6 Posts

Zulus on the Ramparts!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can Zulus inside the compound retreat onto other paths? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Starling Dear
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hello. I just had a situation I cannot find relevant rules to know how to resolve.

The situation: The two iBhutos from the north have both entered the compound. The one from Left horn is on -1, and the one from Loins is on upper 0. I volley at the one on -1, and it is forced to retreat one space.

The question: if lower 0 is not occupied, does it retreat here? Or does it push back the iBhuto on upper 0 down the path and retreat here?

I initially went with moving it to lower 0. It seemed most logical, that it could retreat to a free space behind it. But then the question arises - which advance markers makes it move? It originally came from Left Horn, but is now on a path, only Chest and Right Horn can move into. Does the iBhuto itself tie it to Left Horn advancement only, even though its in another path? Or does it convert to one of the southern paths? What if there already is iBhutos in both Right Horn and Chest, outside the compund? Should it then share advancement and retreat path with another iBhuto?

I ended up abandoning the game because I couldnt resolve the situation. Not very satisfiing. I hope some one can point out relevant rules to resolve a situation like this, so I dont have to do that again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, if the iButhos are forced to retreat, they must retreat onto their original paths.

Rule 6.7.4 directly addresses this, 2nd Bullet point of the most current rule set:
"The targeted iButho is retreated one space (back to the next highest numbered box on its path)"

The key word there is "its" meaning the targeted iButho must return to the original track it was on.

And, in your situation, pay attention as well to 2 paragraphs later which states:
"If that box being retreated into is an interior box (i.e. a #0 box) that is currently occupied by another iButho, because of the Stacking Limits (5.1.2) displace the iButho already occupying the box by retreating it one box to clear a path. Then retreat the targeted iButho"

Bad day for the Zulus, good day for you!

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starling Dear
Denmark
flag msg tools
Ah yes. You are right. Three little letters singing sweet songs of melodies pure and true.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tpholt wrote:
And, in your situation, pay attention as well to 2 paragraphs later which states:
"If that box being retreated into is an interior box (i.e. a #0 box) that is currently occupied by another iButho, because of the Stacking Limits (5.1.2) displace the iButho already occupying the box by retreating it one box to clear a path. Then retreat the targeted iButho"

Bad day for the Zulus, good day for you!

Tony

If the #0 box contains two iButho and a third iButho is retreated from the #-1 box, which iButho in #0 should be displaced/retreat? My guess is the weaker one (fewer men to displace) but I can't find any reference to this situation in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one that is on the #0 Box that the current iButho in the -1 Box came from. There is only 1 path for each iButho, and they must follow it, both when advancing and retreating.

Here is a photo I put together for another thread where we talked about this that may help:

The Loins iButho must follow the orange path at all times.
The Left Horn iButho must follow the yellow path at all times.
The Chest iButho must follow the green path at all times.
The Right Horn iButho must follow the blue path at all times.

Hope that helps.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clear and sensible! Thanks Tony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.