Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Green
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
designer
fatcatgaming.co.uk - playing with lasers.
badge
mbmbmbmb
Howdy!

I'm working on a project for a all-fits-one player organiser. I've posted in the accessory section already Omnitray but thought here may be a better place to ask for a larger sample of answers.

Still quite new to this, both the BGG forum and everything else that we're trying to achieve, please be patient if I screw up the post.

Part of the poll is to simply ask the community for their most common player count, get invovled and to engage with you guys as I feel I've been missing out on quite a lot of cool stuff that happens here - I'm active on FB groups but not BGG.

The other part is to try and help figure out the best possible options that I can offer when the campaign goes live - I'm thinking of creating a campaign box that'll hold the organisers in, it should be amazing - famous last words.

Poll
Most common player count
7+
      549 answers
Poll created by fatcatgaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I parsed 'most common' as 'count the number of games'. But if you meant 'count the amount of time spent' you would have got a different answer from me. I probably spend more time at Solo Gaming, but since lots of those solo games I play are long things that finish in days, it's easy for a few quick games of Innovation over lunchtime to outweigh them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Green
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
I parsed 'most common' as 'count the number of games'. But if you meant 'count the amount of time spent' you would have got a different answer from me. I probably spend more time at Solo Gaming, but since lots of those solo games I play are long things that finish in days, it's easy for a few quick games of Innovation over lunchtime to outweigh them.

I love that you used 'parsed'

Very good point, and thank you for making me aware of it - it's very easy for me to get rabbit -vision on these things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Yorga
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steve, funny to see my BGG gaming life intersect with my FB gaming life ("Hai!"). I'm part of the group you mention - but then who isn't?

I've voted, but...I have never created a BGG poll but the way this is set up it's possible to tick all the boxes - was that your intent? Seems like it should only be possible to choose one ("most")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Green
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yorga wrote:
Hi Steve, funny to see my BGG gaming life intersect with my FB gaming life ("Hai!"). I'm part of the group you mention - but then who isn't?

I've voted, but...I have never created a BGG poll but the way this is set up it's possible to tick all the boxes - was that your intent? Seems like it should only be possible to choose one ("most")

Hullo there, Mr Yorga!!!

TBH, I kinda wanted both - sounds daft right? You're right of course, having most does imply the er...the most.

The results are looking kinda as expected though, 1,2 and 4 way out in front

Take a peek at the fatcat page and send from FB love!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Swagman
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone posted this on the 1 Player Guild and asked people to vote, so your poll might have results skewed towards solitaire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
ASwagman wrote:
Someone posted this on the 1 Player Guild and asked people to vote, so your poll might have results skewed towards solitaire.

haha yeah I think this poll has been ruined.

Most games are 2-4. That's the ultimate sweet spot. If I had to pick a single player count, it would likely be 4 as the most common but that's only if you're looking at traditional board games and you're not including wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Yorga
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This poll has been flagged up on the 1PG (1 Player Guild) so your results may get skewed when they all pile on (that's how I found out about it).

Time to notify the 2-4PGs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Green
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
ASwagman wrote:

Lol well, I didn't see that happen but it matters not. I think my questions have been answered
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Green
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
ASwagman wrote:

Most games are 2-4. That's the ultimate sweet spot. If I had to pick a single player count, it would likely be 4 as the most common but that's only if you're looking at traditional board games and you're not including wargames.

1,2 and 4 is the pertinent info I'm picking out of the poll. I wasn't sure how 4 would fare against 5 but this certainly helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Green
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yorga wrote:
This poll has been flagged up on the 1PG (1 Player Guild) so your results may get skewed when they all pile on (that's how I found out about it).

Time to notify the 2-4PGs!

To the Batmobile!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
ASwagman wrote:

I don't see how that skews the info. People who play solo more often than at other player counts came and voted honestly. Seems like half the games coming out these days have a solo option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went for 1 player based on approx games played this year so far.
40% solo
30% two player
20% 4 player
10% 3 and 5 player.
You may find that a mix of player counts is most common and despite being primarily a solo gamer I would get at least two trays possibly 4 depending on the deal.
I see nations, terraforming mars and imperial settlers on a nearby shelf already benefitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Enter something witty here
badge
These aren't really my legs
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
broken clock wrote:
ASwagman wrote:

I don't see how that skews the info. People who play solo more often than at other player counts came and voted honestly. Seems like half the games coming out these days have a solo option.

Bingo. I voted Solo. In July I had:

~17 games non solo
~38 games solo

If we were talking about the most common type of games available (not necessarily played) then yes, 2-4 players is more widespread though solo rules have been picking up in recent years. I'd like to see more games officially support 1 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a toss up between three, four and five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play at home on non-scheduled group nights (2-3x/month) it is usually with one of the other married couples. For monthly game night at church any number (5-9) could show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
The poll allows a person to choose more than one option. But the OP text seems to imply that we should choose only 1. Should we only choose one option? (A comparison of the # of voters to the # of votes shows that some people must be voting for more than one option.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Most of the times in my old group the count was at six. Great for board gaming but sometimes it slowed down table top RPG playing because all of the rules adjudications
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say 4 player games are most common, wargaming aside. But the thing about 4, is it includes 2, 1 and 3!

No idea what your proposed product is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 is by far the most common count that I play. 3 and 5 are probably equally in a distant second place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
I don't see how that skews the info. People who play solo more often than at other player counts came and voted honestly.

If the sample of voters is skewed, the result is, too. Do you seriously believe that the solo option winning with almost 60% is not skewed?

Quote:
Seems like half the games coming out these days have a solo option.

There are more nowadays than in the past, but nowhere close to half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think four is my most common player count. But it's self-reinforcing. I play a lot of games at a player count of four because that's the limit on a lot of games. I play in large gaming groups and we generally have to split up to play games because most games won't accommodate larger numbers. If anything, I would be more likely to buy a game with a higher player count because they're less common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo gamer may be the exact best customer for his omnitray. At any rate, over at the one person guild we have 3 active threads I know about asking about card holders and the like -- tools for helping people solo games where there are multiple hands of cards to manage.

Another possible market is people with small gamer children. I bought some of these:
for the initial use case of 'my relatives who are having difficulty holding TTR cards in their tiny hands' but they have sure come in useful for solo gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuene
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
kittenhoarder wrote:
I don't see how that skews the info. People who play solo more often than at other player counts came and voted honestly.

If the sample of voters is skewed, the result is, too. Do you seriously believe that the solo option winning with almost 60% is not skewed?

You underestimate how many people play solo. It is not by chance that the 1player guild is the second largest guild on bgg with over 7000 members and counting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Glenn

Wyoming
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play all kinds of player counts frequently, between 1-8. One player is solo games but more so play testing games so I can teach them to other people to play with. Most commonly I play two player as me and my SO play a lot of games together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.