Subject: Hero motivation and goals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A chat on Facebook made me think of something. So anyone can get keywords which generally only opens them up to a few abilities and then enables or disables town areas(and can affect some encounters like with the Scafford Gang elite ability) and of course lets them use keyword restricted items. Other than that, it's pretty shallow. So this made me think, What if there were motivations and goals for certain keywords. Like Law, Outlaw, Holy, Tribal, Frontier, Strange, Alien, Performer(heck the list goes on and on). So the neat thing would be to have motivations, perhaps goals that the hero must attain. Probably something similar to the goals that the characters have in Gloomhaven. Especially tie these in with the job board and other elements of hex-crawl. The motivations deck would be objectives to achieve. Outlaw, pull of the big heist, or catch the person who set him up and put him on the Outlaw path. The Frontier is to help create a homestead or rebuild the town that was destroyed. Holy is to bring god to a godless town. Tribal is to defend your tribal lands from desecration. The list could go on and on. The motivations and goals would weave through mine/otherworld encounters, overland hexcrawl encounters, hexcrawl jobs, town encounters/events, and overall hero leveling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christofer Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love the idea! I have been thinking of how to put some more rpg aspects in to the game and this is something that really could add tones to the experience. One thought that I had, after reading this, was to make the in pairs of tree. One main goal in life, catch the person who set him up, which maybe never can be reached but once it is done will alter the character. A second goal that is more a character trait that will give xp and might restrict the character, alcoholic may never give someone else whisky or gin but receives 5 xp for every sanity damaged heeled through drinking. And a third that is more a shorter goal that will be changed through the camapin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Caine
msg tools
Sounds good. Would this be one big goal with several sub-objectives, or a number of goals which can be done in any order, or several goals which cancel each other out, or something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.