18 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Box as stretch goal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Melbourne
Victoria
msg tools
Whilst I appreciate the thought and effort that has gone into the campaign, a lot of these stretch goals are perhaps... meh? Getting a glow in the dark gate will have no meaning to a number of backers I suspect. That is not to denigrate the stretch goal or the piece, I just don't find it a practical addition. Personally I think stretch goals that improve quality of life are important, and they have been few and far between. So I've a suggestion to help with this balance.

To me, the most important QOL improvement that could be made would be an additional large box. I believe this would knock off two birds with one stone. Firstly people who have a damaged core box could instead use the new "stretch goal" box as a replacement. Secondly, and more importantly, it would allow many of us a central location to store all these wonderful components and expansions. I don't like having lots of smaller little boxes and clutter on my shelves, and I think others would be similar. Having this box would consolidate all these pieces.

While it is a lot to ask for, I think there are some obvious caveats that would accompany such a proposition. Firstly there wouldn't be an insert for the stretch goal box. It would simply be an empty box that people could use. It would be impossible to design an insert that could accommodate all the possible expansion permutations. This reduces issues with time and cost. The second foreseeable issue would be the size and shipping of such a box. By keeping the box empty, expansions and add-ons could be shipped within the box. This prevents costs from ballooning on shipping.

Personally I would happily forgo all stretch goals between here and a million to make the milestone a big, difference making unlock. However, I know that not everyone will agree, so feel free to chime in.

Love the game, thanks again for all the hard work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if we are going to make stretch goals that improve the quality of life, than I would like an immortality serum or certain essential salts instead of a box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the box issue has been addressed somewhere; basically, shipping for a box is super high, even with the light weight, because of the volume. So I wouldn't count on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*Deleted original statement.

So many of you were saying 10-20 pounds that I read the FAQ on the Kickstarter. The "weight" is what it costs to ship, not what the game actually weighs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
Night fell and the hours dragged on, but still we murmured to each other of the King and the Pallid Mask, and midnight sounded from the misty spires in the fog-wrapped city.
badge
We spoke of Hastur and of Cassilda, while outside the fog rolled against the blank window-panes as the cloud waves roll and break on the shores of Hali.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not design whatever box the stetch goals are going to come in to be such a replacement box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buruburub wrote:
Why not design whatever box the stetch goals are going to come in to be such a replacement box?
Because the idea is that the replacement box is at least as large as the base game. I doubt we'll hit stretch goals of that volume (keeping in mind that not all stretch goals will actually go into the stretch goal box, e.g. Haunter)
Of course it would be better to make an already needed box larger rather than add a second large box, but it doesn't actually solve any of the problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
Night fell and the hours dragged on, but still we murmured to each other of the King and the Pallid Mask, and midnight sounded from the misty spires in the fog-wrapped city.
badge
We spoke of Hastur and of Cassilda, while outside the fog rolled against the blank window-panes as the cloud waves roll and break on the shores of Hali.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
buruburub wrote:
Because the idea is that the replacement box is at least as large as the base game. I doubt we'll hit stretch goals of that volume (keeping in mind that not all stretch goals will actually go into the stretch goal box, e.g. Haunter)
Of course it would be better to make an already needed box larger rather than add a second large box, but it doesn't actually solve any of the problems.

Yeah, fair enough. To be completely honest I am fine with my O2 stuff sitting in the box they came in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
You can get storage boxes from your local supermarket (for free). The game/expansions will also come in a delivery box. There's zero percent chance of PG offering this. Not only does it cost a lot to ship, but PG like focusing on game-related content (and thank goodness for that).

The cultists/investigators are fully-fledged mini-expansions. They're pretty awesome. The additional content unlocks for expansions, while not useful for everybody, are a necessity due to CW's production cost.

It is highly likely the final stretch goal will be additional faction rules. Probably Azathoth, given the new sculpt. The glow gate hints towards this too - a gray colored faction couldn't have a gray gate to match because they're colored that way by default.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You say, that the gitd gate is something not every backer needs, but ask for an empty box instead...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Croft
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A box sounds great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer a box over more than half the SGs that are unlocked at the moment, but I do realize the restrictions and difficulties involved with shipping such a box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Copp
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there have been a few suggestions in the forums about storage solutions for CW, which is certainly a challenge. Any of those would be more feasible than a stretch goal I suspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Quote:
I believe the box issue has been addressed somewhere; basically, shipping for a box is super high, even with the light weight, because of the volume. So I wouldn't count on it.

The flip side of this is that they could sell it as a $50 add-on to cover their asses with shipping and people would still pledge for it. Help justify the cost by including a small expansion inside the box if you're worried about people balking at the price point. Between that and the cost of shipping for the rest of their pledge, which they would smartly package inside the large box so as to save space and not necessitate a yet larger package or a second package, they would be more than covered in terms of shipping, and most people wouldn't bat an eye.

Quote:
3. Carrying around TWO enourmous 10lbs+ boxes doesn't sound like much fun.

If its a large enough box it could be a single enormous 10lb box that contains your entire game.

Quote:
4. There are other, better storage options out there. i.e. Game Plus Products pluck foam and case

This is not a better storage solution. For one thing, this takes up more space than a large box would, probably on par with keeping all the separate packaging that the game and expansions come in. Another issue is that its fairly expensive and gross overkill to the vast majority of backers who don't paint their minis. Finally, if you were trying to take your entire collection to a friends house you would **STILL** need to carry multiple 10+ pound bags/boxes, so this doesn't in any way resolve #3.

In any case, a smartly produced carboard storage box with nice "Cthulhu Wars" packaging is way cheaper to produce and ship than the handcrafted wood crate that Sandy and Arthur were suggesting people to buy during OS2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Reardon
msg tools
The boxes for the expansions are fine, but the new core box is an improvement I am adamant about getting to replace my old 1st Kickstarter box. Don't get me wrong, I love the big clunky insert that came with it, but the newer designed one is so much nicer for a space conservation factor. I don't carry the core factions in the box itself honestly, simply because they don't fit.

I'd be content just getting to pay for the new core box and insert on their own as an add on than a stretch goal. A new box wouldn't be good since you don't want to have every single expansion added in at once. That's too much. Carrying a few boxes is better than one huge one that only 30% of the contents might hit the table in a night.

Also, the stretch goals are just perfect for me. What do you guys want to see in there? Stuff we've already done?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
dande313 wrote:

First, you're looking at a lot more than 10lbs, no matter how you look at it.

Yes, I'm aware. I was using the number you stated for brevity.

Quote:
If you want an enormous box that holds everything, you might as well just get a Sterilite box

If I wanted an ugly plastic bin to throw it all in, I would get an ugly plastic bin to throw it all in. Thats not the point.

Quote:
Another thing to remember is carboard is WEAK.

Its actually not. I've stood on top of game boxes before without any damage to the box itself. In a couple cases I have board game boxes which I've stuffed full of expansion content that weight 30-50 lbs and have no issues whatsoever (other than not being able to close the lid fully, anyway).

Quote:
And actually, it takes up less space than the large core box. It is $60 on sale, for both the bag and the foam required to hold the base game and a single faction expansion (less space still). And they are MUCH easier to carry around.

I own 6 of these bags (for other hobbies). By my estimation I would need at least 3 to fully fit the entire game, including all expansions. Thats quite a bit of space.

I'm actually surprised you managed to squeeze the core game in a single one. IIRC during OS2 Sandy said that they needed 2 Battlefoam 1520XLs (which I also own 2 of - they take up *a lot* of space) to fit the entire core game and all the expansion content inside of foam trays. The 1520 is significantly larger than the bag you posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.