Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
Man do I feel dumb, as a Canadian I feel for the oldest trick in the book. If a deal is to good to be true then it most likely is. It seems that Amazon is falling victim to Chinese counterfeiters with their fly by night store fronts. Swooping in with games at unbelievable prices, duping collectors who are looking for deals into thinking these are legit and then receiving a manufactured sub par game.

The issue with me was that in Canada the normal game market is hyper inflated for a couple of reasons first the Canadian dollar against the US dollar is lower therefore driving up our price in the exchange, and then shipping, first the parent copy ships to a US distributor the ships to the Canadian Distributor adding cost to the game. Also in some cases I am guessing that if the Canadian Distributor is not related to the US distributor both add there percentage further driving up the game.

Therefore when I saw a deal I jumped on it, figuring it is Amazon, they will must screen third partly store fronts. I did not clue in until I posted on the "Hot Deals" board and was promptly told it was not the case. I cancelled my order, yet the storefront lackey went ahead and shipped anyway. I figure once I get the items I will just complain to Amazon and get my money. Lesson Learned, but buyer beware always.

Its a pity we so really see the great deals in Canada that we see in the US.

From the North
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I blame the "I know it is too good to be true, but I'll do it anyway" attitude. That's the reason these guys exist in the first place. If people would stop doing things they know are a bad idea, it'd stop being profitable for scammers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
I blame the "I know it is too good to be true, but I'll do it anyway" attitude.

I dunno, when is something knowably too good to be true? What's the cutoff point for "too good"? I've seen things I wanted for 80% or more off; sometimes it really is just a good deal.

I mean, caveat emptor and all, but let's not try to make people complicit in their own victimhood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about you're issue.

That's a main reason why when on amazon I buy from amazon, amazon warehouse, or "fulfilled" by Amazon at the very least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

I dunno, when is something knowably too good to be true? What's the cutoff point for "too good"? I've seen things I wanted for 80% or more off; sometimes it really is just a good deal.

I mean, caveat emptor and all, but let's not try to make people complicit in their own victimhood.

There's a reputable store selling things at 80% off, and then there's random person on the internet selling things at 80% off. It is very easy to tell the difference if you think about it for more than thirty seconds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone is selling something from China, account has no feedback, is a newer account and is selling something at such a low price it hardly makes sense, its a scam. Every. Single. Time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

When he is thinking he's going to get a pile of games that currently sell for $150+ in total for around $30 shipped, it's definitely "knowably" too good to be true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
That's a main reason why when on amazon I buy from amazon, amazon warehouse, or "fulfilled" by Amazon at the very least.

You still need to be careful with "fulfilled by." Amazon doesn't always (ever?) make sure what they're stocking in their warehouse for someone is legit. Lots of counterfeit/bootleg music/movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
jurney85 wrote:
If someone is selling something from China, account has no feedback, is a newer account and is selling something at such a low price it hardly makes sense, its a scam. Every. Single. Time.

Yes I learned my Lesson, The fact that even after I canceled the games they were shipped would have been a clue. Once received I will let Amazon know that they are counterfeit, then I will most likely put some pictures up to help warn others.

Glad that at least Amazon protects us from those who would do us Ill.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Barringer
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
yenkin2001 wrote:
jurney85 wrote:

Yes I learned my Lesson, The fact that even after I canceled the games they were shipped would have been a clue. Once received I will let Amazon know that they are counterfeit, then I will most likely put some pictures up to help warn others.

Cheers

I doubt you'll receive anything. You got a bogus tracking number, I'd bet. These are usually scam artists, not counterfeiters. I, too, purchased from one of these stores when they first started popping up. Not fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well if it is a bogus tracking number we shall see it is suppose to be here in about 2 - 3 weeks. After that if it is a no show will get Amazon to initiate a refund.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Consider also merch that's not counterfeit, just stolen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Squire
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
IF YOU DON'T SEE THE FNORD IT CAN'T EAT YOU, DON'T SEE THE FNORD, DON'T SEE THE FNORD . . .
badge
‘I could tell you my adventures–beginning from this morning,’ said Alice a little timidly: ‘but it’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.’
mbmbmbmbmb
ErsatzDragon wrote:
Consider also merch that's not counterfeit, just stolen.

