Bryan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I was thinking about something, that actually struck me as quite amazing.

The fact that I have as many board games as I do is astounding considering that I haven't spent a dime of any money that I've made in my adult life on any of it (unless you count the few that my wife has given me on special occasions as presents). You see, me and my wife are savers. We don't spend a lot of money, and we are able to have a nice life because of it. So how was I able to get thousands of dollars worth of board games? I have my childhood self to thank for that.

You see, I had a pretty good lunch money scam that I ran on my parents. If lunch was 2 dollars a day, I told them that it wasn't enough, I wanted to get extras, so I'd get 3-4 dollars a day. Each day I would pocket a dollar or two. I would use this money to buy pokemon and magic the gathering cards. I'd sometimes sell cards to other kids, trade up, buy for cheap and sell for more, I had an empire going. After awhile the interest died off, and I had an extensive mtg collection that sat and collected dust. Years and years later, I got into modern board gaming. I had actually checked out the local MTG scene, but I decided that I would rather play a variety of games.

I wanted ALL of the games, but there was no way I would be able to get my wife to let me spend money on it. My magic cards, however, were my childhood memories, and by parting with those, I could buy whatever I wanted. I now realized the value of cards that I had acquired as a child. My wife was ok with that money going towards games, since I was parting with something that was already mine.

Today it fully hit me, that as a child, I literally used some extra lunch money to make investments that payed off for thousands of dollars, and benefited me as an adult. That money is just about gone, but I'll have quite a collection by the end of it. Now I'll have to resort to trading games I already own but don't like much if I don't want to wait for christmas or my birthday cry. I thought someone else might find it amusing how much of an entrepreneur little me was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iridium192 wrote:

The fact that I have as many board games as I do is astounding considering that I haven't spent a dime of any money that I've made in my adult life on any of it (unless you count the few that my wife has given me on special occasions as presents). You see, me and my wife are savers. We don't spend a lot of money, and we are able to have a nice life because of it. So how was I able to get thousands of dollars worth of board games? I have my childhood self to thank for that.

You see, I had a pretty good lunch money scam that I ran on my parents. If lunch was 2 dollars a day, I told them that it wasn't enough, I wanted to get extras, so I'd get 3-4 dollars a day. Each day I would pocket a dollar or two. I would use this money to buy pokemon and magic the gathering cards. I'd sometimes sell cards to other kids, trade up, buy for cheap and sell for more, I had an empire going. After awhile the interest died off, and I had an extensive mtg collection that sat and collected dust. Years and years later, I got into modern board gaming. I had actually checked out the local MTG scene, but I decided that I would rather play a variety of games.

I wanted ALL of the games, but there was no way I would be able to get my wife to let me spend money on it. My magic cards, however, were my childhood memories, and by parting with those, I could buy whatever I wanted. I now realized the value of cards that I had acquired as a child. My wife was ok with that money going towards games, since I was parting with something that was already mine.

Today it fully hit me, that as a child, I literally used some extra lunch money to make investments that payed off for thousands of dollars, and benefited me as an adult. That money is just about gone, but I'll have quite a collection by the end of it. Now I'll have to resort to trading games I already own but don't like much if I don't want to wait for christmas or my birthday cry. I thought someone else might find it amusing how much of an entrepreneur little me was.

So you're celebrating the fact that you were able to lie to and cheat your parents successfully for years. Yay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikey. Can't imagine lying outright to my folks for extra money personally, but I suppose I didn't always spend my lunch money/bus fare on what it was given to me for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Harris
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This made me laugh. I'm not sure I'd categorize you as an entrepreneur either. Maybe closer to some sort of scam artist? But hey man, if the entrepreneur label helps you sleep better at night.... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
Iridium192 wrote:

So you're celebrating the fact that you were able to lie to and cheat your parents successfully for years. Yay?
He could have grown up to be Elon Musk with that skill set!

