Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
3 perfect 10 ratings on a game that hasn't been released.

???

Seems like we should get 3 volunteers to rate it a 1 to balance it out.

Grumpy morning, this post didn't need to exist.

There are all sorts of legit reasons people would have to rate a game pre-release to the public.

As you were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
3 perfect 10 ratings on a game that hasn't been released.

???

Seems like we should get 3 volunteers to rate it a 1 to balance it out.

I don't have any inside info but perhaps they were playtesters, perhaps they have played the game at a convention, perhaps they were in on the development. There are ways folks can play a game before it is released.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
This is making me start to think... that ratings on the internet are dumb.

no...

No, it can't be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this topic comes up often but people need to also understand the BGG rating scale is desire to play more than anything. I can't, well okay am too lazy to, quote from a smart phone but a 10 is always want to play and don't expect it to change.

Now to get on a soap box here, arbitrary numbers are meaningless, the comments are what I read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunder wrote:
I don't have any inside info but perhaps they were playtesters, perhaps they have played the game at a convention, perhaps they were in on the development. There are ways folks can play a game before it is released.
...and sometimes you don't even have to play it:
The D&D adventure system board games more or less all use the same rules, so if you've played any of the previous entries, you'll have a pretty good idea what to expect.
E.g. my ratings of the previous four games are only a half point apart.

And if you've seen the previews and maybe read an article or two about it, you'll also know about most of what they've changed.

Imho, there's also nothing wrong with adjusting you rating a bit after you've actually played it.

But in general, I share the OPs dislike for the 'wishful-thinking' advance ratings that are all too common, especially for kickstarter games (and the inevitable '1' ratings to 'balance' the over-excited backers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.