8 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Some thoughts about how they could add imperial heroes. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Seeing how there are also scum heroes, it could be nice to go a bit further with that and have some imperial heroes as well, which could double as unique villains in other campaigns.

These characters would be of questionable loyalty, and could be double agents, traitors or an expensive professional mercenary.

In a campaign where they are used as villains, they would be loyal to the empire and when used as heroes, they defected or revealed their true loyalty to the rebellion.

Some ideas for heroes:

-Imperial officer.
This one could be the double agent who infiltrated the empire. His abilities would mainly focus on disrupting imperial orders, especially against imperial troopers. Some of his abilities would have no effect on scum though, which would promote their use for the imperial player.

As a villain he could function like a more powerful version of the imperial officer, boosting fellow imperials and being able to dish out some descent damage as well.

-Dark Jedi.
She could be the expensive mercenary, a former padawan of a jedi who initially survived the purge but was later killed and she took to a darker path without his guidance.
Seeing how in this game's story there suddenly are more young capable Jedi around in the shape of Diala and Daveth, she could be a recent addition to the Imperial side in order to deal with that threat since Vader can't be everywhere at once.
Her abilities could focus a lot on offense, she could be an aggressive damage dealer who can close the distance quickly, has good survivability but nothing to aid her allies with. Possibly she could even have an ability to drain life from an ally to restore some of her own health!

When with the republic, it could be presumed she moved back to more of a grey path.

As a villain, she'd still be an aggressive damage dealer. Compared to Vader she would be less tough but would move faster. She'd deal less damage but could have some interesting abilities like that drain health that she could use on both allies and enemies to recover her own.
And maybe an interrupt ability that let's her attack an enemy that is in an adjacent square and moves away from her. She could use it once per round.

-Imperial commando.
He could be pretty tough and have a small range of covert abilities and some descent damage dealing. Kind of a jack of all trades but master of none.

As a villain he could be kind of a buffed up ISB Infiltrator.

The agenda cards linked to them could be unavailable if any of them are used by the rebel players.

Each agenda card could be a mission to gain one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Dube
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually a really cool idea. I like it! Would make for some interesting skrimish figures too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Henry
United Kingdom
Wellington
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I'm only halfway through the novel, but Inferno Squad has some interesting ideas: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battlefront_II:_Inferno_Squad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
There's really two ways that they could do an Imperial campaign. Typically, I think people general think an Imperial campaign would feature Imperial figures who fight Mercs and Rebels.

I like your idea better, though, assuming I understood correctly. Using sort of "black sheep" of the Empire, we could have a campaign where the heroes are still Rebels, but of Imperial affiliation in Skirmish (not unlike the Merc heroes in Jabba's Realm).

Otherwise, you'd run into a lot of issues- for instance, how would Imperials work when put into side missions? How would you mix the Imperial heroes with Rebel heroes?

So yeah, I totally like what you've done here. The additional ability of using them as villains when they're not in use is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, I thought about those problems too and this seemed like the best solution.

It should allow for some interesting villains that are not canon but unique to the story, and as heroes it would allow for some abilities that would only make sense for imperials or dark side users.

Might also be nice to see some female villains for the empire, to mix things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Absolutely, the Empire needs some female villains bad. (Do we know Terro or Somos are necessarily dudes?)

Speaking of Terro and Somos, I did like the non-canon villains, but I think this might be a strong solution for replacing them. Here's the thing- they're cool, but don't have the draw of canon characters. But, as heroes, they'd be part of an expansion, so it's perfect!

Perhaps they could all get relatively balanced with each other villain cards (something like, all at 9 threat). Then, add in one or two existing Heroes for a similar villain deployment card- perhaps someone like Shyla or Biv, also balanced at 9 pts. Then you actually randomly draw the villain from the stack of Imperial villain/hero cards not in play. That way, even if you have all 3 Imperial heroes in a campaign, you could still get an actual villain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
They seem to do a good job with the non-canon villains, units and heroes.

Have to agree about Terro and Somos lacking personality though. I don't have either yet but they look great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Rhalius wrote:
They seem to do a good job with the non-canon villains, units and heroes.

Have to agree about Terro and Somos lacking personality though. I don't have either yet but they look great.

Absolutely. I actually really enjoy the non-canon villains, they're a ton of fun. Weiss and Sorin are basically the Tarkin and Krennic of my current campaign, and my players are having a blast with it.

But if a new player walked into their FLGS and saw unit packs, no doubt they're grabbing Chewie and Boba long before Somos gets purchased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.