Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Attempt at a full co-op - help appreciated rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete & his SO
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this game a) is very luck dependent and b) can screw you over big time, we saw several games where one player was basically out of the game in round four (second or third Reaver attack in a row). On the other hand, if someone takes the risk and is lucky, they can forge ahead by leaps and bounds. In my games, it's not rare for someone to attempt a third goal when others have one or even none completed.

Likewise, unless you go pirate and actively attack other players, there is little interaction (multi-player solitaire syndrome), unless you count some competition for jobs and supply cards.

And - since buying Arkham Horror back in the day we really enjoy co-op games. So I thought, what about this?

I know there is a co-op variant on this board where you apply a co-op rule to the normal set-ups, but I wanted something different where you can more or less go where you like but have a common goal to pursue. So this is what I came up with:

1) I play the game with Blue Sun and Kalidasa (that's important for the timing and the rules below, you might need an adaptation for the smaller game board).

2) The usual set-up, but without a set-up or goal card. No more Harken jobs after the initial choice (too easy).

3) Place one goal token in every corner of the board.

4) Whenever a player completes a mission, move on goal token three spaces towards Londinium. For only the basic map, you might have to modify this or the game length (see below).

5) Take any goal token reaching Londinium out of the game.

6) After a round in which no job was completed, move one goal token back one space if possible (for this, I found it pays to have a warrant token somewhere close to the board which gets turned over when a job is completed and turned to the warrant side at the beginning of a turn).

7) The players win when all goal tokens are out of the game.

The first try went all right and took me 20 rounds. Now I am thinking about these questions:

a) Obviously when you are playing together you should help each other out. So handing over some fuel as an action should definitely be possible. What about handing over job cards and cargo/passengers, for a fee? Should that be possible and should the player taking over the job pay off the first player's crew?

b) There should be a time limit to win the game. I'm thinking about setting limits for a hard, medium and easy game. 20 for medium sounds about right. But that will take some more testing. What do you think?

c) I'm still working on a theme for this to write in the set-up card and I am a bit nonplussed. Maybe ambassadors on their space yachts who only come close to the summit meeting for successful businessmen/criminals :-)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pete,

Here's a thread where we worked on a co-op idea a while back:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/24314616#24314616

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete & his SO
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting aspect. I wasn't actually thinking of doing skill tests in co-op as that heavily influences difficulty and game time. Too many variables for my taste. For example, getting more rolls and choosing the best makes Niska jobs much less risky and therefore more useful and more profitable on average. I was not intending to tinker with the existing system that far.
I was just thinking of "handing over" jobs and the cargo/passengers/whatnot going with it to install a kind of relay system and make the completing of jobs more efficient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bluepirate77 wrote:
a) Obviously when you are playing together you should help each other out. So handing over some fuel as an action should definitely be possible. What about handing over job cards and cargo/passengers, for a fee? Should that be possible and should the player taking over the job pay off the first player's crew?

The basic game rules already allow for players to buy/sell/trade with each other as far as Crew, Fuel, Parts, Cargo, Contraband, Ship Upgrades and Gear.

It doesn't require an action, but both ships have to be in the same sector.
However buying/selling/trading passengers or fugitives is not covered in the basic rules, nor is trading Jobs.

Of course, when you are creating a variant, any and all basic rules can be adapted/supplanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete & his SO
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I will take that into account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Luken
United States
Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
[q="bluepirate77"]It doesn't require an action, but both ships have to be in the same sector.
However buying/selling/trading passengers or fugitives is not covered in the basic rules, nor is trading Jobs.

Of course, when you are creating a variant, any and all basic rules can be adapted/supplanted.

Don't have the rules handy, but I believe that trading passengers/fugitives is explicitly prohibited by the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete & his SO
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I assumed. For my co-op version, I'd like to introduce it to help with the longer runs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.