Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Stewart
United States
Universal City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In quest 8, The Evil Temple, it seems that the intent is for torches and dragon bile to be available only from the vault and not via standard Search actions, per p. 47:
Quote:
(Story) Dragon Bile is scarce, and our supplies gone. But, there are vaults here.
and
Quote:
(Setup steps) Put aside the Dragon Bile and Torch cards. Set one Dragon Bile card and one Torch card in the yellow Vault.

It seems clear that the bile and torch are only supposed to be available from the vault. What happens, then, if a survivor grabs these things from the vault, but then gets killed before being able to use them? Normally, discarded equipment goes back to the equipment deck to be reshuffled when the deck runs out, per "Search" on p. 19:
Quote:
When the Equipment deck runs out, reshuffle all the discarded Equipment cards (with the exception of Vault cards like Inferno and Orcish Crossbow, but including starting Equipment cards) to make a new deck.

However, that would make it possible to find them via future Search actions, which seems contrary to the intent of the quest. It seems like we should treat dragon bile and torches as "vault cards" that don't go into the equipment discard when lost. Instead, we'd treat them as if they have the "Vault" keyword for the purposes of this quest, per "Vault Artifacts" on p. 37:
Quote:
"Powerful weapons and spells are set aside during Setup (see page 6) to be found in Vaults. These are called Vault artifacts, and bear the keyword “Vault” on their card.

That leaves one question remaining: since the setup says to put exactly one bile and torch in the vault, do you just get one shot at this, or if the first attempt fails, could another survivor return to the vault to pick up more?

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I was going to say that if one person dies than you lose, but it appears this specific quest doesn't say all survivors must survive.

So, my personal thought would be that the equipment would go into the deck to be reshuffled. Basically going with the theme that it's super hard to find and that would make it harder.

Although I like the idea of sending another survivor to get more from the vault. I think that could be thematic too. I would want to avoid, the survivors basically camping in the vault while one guy makes a suicide run to kill the abomb.

I say, play however brings you the most joy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since they're treated as special items I would probably play that they drop in the zone where the survivor died and could then be picked up by another survivor. You just have to wing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
Since they're treated as special items I would probably play that they drop in the zone where the survivor died and could then be picked up by another survivor. You just have to wing it.

I agree. If you got the first person killed on that spot, then trying to retrieve the dropped items should be difficult enough to give a satisfying end to the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.