Subject: Underground / Active status rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm struggling to find all the implications of Underground / active status.

Many cards allow the removal of enemy pieces - however I can't figure out if this does or does not include 'underground' pieces

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thompson
United Kingdom
Southsea
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
usually yes it would include underground units and bases even with units there unless the card explictly says bases last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have an example?

If the card mentions Guerillas but doesn't specify that they must be active, then underground Guerrillas are also eligible.

In general, the rule is that everything is to be read literally. If a card says "Remove all VC Pieces," that would include active and underground guerillas as well as bases.

If there are restrictions, they will be stated. Language about troops, cubes, pieces, etc. is very precise in the game and is defined in the glossary. If a card says "Remove a US piece," then Troops, Irregulars, and Bases would all be eligible. "Remove an ARVN cube" limits you to Troops and Police.

For example, "Cobras" (card 13) says "US/ARVN Sweep spaces each remove 1 Active unTunneled enemy (Troops first, Bases last)." Obviously Underground Guerillas are safe here, and the card also reminds you that the usual "Bases last" rule also applies. Without that parenthetical restriction, the card would allow you to remove bases first.

However, it is sometimes good to check in on the event notes in the Playbook to be sure. For example, "Tribesmen" (card 29) says "Remove any 4 insurgent pieces total from spaces with Irregulars." You could take away 4 bases even if they were situated with a dozen guerillas. Note, though, that the Playbook (page 31) points out that only unTunneled bases are eligible, not Tunneled ones. (This fits with the logic of the game where a Tunnel marker must always be removed before the base token can be touched, and a Tunnel marker is not itself a "piece.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulWRoberts wrote:
Note, though, that the Playbook (page 31) points out that only unTunneled bases are eligible, not Tunneled ones.

It's a reference to Rule 5.1.1, but it's good to have reminders (at least for me, because sometimes I forget it )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.