Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
During the "final round" when the die is on the 6 side, the rule book says that players without flowerbeds only do the gardener phase on their turn. The gardener phase is simply moving the die, correct? Does this mean that the center board / nursery does NOT fill automatically on a player's turn if they don't have any flowerbeds?

I didn't think about it, but my opponent used the fact that the board refills on our turns, even though we're not doing anything, to plan to get a piece far away from what he probably should have, by us filling rows in the nursery, essentially killing those pieces to get him to the one(s) he wanted during the final phase. Even with the losing 2 points per turn, he was able to pull out a win by getting a cube to 20 and funky placement / re-earning of kittens by passing the red line multiple times.

Are we playing this right?

Edit: here's the sentence from the rulebook:
Quote:
Whenever you complete a Flowerbed, remove it from the game. You do not receive any new Flowerbeds.
Once you have no Flowerbeds left at the start of your turn, you do not lose any more points. On your turn,
you only perform the Gardener Phase.

With the gardener phase being described earlier in the book as phase 4 where you simply move the die and increment it if necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe dagostino
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The gardener phase is simply moving the die, correct?
I believe so. That is how I read the rules.

Quote:
Does this mean that the center board / nursery does NOT fill automatically on a player's turn if they don't have any flowerbeds?
Yes. Refill happens during the first phase, the Refilling Phase, not the Gardener Phase.

Quote:
I didn't think about it, but my opponent used the fact that the board refills on our turns, even though we're not doing anything, to plan to get a piece far away from what he probably should have, by us filling rows in the nursery, essentially killing those pieces to get him to the one(s) he wanted during the final phase. Even with the losing 2 points per turn, he was able to pull out a win by getting a cube to 20 and funky placement / re-earning of kittens by passing the red line multiple times.

Are we playing this right?
I think not.

I enjoy this game, don't you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
joeydag2011 wrote:

I enjoy this game, don't you?

I was super excited for it to finally come out here, but I'm having a hard time getting my head around it. 2.5 games in so far and the closest game was like 5 points, with me losing all of them. =/

I'm enjoying it still though, just gotta figure out how to do better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Mortensen
Ireland
Navan
Meath
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state;
"Whenever you move an orange or blue cube across the red line (with the mice) on your Planting Table, you receive a Cat from the General Supply and place it in your reserve. You may use it immediately if you choose too."

Taking the rules word for word, you can get cats with cubes going either way across the line, which in certain circumstances could net you quite a few cats. However, remember that you cannot have more than 2 cats in your reserve; if you have more then they must be used immediately.

As Scott Yavorski (Cliffy) commented after me, I missed a rule on the cat tokens (located in different section of the rulebook), so thank you for pointing that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
wavewynder wrote:
The rules state;
"Whenever you move an orange or blue cube across the red line (with the mice) on your Planting Table, you receive a Cat from the General Supply and place it in your reserve. You may use it immediately if you choose too."

Taking the rules word for word, you can get cats with cubes going either way across the line, which in certain circumstances could net you quite a few cats. However, remember that you cannot have more than 2 cats in your reserve; if you have more then they must be used immediately.

Nope. Pretty much in the immediate vicinity of what I quoted earlier it states that you don't get a cat for going backwards across the line, but if you have to go back and then cross it again going forward, you do get another cat for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.