Jeremy Hall

California
msg tools
Hi All!

Another ruling question from yours truly. This time it pertains to the secondary effects that some Surprises have when they are stacked onto characters. In short: do the secondary abilities need to able to trigger or have a target in order for you to play the card in the first place?

Example: I have "Jack Skellington" in play and decide I want to Stack "Look what you've done" onto him because it's going to help me activate a Locale he is at or I simply want the extra point added to my total at the end of the game, HOWEVER, my opponent does not have a copy of "Oogie Boogie" in play.

Am I allowed to Stack this Surprise on Jack for the extra point even though the secondary effect has no target/will not be able to trigger?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Would the secondary effects be optional as well?

Example (however unlikely as this would be): I decide to Stack "Look what you've done" onto my "Jack Skellington" and my opponent HAS an "Oogie Boogie" out, but for whatever reason, can I decide NOT to return him to their hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Marvel Strike Teams (2018)
badge
Marvel Strike Teams: November 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the wording of the card, but in the case of "Look what you've done", the second part only triggers if the opponent's Oogie is in play. So you are allowed to play the card without that being the case.

If the opponent DOES have Oogie in play, however, you must return Oogie to the opponent's hand because the card does not say "may", which would denote that the effect is optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hall

California
msg tools
Thanks Andrew!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.