Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Parks
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmb
A few questions about timing and mechanics of subversion...

Our current understanding is that subversion takes place in the morale phase. The question is the morale loss purchased through political points in this phase rolled for separately? Or is the political point purchased effect combined with the net of the turn's results on morale and morale effect purchased during the production phase?

The other question is should the production spend on morale be known to all players before purchasing subversion points? Order of play would suggest that is the case but seems to make subversion a pretty powerful technique.

Thanks in advance for any guidance provided.

Enjoying the game. Late 1915, Russian front has stagnated, AH failed their first shot at Trieste, took some losses in an Adriatic naval battle, but getting ready to try again. Germans began pushing into 2nd row in France, have carved out two hexes so probably there to stay. Turks have pushed over the Suez Canal and taken Cairo but have probably short changed the Caucausus front, Russians have begun to push forward there. British cleaning up their various colonial fronts, trying to clean up raiders and keep convoys moving.

Russia seems strong in this game compared to historical accounts. Units are not much worse than the Germans and they seem to have more holding power than in real life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since subversion happens during the morale phase and the rule doesn't explicitly state that this generates a separate morale roll, I think it would be combined with all the other factors hitting morale into a single number.

Production happens before morale and production is open information. But the rules are silent on whether production (building units, etc) is done in any particular order. So, absent anything stating that country X gets to know what country Y has paid for before X decides what to do, that no you do NOT have foreknowledge of somebody else's subversion attempts OR what somebody else is spending on home front.

(This is based on RAW 1.1g as posted here on BGG)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Parks
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Wendell for the quick response. We also felt it was logical to combine the subversion number with the other morale effects. But as you say since production is open and precedes the morale phase, I would think than that you get to make the political point purchase of subversion knowing what the enemy morale number is after all turn effects and production, but the actual purchase of the subversion points is hidden and revealed simultaneously. Not that big of a deal as the purchases do not interact as do the political influence rolls.

Thanks again for the info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
parksie555 wrote:
Thanks Wendell for the quick response. We also felt it was logical to combine the subversion number with the other morale effects. But as you say since production is open and precedes the morale phase, I would think than that you get to make the political point purchase of subversion knowing what the enemy morale number is after all turn effects and production, but the actual purchase of the subversion points is hidden and revealed simultaneously. Not that big of a deal as the purchases do not interact as do the political influence rolls.

Thanks again for the info.

Yeah - since you "buy" subversion with pol. points, I think doing it simultaneously/secretly is probably best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.