Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing around with the iOS app to get a feel for it while I am waiting for my game to arrive.

I have some comments and some potential bug reports.

1) Last 10 Sounds Missing
I really would like to restate my desire to see the ability to replay the last ten clues in order in all modes of play. I like that this option exists in retro mode.

2) UI Problem with Switching Difficulty Modes
Setting the difficulty is baffling. It sits visible on the bottom of the screen, and if you click "new game" and attempt to change the setting, the drop down list of difficulties is frozen. You have to then click "Stop Thief" to change the difficulty setting. If the difficulty setting cannot be changed, then do not allow people to enter the difficulty settings or prompt the user with popups telling them what you expect them to do. Entering the settings and having the iOS device provide no feedback at all and no ability to change the setting is very confusing.

3) Many Problems with Custom Difficulties:

I found a bunch of confusing stuff when creating custom game difficulties:

a) If you select the "Classic," click "Create," and create a new style of crime scanner with a new name, it renames the pre-programmed "Classic" mode to match your new creation. This ends up with two completely different scanner files with the same name. Because you cannot "Edit" the Classic mode, it has its name changed for a while. I say, "for a while," because sometimes if you exit the app and come back, the "Classic" setting is renamed correctly. If you have multiple custom settings based off of "classic" mode, the classic mode adopts the name of the last one that you created.

b) You have a problem with the mode selection tool. It seems like you can create more custom modes than can actually be displayed. You cannot actually scroll to see them, but you instead see them as you delete other modes. Either allow the scroll or limit the number of customs. The current results are baffling.

c) Sometimes the custom game difficulties created do not even show up in the list. I suspect that this bug is related to 2b.

d) How do you access the full range of options for the thief staying in the same place? I seem to only have the ability to select "rarely" stays in the same place and "never" stays in the same place on the custom menu (which you get by checking or unchecking the "occasionally stay in the same location" checkbox).

e) like 2d, there's a bug with selecting "always move through doors and windows." Checking it just makes the difficulty "often" goes through doors and windows. This seems like a bug.

f) I unchecked "always" move through doors and windows, saved, and then the app switched back to "always" move through doors and windows.

g) if you do not edit the difficulty setting's name, then you cannot save it, but the app does not let you know that; do not gray out "save," but create a dialog telling people they must name their game settings before they will be allowed to save.

h) I strongly suggest that when you click "create" it creates a copy of whatever mode was just selected prior to clicking "create" so that you can start editing a copy of that mode. This would allow you to change the sounds or which board you are using, while keeping the AI selections unchanged.

i) I created a custom mode. I tried to start a new game. I clicked other modes of play. I clicked "retro," and instead of taking me to a retro mode of play, it had selected one of the custom modes of play.

4) Standard Mode Comments:

I tested the Standard mode, and it was super duper boring. The thief would keep robbing the same store over and over again, then wander outside for a few steps, and then come right back into the original store. It only very rarely changed to a new building. Maybe that's just as intended, but I would not suggest that as a standard mode of play. Maybe advertise that as a beginner's mode, but otherwise it seems pretty boring compared to the classic game.

5) Tips
Why isn't there a sound that plays when you get a tip? That seems like an oversight.

Sadly, this seems like it was not ready for launch. There are a lot of confusing UI issues and potential bugs. I still have hope, but the app is not where I want it to be yet.

Lee Valentine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
6) No Warning on Exiting Retro Mode
If you click exit on accident, you are out. Why no confirmation before exiting?

7) Footsteps
This sounds more like knocking on a door or hammering than footsteps. It is also really long. Make the footstep sound much shorter so it doesn't disrupt play; it is between 1.5 and 2 times longer than some other sounds.

8) Tips in Retro Mode
These don't work well. Show the tip for the duration of the touch, and not just for a fraction of a second after releasing the button.

9) Sound Goof in Retro Mode
The scanner makes a tiny beep sometimes if you do not hold the key down long enough. I suppose this is supposed to be a joke on the old plastic crime scanner. It's not funny to me. Also, in this version of the game, the little beep is archived in the list of ten sounds, effectively denying the user the ability to review some of the real sounds.

10) Classic Subway Sound
I think the classic subway sound on the physical scanner was a chugging sound followed by the traveling down the street sound. I think that in the retro mode you cut the latter part of that sound off; you only have chugging portion of the sound. I will have to check my real scanner to test my memory to see if I'm right given that it has been about 25 years since I played frequently with my scanner.

11) Retro Crime Scanner Freeze
I tried a tip and an arrest. Instead of the victory siren or the mocking "na na na na na na" that should occur when the thief escapes, there was a sound of broken glass, and the crime scanner froze. I couldn't even exit back to the home screen. I had to force quit the whole app. I think this was an escape, but the escape sound was missing, and the app froze. Also, I can't remember how many free moves the thief is supposed to get on an escape, but here it was only one.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maltzen

Texas
msg tools
Thanks for the good feedback!

I confirmed that several of the problems you listed are bugs we missed, especially with the retro keypad mode. We should have them fixed with the next patch. It looks like a couple of the retro keypad-mode bugs were introduced with some late changes that were only supposed to affect the modern mode. I can definitely confirm that I fixed at least points 8, 9, 10, and 11 today.

