Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a time when FFG had at least a dozen or more games a year that really caught my eye be it theme, license, or lush production values. I haven't had that feeling in a long time, all I think of when I think of FFG now is Star Wars Mini's stuff and I'll be honest I'm not the least bit interested in Star Wars stuff. I know it's very popular but it's not for me. I really do miss all the good stuff they released at a steady pace, I suppose the loss of the Games Workshop license was a pretty big dent. I don't have the perception that they are a world class publisher anymore.. they just churn out as much Star Wars stuff as they can. That statement alone would chill the blood of their marketing team.

I miss the old independent FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have a few other games they still support, but in terms of new content are essentially the LCG and Star Wars branch of Asmodee.

I almost feel like CMON is the new FFG in many ways. A lot of their games would have felt right at home coming from the old FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Cutner
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Their attitude towards their customer base has changed sines their takeover as well. The weird way of releasing Days of the Fox is an example of poor planning and marketing. When contacted, they are dismissive and unwilling to help. Sad indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't Days of the Fox come out almost a decade ago? Long before the Asmodee deal in any case. 1A Games took over Tide of Iron five years ago, somewhat before the Asmodee merger. Not sure what's happened with that since.

And I dunno. FFG has certainly narrowed their focus somewhat and gone heavily into miniatures. Fewer small games, stuff like the old Silver Line releases. But still some. With Asmodee rolling up a number of publishers a lot of the other sorts of products they used to put out seem like they're published under different labels now.

But I've never had a bad experience contacting them. They're cagey with details about things they haven't announced, like most companies are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dice roll wrote:
all I think of when I think of FFG now is Star Wars Mini's stuff

Then you obviously didn't even bother to look at their homepage. You will see a lot more stuff than just Star Wars Minis.. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
They have a few other games they still support, but in terms of new content are essentially the LCG and Star Wars branch of Asmodee.

I almost feel like CMON is the new FFG in many ways. A lot of their games would have felt right at home coming from the old FFG.

My thoughts exactly as of late. While FFG has their various Universes (Starwars, Arkham-Eldritch, Game of Thrones, Runebound, Android...), they don't seem to have too much game innovation beyond those franchised universes.

I attended CMON Expo in May, and they clearly had many games outside their Zombicide and Arcadia Quest franchises. Ethnos was a nice surprise, as was Lorenzo. Even The Godfather was different, but good. Not what you would expect from the Cool Minis company, but certainly what you might see coming out of the old FFG, or currently from Stronghold. Seriously, what was the last non universe board game hit for FFG that brought the masses to the FFG booth at GenCon? Doom? Witcher? X-Com? Yet CMON scored 3 big ones in May at CMON Expo, not to mention Blood Rage last year, Potion Explosion last year, Rising Sun next year.

I will still look to FFG for my StarWars stuff, Game of Thrones stuff, and Runebound (Thank God they resurrected that into 3rd Ed). After that I am looking at CMON, and a few others for innovative great gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
What span of years were they releasing 12 or more new games a year that you wanted?

I mean, they have other companies making the euros now, but I think your tastes have changed or you've got some rose colored glasses on if you think their catalog is drastically different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
What span of years were they releasing 12 or more new games a year that you wanted?

I mean, they have other companies making the euros now, but I think your tastes have changed or you've got some rose colored glasses on if you think their catalog is drastically different.

It's been a while since they have released 1 game a year I wanted. Last new FFG game I bought was Forbidden Stars two years ago. Back in the day it was probably closer to at least 2 or 3 new games I wanted per year, and that is base games, not expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went to their website. They have a ton of stuff, and much of it is not Star Wars. Much of their stuff revolves around their various "universes", such as Runebound, Game of Thrones, Arkham Horro, and, yes, Star Wars, but they still offer things like Cosmic Encounter and Twilight Imperium. They still seem like the same old FFG to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I just went to their website. They have a ton of stuff, and much of it is not Star Wars. Much of their stuff revolves around their various "universes", such as Runebound, Game of Thrones, Arkham Horro, and, yes, Star Wars, but they still offer things like Cosmic Encounter and Twilight Imperium. They still seem like the same old FFG to me.
Sure they still sell many of their old games, but look the new stuff. Their news feed is almost all LCG and Star Wars. Or take a look at the Upcoming stuff. Pretty much the same with Whitehall Mystery and GoT Catan being the exceptions in a sea of Star Wars and LCG content. And Rune Wars which as a miniatures game is basically an LCG with figures instead of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

