Subject: Any restriction on Y/N questions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's probably our Codenames and other-games brains imposing rules that are not there, but is there ANY restriction on questions people can ask? E.g., can you say "Does it start with 'A'?" "Is it one word?" -- questions about the letters in the word itself rather than the meaning of the word. Going by the rules I assume yes, but just want to check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no restrictions. The Yes/No token limitation works to offset those kinds of questions (they can still be asked, but since a token must be given out for every question asked, it usually isn't very useful to ask most of those questions unless you're desperate).

And you can ask the Mayor "Are you a Werewolf?" and he must give you a token in response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm interesying question. Using binary search, determining one letter should require about 4-5 tokens (expected half half). I don't have the game in front of me so not sure how many there are).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
35 if memory serves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Ted! Love how responsive you are to rules questions on here btw -- always nice to know/confirm the designer's intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
Hmm interesying question. Using binary search, determining one letter should require about 4-5 tokens (expected half half). I don't have the game in front of me so not sure how many there are).

Yep, we played for the first time last night and this is exactly the strategy I used right off the bat. It takes about four tokens but you know the first letter which is very useful. We played a bunch of rounds in a row and in the final round the villagers narrowed a Ridiculous clue down to a politician with the initials W.M. with this strategy and shortly after figured out it was Walter Mondale (all without help since the Mayor was the Seer). Very effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I like it better if you don't allow questions about the letters of the word. Seems like the best strategy in the rules as written would be to always ask questions about how many letters are in the word, what's the first letter, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.