIGHT] FIREARM When equipped, Thrillin' Heroics occurs on a 5+. $600

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dalek1 wrote:
Nice work! thumbsup

Are you going to add other regulars such as Colonel Decker, Amy Allen, Captain Crane, etc? You need 18 cards for a print run!

I'm not sure why Murdock gets discarded when Alliance Contact occurs. This could see him get kicked off the Ship often and is a double whammy during a Corvette Contact if you have unprotected Wanted Crew! Maybe just a Disgruntle would be an alternative option?

Not sure what I'm doing with these guys. I just had some idea and wanted to get 'em out there! Maybe I'll pair them with some Gear (Hannibal's Cigar? B.A.'s Bling?) and other "homeless" Crew (like the folks from Leverage)...

As for other characters, I'm not opposed to it, but, to be honest, I haven't watched THE A-TEAM in years, so just these guys were a bit of a challenge!

I'll address Murdock below.

Damjon wrote:
Love it!

Re Murdock discard. Maybe he could be placed on Londinium and then the rest of the crew could bust him out by completing misbehaves?

I toyed with a dynamic to break him out rather than just hiring him, and even toyed with maybe having to do something at the beginning of every job (because he needed to be busted out almost every episode), but it started to get too unwieldy.

What I was going for - and what may not be working - was the idea that he's constantly being captured by the authorities and put away, needing to be rescued again. On the other hand, I did not want him to be actually Wanted, since he was the only one of the gang that wasn't.

If folks have ideas on how to refine the idea, let's talk about 'em!

selenite wrote:
I like.

Okay, have to nitpick--one fuel seems cheap to get Companion.

I don't disagree, although I was going for simplicity. "Discard a Contraband, Cargo, or Parts" doesn't roll off the tongue...

One idea I couldn't find a place for was "Building Montage" where, once per Work Action, you can spend a Parts to count as... Transport? Any keyword?

Thanks for the feedback, folks - keep it coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
One idea I couldn't find a place for was "Building Montage" where, once per Work Action, you can spend a Parts to count as... Transport? Any keyword?
I've never seen the show, but the impression I've got is that it takes time - so maybe spend the cost and a Work to generate a one-shot keyword token usable in a future Work action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Damjon wrote:
Love it!

I toyed with a dynamic to break him out rather than just hiring him, and even toyed with maybe having to do something at the beginning of every job (because he needed to be busted out almost every episode), but it started to get too unwieldy.

What I was going for - and what may not be working - was the idea that he's constantly being captured by the authorities and put away, needing to be rescued again. On the other hand, I did not want him to be actually Wanted, since he was the only one of the gang that wasn't.

Maybe you have to make a
or
Test when starting a job or Murdock stays on the ship. That could represent having to bust him out for every job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I love the A-Team here!

My do have a qualm with Murdock. Though a $0 Pilot is mighty good, I would never want to Disgruntle my whole crew over a simple re-roll. However, this ability might be worthwhile if I could Disgruntle everyone else but got Thrilling Heroics on some Flying roll.

I wonder if Hannibal's ability is strong enough. I would expand that to be when Thrilling Heroics occurs on ANY roll. It would also work nice with that proposed change to Murdock, which seems fitting again for Hannibal. No question Fake ID is a clever one for him, given his desire to dress up as often as he could.

B.A. is very interesting. I'd assume using his keyword of Mechanic for a Fly card or flying-based encounter (like a Crazy Ivan) is what counts as "used during a Fly Action"? Transport is a spectacular ability, so I'd still want him on my crew. I kind of think B.A. could use 1 more Fight as well.

I also kind of wonder if the A-Team should just have 1 Fight across the board, since they did seem like they could beat folk pretty well.

On the whole though, I really love the A-Team! They would fit well with a small set with Leverage Inc, perhaps as a "Cortex Legends" expansion concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it! This was my favorite show back in the day. I think you did a great job on a first pass at translating the characters into game terms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Christianson
msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree, I think Hannibal's leader card is very under-powered. Fitting to his character, no doubt. But not strong enough to compete with the other leaders. Wanted and Moral, and soldier bonus is very limited.
He is more like a value $300 crew member. I love all the cards though, Good Job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:

Gear: Exactly What We Need.
Discard this card and one Part to count as any keyword.

"Well, boys, we need a Companion for this job, and I found these open source sexbot plans on the Cortex. Get to work."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
selenite wrote:
gwek wrote:

"Well, boys, we need a Companion for this job, and I found these open source sexbot plans on the Cortex. Get to work."