Yeah I hate to pile on but its basically Star Wars and LCG's or its a rehash of and old game of some sort with new IP like Game of thrones Catan/Cosmic Encounter/LCG. They basically are not creating any new great games just living off the pile of Star Wars cash and doing lots of rehash of old games with new IP's or new versions of games like Legend of the Five Rings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Have you listened to our YouTube Podcast "Die Nische" yet? :)
mbmbmbmbmb
One the hand I am starting to enjoy the newer games less than the first big gaming experiences I had with their early titles (like Doom, Arkham etc.).

On the other hand one have to admit that they put a lot of work redesigning their games with the newer editions.

Runebound 2.Ed and Runebound 3. Ed are very different and the latter is a huge improvement.

Mansions of Madness 2nd edition recreates the first game from scratch and is superior in every aspect.

So I think your taste has developed and you are going a different route.

I think it is true that FFG stopped making these huge big box (5 hours +) games. But they still make 3+ hours games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beckikaze wrote:
One the hand I am starting to enjoy the newer games less than the first big gaming experiences I had with their early titles (like Doom, Arkham etc.).

On the other hand one have to admit that they put a lot of work redesigning their games with the newer editions.

Runebound 2.Ed and Runebound 3. Ed are very different and the latter is a huge improvement.

Mansions of Madness 2nd edition recreates the first game from scratch and is superior in every aspect.

I think it is true that FFG stopped making these huge big box (5 hours +) games. But they still make 3+ hours games.
Runebound 3rd edition is 2 years old and MoM 2nd edition is a year old. So if we consider the last 2 years and we include new editions, then yeah, it is possible to find a couple of counter examples. shake

Compare that to CMON for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Beckikaze wrote:

Runebound 3rd edition is 2 years old and MoM 2nd edition is a year old. So if we consider the last 2 years and we include new editions, then yeah, it is possible to find a couple of counter examples. shake

Compare that to CMON for example.

A newer company who's games are mostly mediocre bargain bin kickstarter eye candy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethnos is neither KS nor eye candy, but is an excellent game that is universally praised by reviewers despite how bland it looks. That criticism of CMON would have been valid a couple of years ago but it is no longer the case. They have put out some VERY good games both on and off KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Ethnos is neither KS nor eye candy, but is an excellent game that is universally praised by reviewers despite how bland it looks. That criticism of CMON would have been valid a couple of years ago but it is no longer the case. They have put out some VERY good games both on and off KS.

It's almost like I said mostly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
dice roll wrote:
I don't have the perception that they are a world class publisher anymore.. they just churn out as much Star Wars stuff as they can.

Putting out Star Wars games and being a world class publisher are not mutually exclusive. You may not like the theme, but I think it's hard to deny that the games they are putting out are well designed.

Rebellion is sitting in the top 10, X-Wing and Imperial Assault are in the top 100 and Armada has a pretty solid position in the top 200 as well. (All these games have received critical love as well, so it's not just people's thoughts on the license propelling them up the ratings)

And it's not like they've abandoned non-SW games either. Last year they put out 4 very solid non-SW titles (Arkham LCG, Mansions 2E, New Angeles and DOOM). Hell, of the top 21 games in the rankings, three of them are 2016 FFG releases. That certainly seems like a world-class showing to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sassycat wrote:
dice roll wrote:
I don't have the perception that they are a world class publisher anymore.. they just churn out as much Star Wars stuff as they can.

Putting out Star Wars games and being a world class publisher are not mutually exclusive. You may not like the theme, but I think it's hard to deny that the games they are putting out are well designed.