A few things that might not be bugs:

The "beep" in retro keypad mode *should* be consistent with the original "Crime Scanner" device. There are really two versions here: when you hit a number key and there is no history for that turn (with 0 as the latest move and then 1-9 for older moves), and when the thief decides to stay at a location, which should only happen when you press the "Clue" button (aside from a bug with that also showing up in the move history).

We'd love more detail on the issues with the problems you have with custom settings (aside from the "always goes through doors" issue, which was one of the things that was definitely a bug - it was inverting the value of that setting). It seems like several of them are related to the lists of options, which *should* be swipe-scrollable, even if it's not obvious. If you could add any more details you have on those over at our bug tracker at https://bugs.hiddenachievement.com/projects/restoration-game... it would help out a lot so we can keep track of them and ask for extra information if we need it.

Jason (app dev)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for taking the time to record these observations, Lee. We are committed to constantly improving the app, and that kind of feedback is invaluable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope the recording I sent helps you track down some bugs and UI issues. I look forward to seeing the next release. Thanks for your efforts.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason, any idea when the next version of the app is due out?

Thanks for your efforts.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To piggy back off of Lee's bugs/improvements:

I did a play of this and noticed that you can't see the thief's replay if you click on the yes/no for winning the game. If you click yes, it says you won, if you click no, it goes right to the next crime.

It would be great if you could see the replay of the previous thief after the next one starts, maybe a 'See previous replay' button or something, or if you won, the app could give you a list of the thieves and you could replay the ones you want.

Other than that, the app worked good, and knowing when to play that private tip card was key, otherwise you had an ever expanding tree of possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
farsidehobbes wrote:
To piggy back off of Lee's bugs/improvements:

I did a play of this and noticed that you can't see the thief's replay if you click on the yes/no for winning the game. If you click yes, it says you won, if you click no, it goes right to the next crime.

It would be great if you could see the replay of the previous thief after the next one starts, maybe a 'See previous replay' button or something, or if you won, the app could give you a list of the thieves and you could replay the ones you want.

Other than that, the app worked good, and knowing when to play that private tip card was key, otherwise you had an ever expanding tree of possibilities.

I'm curious why you would need to see a prior thief's movement. Adding that in on later screens would add a lot of clunkiness without any payoff that I can see. Would you mind elaborating on your thoughts about that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maltzen

Texas
msg tools
We're currently sorting out which additional changes and fixes we want to have go into the next build. That process was slowed down a little with Gen Con, but the next version should be ready very soon. All that's holding it up at the moment is the question "do we want to include anything else?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinDJacobson wrote:

I'm curious why you would need to see a prior thief's movement. Adding that in on later screens would add a lot of clunkiness without any payoff that I can see. Would you mind elaborating on your thoughts about that?

I think what they really want is to have the app ask you whether to show a replay or move on to the next crime. Right now, it's not clear to a novice user what will happen when they answer the question posed, and they may not realize that they are skipping the replay.

The watch replay button may not catch a user's eye, and if someone clicks "no" right now, it instantly moves to the next crime with no chance for a replay. The person with the scanner may answer the posed question a hair too fast, denying everyone else the right to see the replay.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
I never realized the replay button was available until my son spotted it. It's pretty easy to miss it in the excitement of moving on to the next thief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, if you click "yes," saying you have enough money to win, and then click the back button after realizing that you should have said "no," the app doesn't rewind to the "yes"/"no" screen; it takes you back before the last arrest. If you rearrest, I'm guessing that the thief could escape this time with a "na na na na na na," creating a prolonged nuisance if you are on the advanced mode where you can't tip your way into an instant arrest to get the crime scanner back where it should be. That's a bug, not a feature.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:
The watch replay button may not catch a user's eye, and if someone clicks "no" right now, it instantly moves to the next crime with no chance for a replay.

That's the reason. For the very first thief we played I wanted to see the replay but clicked the No button and it immediately moved me to the next crime.

It may be better if the yes/no button didn't do a full page turn but instead then presented a 'Start the next crime' button or something with the Replay button still visible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
farsidehobbes wrote:
hudarklord wrote:
The watch replay button may not catch a user's eye, and if someone clicks "no" right now, it instantly moves to the next crime with no chance for a replay.

That's the reason. For the very first thief we played I wanted to see the replay but clicked the No button and it immediately moved me to the next crime.

It may be better if the yes/no button didn't do a full page turn but instead then presented a 'Start the next crime' button or something with the Replay button still visible.

I agree. I think this is a little lower on my wish list because it is a problem with the user interface design rather than a bug. If you know where the problem is, you can get the thing to work pretty easily right now. In the long run, after the other bugs are fixed, this is a good thing to fix.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maltzen

Texas
msg tools
Good suggestion on making it easier to get back to the replay button. I've added that and the bug with the back button post-arrest going back too far to our bug tracker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Auken
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded app but I am getting absolutely no sounds (music or clues). I have phone volume up, get sound in other apps, and checked Stop Thief settings to make sure volume levels are OK.

Anyone else run into this? I tried deleting and re-installing but that did not help. The app itself appears to be working OK as I see clue screens etc just no sounds at all.

Hopefully, I am just overlooking something stupid, but I cannot figure it out. (Will also try installing on my ipad later)

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, we're not getting reports of similar bugs on iOS devices. If you continue to have trouble, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.