Pete (sees missed opportunities)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Adams
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always start at the bottom again - "Honey, I need $2 more to get some extras at lunch!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
He was totally truthful, the extras he wanted just wasn't food...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
Savviness would require that you did it on purpose, using your investment skills intentionally. You just scammed your parents and the stuff you bought because you wanted to play with it just happened to go up in value incidentally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
Iridium192 wrote:

Ha! I didn't even think of this kind of point of view. Quite honestly, my parents are horrible people, and my upbringing was under quite some horrible circumstances, so my thought process doesn't really account for them in any way. I figured people would just think it's funny to see how something you do as a child can roll over to have such an impactful effect on your future. I now see the imminent derailing of the thread coming haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jensen
United States
Fredericksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
madslaust wrote:

I'll just go back to my corner now and stop trying to make amusing posts. I'm obviously outside of my skill set here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Enter something witty here
badge
These aren't really my legs
mbmbmbmbmb
jfadams wrote:
You could always start at the bottom again - "Honey, I need $2 more to get some extras at lunch!"

OP clearly needs to set up a 2nd, personal bank account that his wife is not on. Then set up company direct deposit to route $50 per paycheck into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iridium192 wrote:
I'll just go back to my corner now and stop trying to make amusing posts. I'm obviously outside of my skill set here.

Based on the tone, I'm assuming that a lot of responders here don't have children.

The entire goal of children seems to be to foil the well-laid plans of their parents, with no ill intent. I think it's funny, and also a decent story of how "childhood antics" actually amounted to something later in life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Brownsmith
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Akado wrote:
The entire goal of children seems to be to foil the well-laid plans of their parents, with no ill intent. I think it's funny, and also a decent story of how "childhood antics" actually amounted to something later in life.

Hunh. Children = cats.

shake

Of course, it all makes sense now!

I'm blinded by the light of logic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Harris
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haha. Don't take it too hard Bryan. I think we're all just having a little fun at the expense of your early age sneakiness ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Iridium192 wrote:

Well, I thought it was pretty funny.

As a parent myself now, I also strongly suspect that yours knew what you were up to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
redeux wrote:
jfadams wrote:

OP clearly needs to set up a 2nd, personal bank account that his wife is not on. Then set up company direct deposit to route $50 per paycheck into it.

What a preposterous idea! (starts filling out the paperwork)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bryan, as the parent of two children who are now grown, I delight in tales of other people's children taking them for a ride. My son would use his lunch money to buy candy on the way to school, then sell it at a premium once he got to school. He used those earnings to play poker, and made a killing at that. We finally caught on and quit giving him money, but by then he had such a successful enterprise that he didn't care if he got the pittance we were handing him.

I'm just glad I wasn't the only parent who got swindled by a clever kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Iridium192 wrote:
considering that I haven't spent a dime of any money that I've made in my adult life on any of it (unless you count the few that my wife has given me on special occasions as presents).

Wut?

Iridium192 wrote:

You see, me and my wife are savers. We don't spend a lot of money, and we are able to have a nice life because of it.

That seems like a bit of an oxymoron.

Iridium192 wrote:

You see, I had a pretty good lunch money scam that I ran on my parents. If lunch was 2 dollars a day, I told them that it wasn't enough, I wanted to get extras, so I'd get 3-4 dollars a day.

I have a great idea! I'll tell you at the end.

Iridium192 wrote:

there was no way I would be able to get my wife to let me spend money on it.

SUPER WUT?

Iridium192 wrote:

My wife was ok with that money going towards games, since I was parting with something that was already mine.

That's mighty nice of her!

Iridium192 wrote:

I thought someone else might find it amusing how much of an entrepreneur little me was.

What I find most interesting is that you seem to have lost your entrepreneurial abilities.

So here's my idea.

Why not tell your wife that whatever you spend on lunch isn't enough. Or if she makes you brown-bag it, tell her you decided you really need one more coffee to get through the day. Then take that money and save it for board games! Ingenious!

Edit: The idea was already had. But still, that's TWO people who think its a good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:
As a parent myself now, I also strongly suspect that yours knew what you were up to.
This.

Signed, mom of two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather McFeely
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
Talmanes wrote:
Iridium192 wrote:

Well, I thought it was pretty funny.

That's just what I thought! It's possible they had no idea where the cards came from, but they had to notice a big collection like that.

If only my childhood self hadn't blown my extra bucks on stickers and R.L. Stine books, I could be rolling in games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
BGG....Serious Business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akado wrote:
Iridium192 wrote:

Based on the tone, I'm assuming that a lot of responders here don't have children.

Exactly. Being a parent I would totally pretend not to know of the scam. I would only confront the little scammer if she (mine is a daughter) started to complain about the size of her allowance. Because we would both know that her "net allowance" was higher than the official amount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.