Rebellion is sitting in the top 10, X-Wing and Imperial Assault are in the top 100 and Armada has a pretty solid position in the top 200 as well. (All these games have received critical love as well, so it's not just people's thoughts on the license propelling them up the ratings)

And it's not like they've abandoned non-SW games either. Last year they put out 4 very solid non-SW titles (Arkham LCG, Mansions 2E, New Angeles and DOOM). Hell, of the top 21 games in the rankings, three of them are 2016 FFG releases. That certainly seems like a world-class showing to me.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Just look at the top 100 and you'll see FFG have still got it. As someone who loves their current lines (Arkham LCG and Star Wars: IA) I would rather they focus their efforts on what they know is good and what their consumers want than in trying to pump out new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
ras2124 wrote:
Sure they still sell many of their old games, but look the new stuff. Their news feed is almost all LCG and Star Wars.
IMHO that's the crux of the matter, and what annoys people: How they advertise what they sell, and what they choose to advertise. Because they do still have non-Star-Wars and non-LCG titles, but if you follow their media you would never know it.

FFG is now "the Star Wars and LCG" company mostly because that's what makes them the most $$$, so that's the corporate face they put towards the consumer. There are still other FFG options, but you have to dig for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some people are missing the point.
FFG continues to put out great games. No argument there. Star Wars Rebellion and Runebound 3rd edition are excellent.

And both are in their franchise universes.

But outside their franchised universes, other than the tried and true oldies (TI3, Cosmic Encounters...) it's pretty slim pickings lately if you are looking for something new from them that isn't Arkham, SW, GOT, Android, or Runebound or LOTR.

BTW, for the record, I am a huge fan of LOTR LCG, Eldritch Horror, Eldritch Sign, Star War Miniatures, Star Wars Rebellion, Arkham Horror LCG, Game of Thrones Iron Throne, Star Wars LCG, and a few others, so I am not anti FFG. I am only noticing that innovation outside the franchise universes are slim as of late. The last great non franchise universe game I got from them was Mission Red Planet over a year ago. Still looking for a great one this year. Hey, Catan Game of Thrones might be great. We will see at GenCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Not much left to be excited about, honestly. Their homegrown stuff was always less than interesting to me. I loved them having the Warhammer license but they lost it so that's gone too.

What a shame. Getting bought out seems to do that to companies, what a shame. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Simple answer? They got acquired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Agreed. Not much left to be excited about, honestly. Their homegrown stuff was always less than interesting to me. I loved them having the Warhammer license but they lost it so that's gone too.

What a shame. Getting bought out seems to do that to companies, what a shame. :shake:

Or, what awesomeness for the Star Wars fans out there that for years and years longed for decent licensed games for one of, it not THE, most popular licenses in the world.

The fact that we have games like X-Wing, Rebellion, Imperial Assualt, etc. is something that is beyond comprehension for many in the game community. Based on their alleged sales numbers, I think I am in the majority.

I do sympathize for those that are going elsewhere for games that fit their taste, but their business model has been great for fans like myself (if not for our wallets).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG's pretty much dropped their Silver Line games (and GW-licensed games), and continues to release new, but incompatible, versions of their popular game lines. They're also, though, releasing more "lifestyle" games (eg. Arkham Horror LCG, Netrunner LCG, Lord of the Rings LCG, and Game of Thrones LCG (not sure if the last two are still published), Star Wars Destiny, RuneWars miniatures, Star Wars: Legion, etc.), and the market's pretty saturated with these. On top of this, I *think* FFG has the most boardgames with the most expansions (frex, four "big box" expansions for AH and IA). With FFG having dropped BattleLore, the Call of Cthulhu LCG (and Warhammer LCG), I'm curious what "lifestyle" games FFG will support in the coming years, as well as what new standalone Euro and other games they will release.

Their CYOA-ish Legacy of Dragonholt seems promising, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
FFG's pretty much dropped their Silver Line games

As far as I know, re-releases of the classic games were assigned to the short-lived Windrider Games, which was later merged to Z-Man games.

The games are available in the Asmodee group, and FFG can do what they (seem to) do best.

FFG is replacing the lost GW IP/settings with Star Wars and their own IP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.