Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Survive: Escape from Atlantis!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Swimmer/Isle Questions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1 Sea space movement for a Swimmer is part of the 3 "regular" moves. So if you move a swimmer from a sea space onto a safe island you would have two movement points left. A single Swimmer is limited to one sea space per turn, where a Land meeple can is not restricted to one space and can move up to three spaces. The three movement points per turn can be split up any way you would like to use them.

Can 3 different Swimmers each move 1 sea space on the same turn and not violate the rule? Yes, but this would use all your movement actions for the turn.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
krypto1 wrote:
So what is the shortest amount of moves/turns if your meeple is on a boat and you want him to get to safe shore but there is a whale in each of the two adjacent hexes between you and shore?

Can entering the hex with the whale while losing your boat and becoming a swimmer and climbing to shore be done in 1 turn?


Ya, that's only two moves...so it could be done in one turn.

And you'd still have one move left.

Wronnnnnnnng. See below.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems that the situation is governed by the FAQ below. So if you move the boat into a space with a whale during your turn that boat meeple becomes a swimmer and cannot move any further that turn. On you next turn you can move onto the safe island.

According to the Official Survive FAQ Survive FAQ v1.0 (.doc format)

Q-3: Can a Person jumping from a boat into the same sea hex then swim 1 hex away on the same turn?
A-3: No, they cannot. A person only gets one swim action, and jumping into the water counts as a swim.

Edit: From the 30th Anniversary Edition Rules, Page 4
Explorers on Sea (Swimmers)
• Explorer tokens become Swimmers when they move into a sea space from an adjacent Terrain tile, when they jump from a Ship into the sea space on which that ship is, when they fall into a sea space when a Terrain tile is removed, or when a Whale capsizes their Ship and makes them fall into the sea space it occupied.
• You can move a Swimmer only one sea space on your turn. When a Swimmer goes from a Terrain tile or Ship into a sea space, it’s considered to be a movement of one sea space.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ol_bubba wrote:
Seems that the situation is governed by the FAQ below. So if you move the boat into a space with a whale during your turn that boat meeple becomes a swimmer and cannot move any further that turn. On you next turn you can move onto the safe island.

According to the Official Survive FAQ Survive FAQ v1.0 (.doc format)

Q-3: Can a Person jumping from a boat into the same sea hex then swim 1 hex away on the same turn?
A-3: No, they cannot. A person only gets one swim action, and jumping into the water counts as a swim.


Ah, interesting. Does a whale smashing your boat and causing you to fall into the water count as "jumping into the sea"?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:
ol_bubba wrote:
Seems that the situation is governed by the FAQ below. So if you move the boat into a space with a whale during your turn that boat meeple becomes a swimmer and cannot move any further that turn. On you next turn you can move onto the safe island.

According to the Official Survive FAQ Survive FAQ v1.0 (.doc format)

Q-3: Can a Person jumping from a boat into the same sea hex then swim 1 hex away on the same turn?
A-3: No, they cannot. A person only gets one swim action, and jumping into the water counts as a swim.


Ah, interesting. Does a whale smashing your boat and causing you to fall into the water count as "jumping into the sea"?

As noted above if you cause the whale to smash the boat during your turn by moving the boat into the whale the boat meeple(s) becomes a swimmer and ends it movement.

If another player smashes a whale into your boat it happens on their turn and that is when the boat meeple becomes a swimmer. On your next turn you can move the swimmer normally at one sea space per turn.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
krypto1 wrote:
The question then becomes, does climbing onto an safe isle as a swimmer from an adjacent hex constitute a 'swimming' movement?

This is part of the reason I asked the question in the first place...

Yes it is a swimming movement which counts as one of your three movements for the turn.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
krypto1 wrote:
Yes, but I'm not sure that 'swimming away' is the same as 'climbing out' onto an isle, and therefore may possibly not be counted/considered a 'sea space' movement... Swimming away might mean to another sea space/hex.

From the 30th Anniversary Edition Rules, Page 4
Explorers on Sea (Swimmers)
• Explorer tokens become Swimmers when they move into a sea space from an adjacent Terrain tile, when they jump from a Ship into the sea space on which that ship is, when they fall into a sea space when a Terrain tile is removed, or when a Whale capsizes their Ship and makes them fall into the sea space it occupied.
• You can move a Swimmer only one sea space on your turn. When a Swimmer goes from a Terrain tile or Ship into a sea space, it’s considered to be a movement of one sea space.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ol_bubba wrote:
Brodie17 wrote:
ol_bubba wrote:
Seems that the situation is governed by the FAQ below. So if you move the boat into a space with a whale during your turn that boat meeple becomes a swimmer and cannot move any further that turn. On you next turn you can move onto the safe island.

According to the Official Survive FAQ Survive FAQ v1.0 (.doc format)

Q-3: Can a Person jumping from a boat into the same sea hex then swim 1 hex away on the same turn?
A-3: No, they cannot. A person only gets one swim action, and jumping into the water counts as a swim.


Ah, interesting. Does a whale smashing your boat and causing you to fall into the water count as "jumping into the sea"?

As noted above if you cause the whale to smash the boat during your turn by moving the boat into the whale the boat meeple(s) becomes a swimmer and ends it movement.

If another player smashes a whale into your boat it happens on their turn and that is when the boat meeple becomes a swimmer. On your next turn you can move the swimmer normally at one sea space per turn.


Ah, I skipped right over that part

Thanks...all this talk makes me want to get this back to the table (it's been a while, in case you couldn't tell )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
krypto1 wrote:
Sounds good so far but if, like you said, another boater causes my meeple to fall into the water and I move it closer to shore on my turn, can I climb out onto the isle on the same turn or is that considered another swim action?

Climbing out of sea onto the island and moving from one sea space to another is consider to be a "sea" movement. Rule of thumb is when you begin your turn in a sea space your are governed by the sea movement restriction.

If you are two (or more) spaces away from the island and eventually move next to the island you have to wait until your next turn to "climb out".

If you are next to the safe island when another player causes you to become a swimmer, then on your next turn you can move onto the island with one movement point.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
This is probably just saying what has already been said, but the way I've clarified it for myself and others (and I think is actually true) is: if a movement involves a meeple being in the water at all (starting and/or ending in water), it is a sea movement and subject to the one movement per turn rule.

In the case of the OP, the previous explanation covers it: the meeple hits the water as part of the one movement that included the boat hitting the whale and getting smashed. So that is that one meeple's sea movement for this turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.