"We've got 3 garbage cans, this ancient transistor radio, and a truckload of overripe bananas."

::cue dramatic build music::
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rackham9 wrote:
I agree, I think Hannibal's leader card is very under-powered. Fitting to his character, no doubt. But not strong enough to compete with the other leaders. Wanted and Moral, and soldier bonus is very limited.
He is more like a value $300 crew member. I love all the cards though, Good Job.

A fair point. While I think he's good as a Leader like this, perhaps this is one to get the Zoë treatment: Leader card and normal Crew card. He was the leader of the team, but they were always working for someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
rackham9 wrote:

A fair point. While I think he's good as a Leader like this, perhaps this is one to get the Zoë treatment: Leader card and normal Crew card. He was the leader of the team, but they were always working for someone else.

Doesn't the same hold true of Mal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does. But when you're the star of the show...

... I mean if this was The A Team The Game...

So if you did both, Hannibal the Leader is up for grabs. If no one takes him, he's in a Supply deck, to be hired when the Leader you DID take has a problem, and no one else can help, and he happened to find him on Regina...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know. I think you could make the same argument for any leader. I know there's a Crew and a Leader Zoe, but that's the current exception rather than the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
It does. But when you're the star of the show...

... I mean if this was The A Team The Game...

So if you did both, Hannibal the Leader is up for grabs. If no one takes him, he's in a Supply deck, to be hired when the Leader you DID take has a problem, and no one else can help, and he happened to find him on Regina...

The A-Team
The A-Team: The Adventures with B.A. Card Game
whistle ... and gulp I think George's cards for Firefly will be far more enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
I don't know. I think you could make the same argument for any leader. I know there's a Crew and a Leader Zoe, but that's the current exception rather than the rule.

A lot of them yes. But then someone like Riddick. Not a Leader but still a leader, and certainly not a follower, but doable as Crew. Would Jubal fit that mold?

Nandi didn't even have a ship. A brothel, yes, but not a flying brothel.

... wait a minute! Why do we not have a Heart of Gold SHIP?

I guess at the end of the day, the characters pulled out to be Leaders are those that, in the show, had a ship (were actual captains) - or in the case of the outliers, had money for a ship and/or led a "Crew". Nandi owned a buidling, ran a business, and had a crew (a crew of whores mind you, but a crew nonetheless). Burgess, we assume, owned some ships used for his business (though I'm pretty sure he didn't captain them himself) and had a crew of cutthroats. Atherton, again, rich, likely owned some ships for business, and while he didn't necessarily have a crew of rough and tumbles, he did have a posse of hangers-on and wannabes. So within the context of the show, all those characters (the Leaders) are the ones who could be (or actually were) captains of a legitimate transport vessel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
selenite wrote:
gwek wrote:

THAT would be a very worthwhile ability!
I think I'd still call it "Nice!", or possibly "I love it when a plan comes together".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dawson
Canada
Kelowna
BC
flag msg tools
mb
turambur wrote:
gwek wrote:
Damjon wrote:
Love it!

Maybe you have to make a
or
Test when starting a job or Murdock stays on the ship. That could represent having to bust him out for every job.

My first thought on Murdock is that he is discarded to the nearest supply planet whenever he gets disgruntled. Then, when you want to hire him, you have to pass a misbehave. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HarleighDhai wrote:
turambur wrote:
gwek wrote:
Damjon wrote:
Love it!

Maybe you have to make a
or

My first thought on Murdock is that he is discarded to the nearest supply planet whenever he gets disgruntled. Then, when you want to hire him, you have to pass a misbehave. Thoughts?

As long as other players can't hire him out from under you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HarleighDhai wrote:

I think he's fine as is. KISS and all. But if you wanted to go down the rabbit hole, and this might be an interesting mechanic for other characters as well... What if, instead of a cost in $, the cost for "this character" was a test, like a TALK test. So to hire them, or when paying Crew after a Job, you take a TALK test. Pass = hire/retain. Fail = Not Hired/discarded.

If you really want to go crazy, instead of a $ amount, you could also put a Misbehave icon in there, and then you'd have to Misbehave to hire/retain them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony bristow
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really like these...lol
The only question for back story is were they brown coats or alliance?
I guess that could be ones own choice.
Either way awesome now do up a firefly with the vans paint job....lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fallensaviour wrote:
I really like these...lol
The only question for back story is were they brown coats or alliance?
I guess that could be ones own choice.
Either way awesome now do up a firefly with the vans paint job....lol

They've got to be a Browncoats special forces group. No way would they fit into the Alliance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.