Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
Greetings from way up here in the north, while you would not know it from the great weather we are having 28C, but after I sleeved the 381 cards away we went to our adventures in the "Verse". If you are planning to play Firefly ensure you give yourself for a first play though a 3 - 4 hour window to misbehave.

Before diving into the game, a bit on the components for the most part they are fine, I thought the card stock was good, nice thick cards, and thank goodness not some weird Euro size that would cost me 5$ a pack and have to spend a further 40$ to sleeve a 50$ game. I did have an issue with the card board cutouts, I think they could have been a slightly better quality for the Cargo type counters as a couple of them were peeling off before I even played the game.

Now I realize I can buy the shinny ones but at 22$ for a single ship, I would have to invest another 90$ to have enough for 4 players. Not going to happen. Heck I got scotch tape and know how to use it. But I should not have too. The miniatures are OK, but again would like to see something that did not look like it came from a Kinder Surprise Egg or for the US a Kracker Jack Box.

With that being said what about the game. Without the theme I would say that this game would be pretty vanilla. If you are a fan of Firefly you will find the theme of the game helps imagine yourself working in the verse, buy hiring a crew, moving cargo or goods, both legal or illegal. The game itself is pretty simple mechanics.

You can take two different actions each turn, you can move, deal, do a job or buy. Jobs and Buying come from cards, there is a look at 3 buy up to two mechanic, the discard is fair game, you can consider looking at one from the discard and pulling two from the deck. Once complete put those two cards in the discard, next player who deals with that planet has more to look at.

Same with jobs same mechanics. Jobs typically range from pick up x and deliver to Y or in some cases fly to x system misbehave. Along the way if you use your core engines which consume fuel, you may encounter a Reaver or an Alliance Ship, typically if you are not doing anything illegal an alliance ship will hold you up, but no harm done. If you have to interact with the Reaver it typically is not good.

The game really is easy to play, and you will find yourself flying around from one side of the board to another, with little to know interaction with other ships. On occasion you can mess with the other guy in limited ways but all and all, it is a race to get through the story that was selected at the beginning of the game. The game comes with six stories which can be expanded by buy expansions in which there are a few now. You as the pilot and your crew have various skill sets that can be leverage during play, which can limit the jobs you take or help, also can help as well, if a NPC gets killed and you have a medic it is possible you can save him.

In my opinion this game would have little to know replay value without some of the expansions. While I am new to the game, I also know that the Pirates and Bounties expansion gives you a bit more PvP flavor to the game should you want to have more interaction. Through I have been told that even if you add that dimension to the game players tend to basically do what they need to do to win the game if they are intent in curbing the 3 - 4 hour play time to under 3 hours.

All and all I have to agree with Tom Vassel's assessment on the Dice Tower review that without the Firefly skin this game would more than likely sit on the shelf of your FLGS. But being a fan boy and the price is reasonable 40 - 50$ Canadian it is not a bad purchase.

From the North

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new Crime and Punishment expansion adds 40 new misbehaving cards to the deck that really breath some life into encounters. It also introduces some new speed variants and story cards that help shorten the play time. The biggest we found was that when you spend fuel to move, you roll a d6 and move that many spaces BEFORE you start drawing from the nav decks. This really helps with travel. Our game went from about 5 hours to 3 just with this.

I disagree with Tom. This is a fine pick up and delivery game with just enough adventure options to keep it interesting. There is no doubt the theme helps the game both in sales and in play, but the bones are great. I'm not a real firefly fan but i had to get my own copy once i played it. It's been the same for every non-firefly fan ive played with. We all enjoy the game on it's own merits. If your not a fan of Firefly and don't have a pick up and delivery game and are interested in one Firefly is a great option.

As for expansions, i don't know. I only have Blue Sun, and while it it nice to have, i don't feel a drastic need to have the others (Except Crime and Punishment, i'd say that $15 gem is a must buy). I will probably pick up Kalidasa at some point for larger options, but if i don't..oh well. I still have what I have and enjoy what i have.

Thanks for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am going to be getting the Pirates and Bounties maybe next week. Had some friends over and we had a blast, we played the easy beginner goal card and it literally came down to a race to buy our ships. LOL, I might have go it if the dam alliance did not board me and made me pay for my warrant. Will get the crime and punishment too, I think that travel would be wonderful considering the time it takes for a 3 - 4 player game.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.