Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few games with the driver powers and it kind of just felt too easy. Either we basically didn't have to worry about wear, or could line up exactly the right cubes, or something else that made it feel like decisions didn't have as much consequence.

How have other people's experiences been? Are the drivers balanced? Are you having fun with them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They seem to be cleverly imbalanced.

Do I think that they are too powerful? Yes, to the point that getting the right non-gear cubes to support your driver is an important skill that you need to develop to maximize his/her potential. The races are definitely faster which does 2 things that I like.

The longer races where skill beats an all out sprinter (5 laps is best) and the importance of gear diversity and blocking. IMO they can be a red herring and provide a false sense of security. You have to know/learn how to enhance your driver's ability.

I am having the fun with the drivers but have concerns about the sponsors and their seeming (as written) one dimensional ability. I have adapted the sponsors to fit what I think is their real intention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason M
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've only played one game with the drivers so far, and I have mixed feelings about them.

--My driver let me discard and draw cubes in my end phase, which helped me have more control over my turns
--My one friend had the driver that let him draw 3 cubes in his buy phase and either discard, keep or bag any of them. That gave him more ability to buy and also bag management
--But my other friend had the driver who gets to move an extra grey space for every wear accumulated in the decline phase. So, he would drive through dark grey or black nearly every turn and had 3 or 4 extra movement. It made an enormous difference, and the wear never once negatively affected him, and he won by a mile. He came one space away from lapping me.

Maybe subsequent races in our campaign will change things, maybe my friend just got lucky with his movement, maybe driver #10 is actually stronger than the other 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.