Which occasionally has happened on very large scales...
http://slugfestgames.com/so-what-happened-to-the-rdi-1-and-3...
(5 years ago but still relevant to the discussion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
yenkin2001 wrote:
jurney85 wrote:

Cheers

You may never receive anything. Part of the scam was for the seller to give a very far-in-the-future estimated delivery date, then provide fake shipping/tracking info. The buyer waits many weeks, never receives anything, and the scammer hopes that Amazon has paid them before the buyer complains about not receiving the order. So it may not be "counterfeiting" at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
jyeackle wrote:
typo360 wrote:

You still need to be careful with "fulfilled by." Amazon doesn't always (ever?) make sure what they're stocking in their warehouse for someone is legit. Lots of counterfeit/bootleg music/movies.

I read somewhere once that Amazon used to keep its own inventory of an item separate from the 3rd party "fulfilled by Amazon" inventory, so if a 3rd party was supplying fakes you'd still be safe ordering if you made sure it was sold by Amazon itself...

...until Amazon then changed that and combined its own inventory with the 3rd party seller inventories of the same item, so even if you chose "shipped and sold by Amazon" the actual item might have originally come from a 3rd party seller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
I checked the tracking number outside of Amazon. it was fake, china post said it was invalid, and putting it through a tracking number validator it was invalid. Sent a request for a full refund to the vendor and sent the information to the performance team.

Now I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
typo360 wrote:

True but I feel like you still have better luck with actually receiving an item and returning it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wheeler
United States
North Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
motoyugota wrote:
kobold47 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

When he is thinking he's going to get a pile of games that currently sell for $150+ in total for around $30 shipped, it's definitely "knowably" too good to be true.

You must have missed the latest Amazon Prime Day boardgame deals... or the Target coupon stacking deals from a year or two ago... Or the Hastings clearance sale... or when Toys'R'Us was pricing random games at 1 cent...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpiderCircus wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
kobold47 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

You must have missed the latest Amazon Prime Day boardgame deals... or the Target coupon stacking deals from a year or two ago... Or the Hastings clearance sale... or when Toys'R'Us was pricing random games at 1 cent...

See from the threads above - the difference is those are all REPUTABLE stores and not a new storefront with no feedback on Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
mbmbmbmbmb
yenkin2001 wrote:
Now I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wheeler
United States
North Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
sag0016 wrote:
SpiderCircus wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
kobold47 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

See from the threads above - the difference is those are all REPUTABLE stores and not a new storefront with no feedback on Amazon.

Which is why I responded to this specific comment. The one before that about reputable sellers vs new random accounts selling games at %80 off I totally agree with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
As a developer I suspect that if amazon could write algorithms to check these type of accounts. It would not be hard to search a database even if it has 100's of millions of rows looking for these types of vendors. Also Amazon could do more in admitting the issue upfront and making folks more aware of this potential. Would it stop every one of them no but at least it could cut down perhaps.

But if this post helps just one person then we has a collective group discussion this issue have done a service the gaming community.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yenkin2001 wrote:
jurney85 wrote:

Cheers
Why not do it now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

I dunno, when is something knowably too good to be true? What's the cutoff point for "too good"?
Whenever you think it is. The OP's second sentence conceded he knew the deal was too good to be true. All I'm saying is that if you get to the point where you think "this can't possibly be for real" don't jump to "I'll try it and see". You already know it isn't, you're just being greedy at that point and making it worthwhile to be a scammer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ford
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yenkin2001 wrote:
Therefore when I saw a deal I jumped on it, figuring it is Amazon, they will must screen third partly store fronts."

What was the "hot deal"? (Was your previous thread deleted?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.