3 Posts

Runebound (Third Edition): Unbreakable Bonds» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rogue's Garb needs FAQ or House Rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nippel Hack
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own the expansion, but today I simply played a solo game of the base game by using a picture of the Warrior Combat Board.

During the game Corbin gained the Rogue's Garb and finally faced Margath. And then I realised that the dragon had to spent all it's damage tokens at once (source: Unbreakable Bonds Rules). So I could use the surge ability of the Garb (Dodge) to cancel even the biggest attacks.

I houseruled it that the dragon used only one damage token to cancel this surge abilty.

But I think an official FAQ should also address this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an interesting situation, but yeah: where it would definitely make more sense to burn only one skull to handle the Dodge ability (thus giving the defender another action before making the big hit), would the AI do that or instead blow its whole attack? It certainly does depend on a particular combination of symbols on both sides for it to play out that way, though, so maybe you're lucky for that round but perhaps not so much on the next?

I dealt with a recent battle against a Sorcerer in which we were both down to 1 health, he won initiative and had enough skulls to kill me outright, but the board priority was that he'd use his Double token to beef up his Surges first and so I had the opportunity to strike first and barely win.

In some ways this doesn't seem right (because it would certainly be different in a competitive game), but from another perspective I like the idea that the enemy boards seem designed to play more to their type's strengths. So, in the case above with the Sorcerer (Mystic), he'd logically be focused on Surges to power his spell abilities because they're more effective than straight-up skull use, regardless of ideal timing.

While I think the approach is meant to be a little more forgiving for solo/coop play, I also believe the intended tradeoff for moments like these is the counterbalance provided by additional bonuses each type gets for certain situations (like Warriors always adding +1 skull to their attacks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a balancing act. Do the foes get smart action selections (via another player controlling them ala base game) or do they get the bonuses conferred by the combat board, but with less smart choices? I don't think it would be "fair" if they got both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.