mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
One of my characters leaves for the night to resolve "please help us "visitor card. Do I need to feed them?

Also a book of secrets entry involving burying a body. It said someone saw us and gave or lent us a shovel to do it. Does that mean we get a shovel, or is it just flavor text?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
I just took a quick look at that card and I did not see anywhere on that card any text that would give this character that leaves the ability to ignore drinking and eating this round.

So I would say yes, they would still need to drink and eat. This character is not going away far, they are just going to help a neighbor.

For your second question, I'm not familiar with the script you are referring to, but if there is no instruction to gain a shovel, then it is just flavor text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Connolly
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the video game a character who goes off to help comes back tired and unfed, no matter what the mission.
Thematically, I have some issues with that. If you've gone to help board up your neighbor's home there is no reason why you wouldn't have grabbed some sleep since that action occurs during the day and not the night. But if you've gone to help guard their home then you wouldn't have slept. Wouldn't they have shared food (assuming they had any) with you in either case? Going off to scavenge/rob probably wouldn't result in eating or sleeping.
I guess it's simpler to simply have rest and feeding only take place in your own home, rather than a matrix of sleep and eat for all the cases where you go off to help.

But since this is the board game, maybe those ideas don't apply.

I haven't received my copy yet since I pledged more than the basic game, but I suppose a strict interpretation would be that if you don't know that your character has eaten or slept while away then he returns hungrier and more tired. Although, since you're creating the story yourself there's no reason why you can't create your own narrative based on what the character has gone to do. It's not unreasonable to imagine that the mother who asked you to help protect her daughter and her would share food with you or the family who you helped board up their home during the day would offer you a bed for the night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having read the visitor card I would say no to the feeding. The character is away from the shelter during the dusk phase so not only does not need food water but could not be fed/watered even if you wanted to (canned food to reduce hunger etc) they are simply 'out of play' for the time being.

For the script, as was stated before, the book is very explicit on what you gain from an encounter. I believe I had that scriot before and it doesn't say you gain a shovel (you give it back likely)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Having read the visitor card I would say no to the feeding. The character is away from the shelter during the dusk phase so not only does not need food water but could not be fed/watered even if you wanted to (canned food to reduce hunger etc) they are simply 'out of play' for the time being.

For the script, as was stated before, the book is very explicit on what you gain from an encounter. I believe I had that script before and it doesn't say you gain a shovel (you give it back likely)

I respect your answer Josh, but how do you account for the explicit directions in the Journal regarding eating and drinking during the Dusk phase?

The "Please Help Us" Visitor card only says that they are tired when they come back at Dawn. The card does not cover hunger at all. So, it answers the question of "Did they rest?" but it does not answer the question of "Did they eat/drink?" I still think that's up to the leader's discretion and if they don't during dusk I would think they would suffer the consequences of not doing so.

Note also that there is an advanced rule in the game that permits any character to eat food at any time outside of Combat and Script Resolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
industrialchild wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

For the script, as was stated before, the book is very explicit on what you gain from an encounter. I believe I had that script before and it doesn't say you gain a shovel (you give it back likely)

I respect your answer Josh, but how do you account for the explicit directions in the Journal regarding eating and drinking during the Dusk phase?

The "Please Help Us" Visitor card only says that they are tired when they come back at Dawn. The card does not cover hunger at all. So, it answers the question of "Did they rest?" but it does not answer the question of "Did they eat/drink?" I still think that's up to the leader's discretion and if they don't during dusk I would think they would suffer the consequences of not doing so.

Note also that there is an advanced rule in the game that permits any character to eat food at any time outside of Combat and Script Resolution.

The Dusk phase instructions are the general. The card is the specific. The character with the token is gone from the shelter until Dawn. That would leave them unaffected by all changes to the shelter until Dawn. The fact that the survivor comes back tired is specifically mentioned is showing a change that would not take place unless referenced.

Honestly I don't think it will break the game either way you play it.

Eating food at any time is an advanced rule to manage hunger at the cost of resources. You still (normally) have to eat at dusk even if you stuffed your gob at some kther time in the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it would break the game either handling it either way, but it would be nice to know for sure.

You do make a good point though. I can't make an argument against it. Your answer is logical also.

Hopefully later down the line, there will be an FAQ to clear up gray areas in the game such as this.

Worse case scenario, as stated at the beginning in the Book of Scripts, play it in a way that would be "true to life". It is logical to think that for helping work all day they would at least sustain the character with food and drink if they were able to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there is a section in the rules or scripts that specifies that people who are away still need to be fed normally.
probably in the faq section of the feeding phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
there is a section in the rules or scripts that specifies that people who are away still need to be fed normally.
probably in the faq section of the feeding phase.

I, unfortunately, could not find this section in the Journal or the FAQs in the Book of Scripts. The only thing I could find that supports this theory is in the Journal under "Dusk Phase". According to the Journal every character must eat and drink during dusk or suffer adverse effects. In my mind, a character that is away from the shelter is still a character and is not excluded from the Dusk Phase (unless something else explicitly says otherwise). This particular Visitor card does not say otherwise.

I'm going to play it where they will still need to drink/eat during Dusk or suffer the consequences. That's the most "true to life" way I can think of. The way I figure it, the neighbors are probably worse off than the people in your shelter. Otherwise, they probably would not be asking for help. So why should I assume they have enough food to sustain this character? This is the conclusion I came up with after dwelling on this question a bit.

If you do come across it Angelus, I would love to know where to find it.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
David touches upon this but i want to highlight it

I am reading a book now called "On Hitler's Mountain", a memoir by a woman who was a small German child during WW2. She said that it became common unspoken courtesy to leave a friend's house well before dinner so that the family wouldn't feel the social pressure of asking you to stay and eat with them (sharing their insufficient supplies with you).

In a world of shortages, even amongst friendlies, our subconscious idea of what's normal doesn't apply. So assuming that the family you're helping would share their food with you is the ignorant assumption of us privileged who have never known true hand to mouth desperate survival.

The game's world is worse off than Untersalzberg in WW2 so i would posit that not only might you help someone expecting nothing in return (as nobody has enough for themselves), but that it's hit such a low point that the social pressure to ask someone to stay for dinner isn't even a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe, thank you so much for sharing! This is very eye opening indeed!

This game does paint a very morbid and realistic picture of civilians in a war torn environment under siege. It's horrific to think that this was/is a reality for people all over the world.

I absolutely love the underlying message that this game brings to the table and I applaud the developers of this board game and the video game for not sugar coating any aspect of this. The fact that both versions of This War of Mine can drive the point that it's trying to make home, but still have it be addictive and fun is truly something special!

I couldn't even imagine having to go through any of this for real.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Côté
Canada
montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way i play is when survivor leave to help in any way. I give it water and food (if i have) he can eat anytime during the game.
i remember one chapter in the book where one of my survivor was on an interogation for a long time and it was stipulate on the texte that this survivor is considerate to be OUT OF THE GAME until the end of interogation.So this one dont need to be feeded or they dont have to drink water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.